GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 08:57:56 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music Tryouts  (Read 10251 times)

JohnRDVSMarston

• Insania est arcanum
  • Agent
  • Reputation Power: 34
  • JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!
    • YouTube Channel
Music Tryouts
« on: May 21, 2017, 01:33:56 pm »

I'm not a professional (not even amateur), but some days ago, I tried to make Depot.

...So critic it. Let's see if you like it or not.

(Post-scriptum: That's not an entry to musician to the mod. I'm too bad for this, man. Also, since I'm a little deaf, I should advise you to drop your sound a bit)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 01:36:14 pm by JohnRDVSMarston »
Working around to be programmer, voice artist, designer, compositor and writer. If you want help, I'll be much obliged in helping you.

P.S: No, I'm not behind you with a bloody screwdriver. I'm a nice guy! >:D

basstronix

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 45
  • basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!
Re: Music Tryouts
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 02:44:11 pm »

It's quite good for a 1:1 remake. Some of the sample choices felt a bit odd, but they eventually grew on me over the course of the track. My biggest concern is that some of the bass drums got very muddy in the mix and felt overpowered by other sounds. I recommend looking at the spectra of the other mixer channels and EQing out conflicting overlaps from instruments with tones in the same octave.

I can't offer much in the way of sequencing advice since this track was based on a midi ripped from the cartridge using (I assume) similarly ripped soundfonts. I encourage doing remixes/remakes entirely by ear and experimenting with different instrumentation; it will help you develop an ear for melodies, chords, basslines, and percussion that will prove invaluable later in your music production skillset. It also helps to create a personal twist on things while you map out the track. It will probably not come out exactly 1:1 using this method, but at least it will sound unique.

I'm always excited to see a fledgling producer in the wild. I'll be happy to listen to and critique any music you share here. Keep it up!

JohnRDVSMarston

• Insania est arcanum
  • Agent
  • JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 08:12:30 pm »

Yeah, for the samples (for example), I wanted to use a synth trumpet, but it wasn't well enough, so I picked a trumpet that, at least, could go with the 1st violins. As for bass drums, I don't remember that I put bass drums ['cause I had to remade the drumset excepting the crash cymbals. I made the "solo snare". I came a bit wonky, I could make it better, but forces of the world made me stop the work there. It made a unique solo, though (by luck)], but if I did, then it was waaay down. '-'

As for equalizing the sounds, that's one of the problems: I'm a little deaf on some sounds, my brain kind of doesn't get much of the sound or doesn't make it distinctive or anything... Anyway, in the end, the musics I had to hear or try-to-make are quite loud for other people. And that's why the channel unbalancing: I can't balance for anyone but me. :/-

Yes, it was form the cartridge MIDI. I ripped, but I have to fix some things here and there (like missing instruments, very low or very high sound and things like that). I try some times doing music by ear, but, in the end, my low low looow confidence disappears midway, I close the program without saving and try to do other things by shame (mostly feel bad, but that's normal for me). That happens when trying to do new brand-spanking-n-slapping music.

Anyway, thanks man! When I saw that someone replied, and even, someone who is a composer. It can really give some professional info! I'll try those things fiercely (did I use that word right? '-'), though I'm unsure if it will come any good results. :/-
Working around to be programmer, voice artist, designer, compositor and writer. If you want help, I'll be much obliged in helping you.

compelx

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • compelx has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 09:02:36 pm »

Great stuff man! Depot is one of my favorite tracks! (no pun intended...)

What software/DAW are you using? I'll admit I have issues with hearing and because I really don't know how to use my DAW I do things manually and then try and listen to it on headphones, earbuds, BT soundbar, and car stereo system to see if anything is wrong. Terribly inefficient but it's all I know how to do right now.  :'(

JohnRDVSMarston

• Insania est arcanum
  • Agent
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 10:08:36 pm »

I use Synthfont/Anvil Studio/FL Studio sometimes

Also, sometimes I try to reverb or maximize or anything after compiling with Audacity or GoldWave.

CptLima

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 210
  • CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!
    • Follow Cpt. Lima on Twitch!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 12:24:10 am »

You should bring out the trumpets a little more from :50 seconds onward, they sound very faint/lost in the mix.

basstronix

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 45
  • basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 01:48:28 am »

but, in the end, my low low looow confidence disappears midway, I close the program without saving and try to do other things by shame

If you never accept the fact that you can accomplish great things, then you will never achieve your goals. Keep telling yourself that you are indeed capable. It may take a lot of work to get there, but you CAN do it. Anyone can, with the proper dedication. If music production is a genuine interest of yours, then please don't lose confidence.
Pages: [1]   Go Up