GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 09:59:16 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The James Bond Theme  (Read 4549 times)

terps4life90

The James Bond Theme
« on: September 03, 2011, 06:54:54 pm »

I am posted my bond theme hear now because it is finished, I have put so much into this theme, I think it turned out better then I expected. Here you go guys: http://www.4shared.com/audio/gEGrryj5/James_Bond_007_New_Theme.html

Tell me what you think.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 07:00:43 pm by terps4life90 »

jjmusicnotes

Re: The James Bond Theme
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 11:12:58 pm »

Your mix is really weird.

The stereo mix sounds like it's about an inch wide.  I don't mind the piano panned to the right but it's quite pronounced and does not fit in the texture.  Also, it's pretty bright sounding.

I get that your mixing synth stuff with "live" instruments, but some of the frequencies of the synth are bleeding through the mix and making it sound muddy / cluttered.

EQ is your friend!  Also, widening your stereo field would definitely help with everything not being stuck in the center channel.

Before you go to the "B" section, you've got 2 extra measures of vamping I believe, and that makes the transition awkward.  It would sound much better as a seamless transition.

For some things, you have synth sounds taking the place of the "live" instruments during important moments.  This is weird because you still have the "live" instruments doing the accompaniment, so the melody / important part sounds unsupported.

If you listen to Sole Signal's or Bass's tracks, they do a great job of using the synth sounds as augmentations to the texture instead of substitutions.

Right now to me you're mix sounds like an inverted hourglass - all the frequencies in the middle with the ends chopped off.  If you put a hi/low pass notch filter on your mix, you might want to bring it down a little and balance out your sound.

I hope those comments help and I would say this is a good first draft!

Keep truckin'!  :)

terps4life90

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 11:57:40 pm »

Thank you JJmusicnotes :) your advice is greatly apppericated! This version here is the one that hasn't been edited yet, i thought it was worth uploading, all the notes are in the right spot so on and so forth, you will notice a huge difference in the finish version. If i fixed all the things you pointed out, you think it will sound great....professionally? Is the brass section too loud that starts in the beginning? does the first piano need to be louder on the second riff? What is your thought on the outro?

jjmusicnotes

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 04:11:33 am »

I think that if you fixed all of the things I pointed out, you'd have a good second draft.

Yes, the brass is a bit too loud.

The way you have your strings arranged in the beginning doesn't make sense.  You have some of the strings vamping and they are quiet and slightly panned to the left, and then you have other strings in the center that are much louder - that would never happen in real life.

About the piano, the "first" piano is in the center while the "second" piano is panned far right - that also would never happen in real life.  The volume of the first piano is fine I think, the volume of the 2nd is quite distracting however.

As for "all the right notes" I would encourage you to listen to 1:40 - you have a tri-tone there and I'm certain there shouldn't be any.

In all honesty the ending is pretty weak in terms of being effective.  I think you have the right idea in terms of style down, but if you listen to the London Philharmonic play the James Bond theme, it's much more effective if you have the brass do that ending riff - it's also a bit more "true" to the original arrangement.

The beginning kinda throws me off too - it's quiet, and then all of a sudden goes into it.  You should either just start right into it or develop a smoother introduction or something.

I know it's a lot to digest, but I see you posting a lot of things on here, so I'm trying to help you get better at something you like to do.  After all, what's better than getting better at things you like doing?

Keep us updated with your work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up