GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 19, 2024, 04:28:33 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No information on how to update  (Read 6563 times)

ham

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • ham is looked down upon.ham is looked down upon.ham is looked down upon.
No information on how to update
« on: January 17, 2018, 09:34:00 am »

No info provided in relation to updating to latest patch. i downloaded it then didnt have a clue what to do with the zip i just downloaded. i mean if i had created the game and/or the patch, then i would know what to do, However, i didnt create it soooo.....

So what i had to do was delete the entire game. then re-install.  upon installation of the game, i clicked play and was presented with this: 

Setup file 'gameinfo.txt' doesn't exist in subdirectory  D:\Steam\Steamapps\sourcemods\gesource'.   Check your game parameter or vconfig setting.

i mean, how many fucking hoops do i have to jump through to get this game running? good luck with your game. no surprise there are very few players.

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
Re: No information on how to update
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 01:56:10 pm »

So rather than politely come on the forum and ask for help you act like an abusive child. No one is going to help you with that attitude so calm the feck down and try a little politeness, because you would not believe the time and dedication this team has put in over the last decade to give us all this very well polished remake... Also, you have to remember, this is a mod created on a very old engine, if you want to curse anyone it should be Valve for not updating this engine for modern systems, it's buggy to say the least, and that has nothing to do with the Goldeneye Source development team, they are essentially building on top of unreliable and unstable code.

Spry

• I Feel So Funky
  • Agent
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Spry has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 02:56:40 pm »

All you really had to do was ask instead of throw a fit. So one very tiny hoop.

The great thing about the GE:S community is everyone knows everyone, and it's fun to play with people who have a genuine love and appreciation for the work these devs have put into this project. I don't think it's small because you don't know how to extract a zip file, but thanks for your feedback.

Graslu

• You can't win.
  • Tester
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 06:46:16 pm »

You downloaded the .zip version which is meant for servers, while it works for clients, you can simply download the .exe and do it automatically unless you know what you're doing. Do you need instructions for .exe files? Even if you did you could've just asked.

soupcan

• Lead Systems Administrator
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 214
  • soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 01:48:03 am »

You'll hear no argument from me that there certainly could be improvements made, which is something on the table for 5.1. Our downloads page is a mess, which should no longer be the case for 5.1 which consolidates all the functionality into a single installer.

That said, I feel like your situation is matter of your doing rather than anything we could've done. The downloads page literally tells you what to do, and the installer you want is literally the very first one listed on the page.

p.s. sorry for trying to keep our players in the loop on important security issues. We'll try not to next time.  ::)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 01:51:04 am by soupcan »
Pages: [1]   Go Up