GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 19, 2024, 12:51:20 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My precious cpu...  (Read 4374 times)

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
My precious cpu...
« on: April 20, 2011, 06:14:28 am »

I was encoding a video with HandBrake on my AMD Phenom 9600 Agena 2.3GHz processor and suddenly a bsod popped up.

Bsod was MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION - 0x0000009C

I thought it was just a overheating issue with the cpu, since im encoding a dvd and cpu temp was 53c. So i opened the case up and let out some steam. Turned off the pc, back on and ran handbrake again and continued to encode the bastard.

piece of shit bsod came again and the last cpu temp i saw was 51c. I was WTF! I have new memory sticks, new gpu, so either mobo or cpu issue. MCE or machine check exception means its a hardware problem.

I was like ok im going to swap out my phenom cpu and go over to my other computer (which i use for repairs) and use that cpu thats in there which is a amd athlon 64 x2 4200. Shoved that bitch in my motherboard, turned the thing on and ran handbrake again to see what happens with a different cpu. Miraculously no bsods, handbrake was at 15% and still encoding and things were stable.

I had no fucking problems with my phenom for 3 yrs. Suddenly it gave up. Ive been playing GES, CSS, UT2004, other games, and no issues. I think if it uses all 4 cores, either one of the cores has a issue, or i read in a forum that a bad CPU cache could cause MCE bsod to appear.

Any one had a cpu that acted up on you? Now im running a amd athlon 64 x2 2.4ghz. It runs pretty nice. X4 cpus are a bit slow in certain apps. If the application was coded to support 4 cores, then it runs fast!

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 06:15:59 am by osaeed2k9 »

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
Re: My precious cpu...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 06:59:39 am »

Did you stress test the X4 to 100% check that was it? Odds are it is, but maybe Handbrake got corrupt or something.

Run Prime95 and get all cores 100% and double check with that.

Computer parts die. I recently had a pcix slot die on a mobo, random stuff breaks. Luckily AMD is pretty cheap, so should be able to pick up a replacement/better one for less than $150.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 09:00:29 am »

This is the second time in my life that I see a CPU die, You must have had some pretty bad luck...
But as Major said, AMD is really cheap indeed. A quad from AMD should cost around an hundred bucks, Probably no more than 150.

Best of luck with the tests, Hope you find an alternative instead of buying a new one. (If you are planning to buy one, That is)

jjmusicnotes

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 08:18:08 pm »

Using a program like TMonitor, you could also figure out which core is dying on you (if that is the case,) and then disable that particular core in the BIOS.

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 01:23:42 am »

Thanks a lot guys. Right now im installing xp on my other computer with the phenom in there. Once i get it setup, ill run prime 95 and tmonitor.

@ Major, yea im gonna run handbrake on the other pc and see if it bsods. Then i can verify when it bsod's that the cpu is the culprit and shoot it with a klobb!  :P

EDIT: So i ran prime95 for like 20mins and got it to Test 4 without BSODS.

I then decided to try handbrake and see if it would work. I ran handbrake and as of now its still encoding the video.

The other pc thats running handbrake is Windows xp pro x86 and my pc where the bsod originally started is running Windows xp pro x64

Prob the windows x64 just sucks. I heard the os is crappy.. but i haven't had any other issues besides that.

My last test will be to go over my other pc, install Windows x64 and try to run HB again and encode to see if its the operating system or not.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 05:55:28 am by osaeed2k9 »

Kinky

• Level Designer / Environment Artist
  • Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Kinky has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 09:26:10 am »

XPx64 is indeed awful. I had major problems encoding video on it at uni, gave up and used my Win7x64 system instead.

Currently in Progress - ge_jungle
Pages: [1]   Go Up