GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 11:13:04 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to set up Arsenal as the old Gun Game?  (Read 8720 times)

GamerXYZ

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • GamerXYZ has no influence.
How to set up Arsenal as the old Gun Game?
« on: October 12, 2018, 02:01:18 am »

Offline (just a "server" with bots, so it doesn't matter if the edits kill my ability to play online) I'd like to play Arsenal with a 16-weapon set that only requires 1 kill each to go to the next level, just like the old Gun Game was. Is there any way to do this?

EDIT: Figured out how to make it require only 1 kill, but I still need to know how to have it allow a 16-weapon set like it used to.

EDIT2: have another question as well, so rather than making another topic I ask it here: how do you add the 4.2 maps to GE:S 5.0? For instance, while the current ge_runway is pretty great with all the stuff to hide behind, I'm still missing the old ge_runway where the wide open space could lead to silly shootouts.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 01:18:27 am by GamerXYZ »

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 372
  • Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!
Re: How to set up Arsenal as the old Gun Game?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 09:03:44 pm »

You could potentially just copy the old Arsenal file from 4.2 and whatever maps you care to have into your 5.0 installation.  You'll need to download the .zip for 4.2 for this.  4.2 Arsenal will need some small updates I imagine but if you have any experience with Python it should be easy.  Another option is to just modify the 5.0 Arsenal to use a premade weapon list instead of dynamically building from the weaponset, just replace the code block starting at line 112 to just set self.weaponList to something like the weaponList array in GunTrade.

Hope this helps!
"By reading this, you’ve done more than you can imagine." - Adrian

GamerXYZ

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • GamerXYZ has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 10:43:32 pm »

Thanks for the reply!

So if I understand correctly, there's still support for a single weaponlist such as the old Arsenal/Gun Game had? That would be perfect: I asked this question because I like to use a weaponlist consisting of all weapons (except Remote Mines I guess :P) which I knew was easy to do in the old 16-weaponlist. I'll download 4.2 and see what exactly I have to change in the Arsenal Python file to make Arsenal use a weaponlist rather than a weaponset (I have 0 Python experience, but I understand the basic syntax of this kind of code language, so I know how to make edits in existing code).

Wouldn't copying over the old Runway cause some problems though? It has the same name as the new one after all, and I take it renaming would make it unrecognizable to the other files it needs (which may also have the same name as newer files). And that's of course the next problem: what about all the extra files old maps need? I'd need to find all of them or the map wouldn't be complete, and just copying over all of them without overwriting would lead to a LOT of unnecessary clutter.

EDIT: Know a working 4.2 zip download? I found only 3 links and they're all dead.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 10:48:05 pm by GamerXYZ »

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 372
  • Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 05:18:02 am »

For Arsenal, we no longer directly support the hardcoded weapon cycle, but the gamemode is coded in such a way that it's easy to feed whatever arbitrary weapon list you want to it, hardcoded or otherwise.  The 4.2 Arsenal is coded much differently, even though the 5.0 version attempted to maintain some sort of similarity to it, so the only help it will really provide is the original weapon list.  Just initialize self.weaponList to a list of weapon classnames ordered by when you want them to appear, adjust maxLevel to the length of that list, and that should be all it takes.

For maps, sadly renaming the map does break a lot of stuff.  You will also need to track down the 4.2 assets that are no longer included in 5.0.  No real way around breaking scripts/cubemaps unless you're okay with replacing the 5.0 map when you want to play the 4.2 version.  To fix them, you should be able to recompile cubemaps once the map is renamed which should fix the reflections but I haven't tried that in a long time so I'm not certain.  It's of course also possible to rename all the script files (soundscapes, music, and the map parameter script), which should make the map completely functional again.

This 4.2.4 download link should work:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/goldeneye-source/downloads/ges-v424-full-installer-exe
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 05:25:24 am by Entropy-Soldier »
"By reading this, you’ve done more than you can imagine." - Adrian
Pages: [1]   Go Up