GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 04:36:19 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nostalgic Improvements I'd Like to See One Day  (Read 9244 times)

CptLima

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 210
  • CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!
    • Follow Cpt. Lima on Twitch!
Nostalgic Improvements I'd Like to See One Day
« on: May 16, 2017, 10:03:00 pm »

Totally cosmetic things I think it'd be cool to see in a future release:

1. THIS DOOR IS LOCKED: Locked doors in a variety of levels have no message come up when pressed, which of course the original game had for (most) doors. Would be cool, for purely nostalgic purposes, for some doors to have that added back, like in Facility, for example.

2. SHOOT OUT THE LIGHTS: One of the only levels where you can run around shooting out the lights for fun/target practice/etc. is Bunker Classic. Many original GE levels had destructible lights, and Perfect Dark expanded upon that by changing the lighting in the area after they were shot out. Would be cool if some classic maps had destructible lights added back, and if some of the reimagined maps had destructible lights that change lighting effects (marginally) when shot out. It was always fun watching lights and such pop out in a random firefight... especially since they didn't magically "respawn" afterwards and stayed out, like a battle scar. Along a similar line, would be cool to shoot the door buttons on Silo like in the original game, too.

3. DESTRUCTIBLE OBJECTS: Crates were common in some of the original GE levels, especially classic Archives. Would be cool if more of the objects in reimagined levels (like Facility Backzone) blew up after 5 shots; especially when opponents are hiding behind/near them. Bunker has a lot of computers/etc. that blow up, but most levels don't (some shouldn't, of course, but some have wiggle room for additions I think). A lot of the reimagined levels have some scattered objects that just seem like they should explode when shot but don't... like fire extinguishers, barrels, crates, maybe even a table or chair!

4. DEPOT RARE LOGO: Cool Easter egg from the original game was the faded Rare logo towards the end of the level, on the wall where you shoot to lure the guard out of the final train... this spot in the GE:Source map is blank, would be a cool cosmetic tribute to the original to, for example, put the new GE:Source logo in that spot as an Easter egg nod.

5. FACILITY DOORS: I know there's issues with doors in the current engine; would be cool if they eventually get worked out so Facility Classic can get all of its doors back; Facility is the "Lost Temple" of GoldenEye (see: most popular competitive map in StarCraft), so even the smallest changes alter how the map is played and balanced compared to the original... having the doors back would close things up a little/give people being chased more opportunity to get away/just feel right. Same goes for the middle "quick opening" metal door - right now, the classic version *almost* has the timing right, but it's still a little slow; the reimagined version doesn't alter the timing of that door at all, I think.

6. SNIPER SLAPPER: When you have the sniper rifle in your inventory, would be awesome if your slapper was the sniper rifle butt like in the original game.

7. ALARM TIMER: In timed matches, would be cool to have an alarm go off during the last 10 seconds, like in the original game. If added, I think this feature should be toggleable as an option in case some players don't want it, maybe even with a customizable sound file for which alarm you want to play if you don't like the default one.

Again, all totally cosmetic, probably lowest-priority things, but it is my nostalgic wishlist!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 10:05:06 pm by WFCxLima »

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
Re: Nostalgic Improvements I'd Like to See One Day
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 02:46:58 am »

#1 is something I'd really like also! We're reworking various visual elements with the HUD right now and this potentially could get incorporated into those changes. I can't make any assurances but I personally consider nostalgia a big part of GE:S's presentation style and little things like this and the "Press Start" text on the death screen are little nuggets of value that can be worth more than their weight.

#3 is sadly a matter of trade offs and limitations, making destructible models takes more time and uses more resources than regular models. When we think about this kind of stuff generally speaking it comes down to gameplay value first and foremost. Whilst it can be fun to go around blowing up crates and various things, it also removes interesting aspects from the spaces you're playing in. This is why, for example, we opted to make the crates in Archives Classic non-destructible because the spaces are less interesting once they're gone. There has to be a net positive result for the effort to be put into making an explodable prop. Barrels in Silo and Facility Backzone are a great example of specific objects that add more to gameplay by being explodable.

#6 is on my to do list.  ;)
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Adrian

• Lead Artist
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 115
  • Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 06:36:23 am »

Consider #4 done :)
Official releases: Depot, Archives Classic, Library Classic

Third-party releases: Deus Ex-inspired Chateau DuClare

JohnRDVSMarston

• Insania est arcanum
  • Agent
  • Reputation Power: 34
  • JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 01:47:01 pm »

Mangley

in regard of #3, he did said "fire extinguisher". Crates will make the ambient look less cool, but I don't think that fire extinguishers blowing steam and making the ambient be foggy for quite some time (like when you shoot a load of rockets at the same place and a thick fog comes) will up the ambient. Barrels can be here too, after all not all barrels explode when you shoot it; Some just spray whatever is inside there.
Working around to be programmer, voice artist, designer, compositor and writer. If you want help, I'll be much obliged in helping you.

P.S: No, I'm not behind you with a bloody screwdriver. I'm a nice guy! >:D

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 03:24:11 pm »

#2..  Facility..

#7 would work great in some game modes.
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

CptLima

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 210
  • CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!
    • Follow Cpt. Lima on Twitch!
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 11:11:40 pm »

Consider #4 done :)

!! Nice! You know which spot I'm talking about, right? I tried to find a picture of it online, but struck out lol... end of that stone wall, on the right, just before you go into the final building.

I personally consider nostalgia a big part of GE:S's presentation style

The nostalgia in this mod is phenomenal in so many levels... the redesigned levels almost always go out of their way to pay homage, especially Egyptian, Aztec, Depot, Bunker and Dam (both with the working alarm switches that short out... and the double-keyed safe with red dossier inside is an awesome touch) ... and many others! I love triggering a random bit of nostalgia every now and then, or just seeing the skateboarding guy on a computer screen while I'm in the middle of a firefight... really reinforces the fact that this mod truly IS the GoldenEye "remake" the "professionals" should have made so many times over...

This is why, for example, we opted to make the crates in Archives Classic non-destructible because the spaces are less interesting once they're gone.

That explanation makes a lot of good sense. And, I definitely don't want to see random crates and things start showing up in areas that have always been fun as they are.

in regard of #3, he did said "fire extinguisher". Crates will make the ambient look less cool, but I don't think that fire extinguishers blowing steam and making the ambient be foggy

Not blow steam - just explode. Classic GoldenEye rule: all objects that can take damage explode in a ball of flames (small, medium, or large) after 5 shots. Including chairs (and wall-mounted fire extinguishers).

Thank you all for the inside info!! Only thing better than posting feedback is getting feedback to the feedback!

JohnRDVSMarston

• Insania est arcanum
  • Agent
  • Reputation Power: 34
  • JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 04:10:24 pm »

Well, it's kind of GE007-ish to everything blow up: crates, computers, chairs, a fly, billions of protons, air, your thoughts, etcetera.

However I don't remember seeing something that blow up in GE:S without having some logic on it (well, maybe DAT cartridges are an exception, but since it's an Easter Egg Object, it's passable): propane tanks, barrels, computers, cameras, lights (I think), you-know-the-ToT.

That's why I said fire extinguishers blowing steam: It will blow up and fill the space with extinguishable gas, y'know...
Working around to be programmer, voice artist, designer, compositor and writer. If you want help, I'll be much obliged in helping you.

P.S: No, I'm not behind you with a bloody screwdriver. I'm a nice guy! >:D
Pages: [1]   Go Up