GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 05:35:36 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Serious Discussion on Game Types  (Read 35051 times)

Waluigi-Brain-Squeegee

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Waluigi-Brain-Squeegee has no influence.
Re: Serious Discussion on Game Types
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 04:31:06 am »

Yeah for sure man, it's annoying playing those modes all the time I liked the servers that cycled through everything, but mainly DM or TDM, but like nobody plays in those servers now, they're all in Arsenal or LTK servers, which like I said are fun modes, but not allllll the time, and not alllll day long you know, like I get a decent amount of time to play this game as I'm not working at the moment, and I don't really wanna play Arsenal or LTK all day long you know. I'm after just starting servers with a friend in my house on LAN or something sometimes just so I can play a server that cycles modes, but ultimately it's not very fun when it's just you and one or two friends in a LAN server. So I end up playing Arsenal or LTK for a while and then saying screw that and jumping in a different server only to have people show up and leave right away, or not long into a match.

El Dudereno

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • El Dudereno is working their way up.El Dudereno is working their way up.El Dudereno is working their way up.
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2017, 07:23:00 pm »

I'm pretty sure this started happening right after 5.0 was released.  Before 5.0 we had several servers playing all types of games not just Turbo LTK and Arsenal.  Any one have any theories why this is? 

Waluigi-Brain-Squeegee

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Waluigi-Brain-Squeegee has no influence.
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2017, 10:31:46 pm »

My theory is a lot of the newer players that came along in 5.0 wanted to play in servers like that because they could get away from the people who had been playing the game for a decent amount of time, and then slowly some of the older people stopped playing and the better servers just stopped being played on because they weren't populated anymore. So now most people who do get on end up in those servers with everyone else because they're populated, and no one really wants to sit around an empty server for a half hour or more just hoping people come in and join the game :-\

CptLima

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 210
  • CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!
    • Follow Cpt. Lima on Twitch!
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 10:49:20 pm »

That sounds like a plausible theory.

Even gun-trade, which I'm not a huge fan of but will enjoy playing once in a while to mix things up, is kinda non-existent now. When 5.0 first launched there were some servers packed with gun-trade players, and a bunch of servers packed with TDM/DM/MWGG/CTF players - especially after 5.0 went viral on social media.

But for some reason Arsenal was the "winner" of that king of the hill match... last summer, all of the game modes seemed popular. Why the Arsenal-only servers stay populated while the traditional/other servers are sporadic doesn't make too much sense to me, because even when I'm in an Arsenal server I see the players complaining about how it's Arsenal-only...

I like the theory about players getting good at the Arsenal game type, so therefore not wanting to go to a rotating/other server and play game types that they could get wrecked at... especially since some of the Arsenal servers seem to rotate the same 4-5 weapon sets over and over again, and leave out some weapons entirely - so there's less to learn/master?

Torn

• Level Designer
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 169
  • Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2017, 12:36:27 am »

Yes, there is quite a bit less to learn when it comes to Arsenal. People aren't required to learn weapon or armor spawning locations, and thus a lot the strategy of understanding map layout and controlling important parts of the map is lost. It's pretty much just a run-and-gun game mode, and I suspect its simplicity is what draws so many people to it.
Official Releases: Dam / Egyptian
Community Releases: Quake - E1M7 / Blockfort

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2017, 02:53:33 am »

Also it has something that comes close to an automatic handicap feature.
Since you usually start with the powerfull weapons and end up with the hard to handle and weak weapons,
even bad players can get a few kills against good ones.
In many other modes it's at least possible to get a zero deaths score at the end of a round.
In Arsenal, this won't happen even to the best players on a full server.

El Dudereno

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • El Dudereno is working their way up.El Dudereno is working their way up.El Dudereno is working their way up.
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2017, 02:45:32 pm »

You guys are making my point.  5.0 was changed in ways that made it more popular to noobs because it became less about skill and more about getting easy kills.  Where's the challenge in that?  Turbo LTK is basically the only other active server which is fun at times but there's no skill involved. 

Daisy-Fan

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Daisy-Fan has no influence.
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2017, 05:36:52 pm »

Well there good players around, its just people assuming they hacking, when its not the case in fact. People freak out the moment someone is actually doing a lot of headshot,especially with weapons like the PP7 Silver or then they just actually abuse the Body Armor. Strong weapons and Body Armor are what makes Death Matches. Also if you want something involved about skills, Dr.no is Death match but with no Body Armor at all i believe, that's what you may searching for when it come to that.

JohnRDVSMarston

• Insania est arcanum
  • Agent
  • Reputation Power: 34
  • JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2017, 09:23:39 pm »

Every time I saw this topic, I just jumped it and didn't cared... but, later, I thought up on some points that you brought up and I'll add my two cents.

So, with the boom of the GE:S being knowable in social media (probably thanks to youtubers and more that played and streamed the game to a lot of people), a bunch of people that doesn't know how this works or why (nameable newbies) entered the game to give a try. Yes, they are some gamemodes (or gameplay scenarios, but I prefer the first name rather than the last) that "requires" skill and others that don't. All games have that. So let's see the mind of a newbie in-game (counting the social media boom)

DEATHMATCH (DM) and TEAM DEATHMATCH (TDM) → Both are simple. You have a gun, shoot some people, the end. The difference is that the second makes teams. When a newbie comes to play it, he'll see the same thing that a lot of games have; what changes is the graphics and the lack of a giant fanbase. Even that's a good way to know more about the guns of the game, it will bore him faster to play the same gamemode almost everything has it.

CAPTURE THE FLAG (CTF) → Same with DM, but the newbie learning the game and what differentiate it from the rest slower than DM. However if the newbie is a person who never played a CTF game, he'll bring hell to the team since he'll get the flag at some moment and run around the map like nothing happened.

GUN TRADE (GT) → Good way to learn about the guns. Though, you snooze, you lose (about the weapon... if you die, then you change weapons)

ARSENAL (ARS?) → Makes the newbie to learn about the guns faster than GT, though since not everyone on the server is new as well, he'll probably just know the 3-4 guns each round (if the loadout doesn't repeat low-level guns).

LICENSE TO KILL (LTK) → It's and easy to kill gamemode, but is frantic. If you don't like exercise, then buckle up: you will need to. The newbie will learn the hard way that being idle is the wrong way of being, making him to learn how to dodge how he can (except his name is Gohan)

MAN WITH GOLDEN GUN → Nice gamemode. Like a King of the Hill, but without the location. Unfortunately newbies will learn the same way as DM since the Golden Gun doesn't have much to give. I know, it's powerful and can one-shot, but if you are a newbie, that's gonna be difficult.

A VIEW TO A KILL (VTAK) → Benefits hiding and campers. So newbies will do the opposite and almost never win. Next!

LIVING DAYLIGHTS (LD) → Newbies, when picking up the flag, they will do the same as CTF. The only good thing (or bad thing; I don't know your POV) is that, upon running around aimlessly won't bring pain to anyone (except himself).

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE (YOLT) → He'll die firsthand and will be on spectator mode until he gets bored and leaves.

DR. NO ARMOR ("NOOOOOOOO!" -Darth Vader) → Same as DM, but faster dieing and faster "leaving the server"

So...yeah... No kidding that Arsenal and LTK are top of the game now. Besides Deathmatch, they are the best at newbie-learning. But since 4.2 had mostly Deathmatch servers, newbies BEFORE the social media boom started to take on other gamemodes and preferred Arsenal and LTK. And, during/after the social media boom, LTK and Arsenal servers were getting with a lot of people and, in consequence, stronger. So it's understandable.
Working around to be programmer, voice artist, designer, compositor and writer. If you want help, I'll be much obliged in helping you.

P.S: No, I'm not behind you with a bloody screwdriver. I'm a nice guy! >:D

TheHTCViveGuy

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • TheHTCViveGuy has no influence.
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2017, 03:00:56 am »

Holy shit, I forgot half of those modes existed because i see nothing but arsenal.

Daisy-Fan

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Daisy-Fan has no influence.
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2017, 10:27:41 am »

Just came back to the Mod, All i can see is arsenal. arsenal was a mistake. /s

Troy

• GE:S Coder
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 260
  • Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2017, 09:50:57 pm »

Just came back to the Mod, All i can see is arsenal. arsenal was a mistake. /s

Yea, those noobs sure ruined GE:S with Arsenal and LTK 24/7 servers.
Complete - Arsenal, One Bullet is Enough, Tournament DM v2, TurboDM
Defunct - Agent Under Fire
VC - Being such a dick, KM must be stroked before springing into action.

CptLima

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 210
  • CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!
    • Follow Cpt. Lima on Twitch!
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2017, 10:52:26 pm »

Yea, those noobs sure ruined GE:S with Arsenal and LTK 24/7 servers.

It's literally all I can find 95 percent of the time I log on, and it's infuriating because I otherwise love this mod and the game it's based on...

Troy

• GE:S Coder
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 260
  • Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2017, 12:38:45 am »

Yea, I hear you.  I think that's why a lot of people stopped playing.
Complete - Arsenal, One Bullet is Enough, Tournament DM v2, TurboDM
Defunct - Agent Under Fire
VC - Being such a dick, KM must be stroked before springing into action.

JohnRDVSMarston

• Insania est arcanum
  • Agent
  • Reputation Power: 34
  • JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2017, 12:25:05 pm »

Yeah, 'cause, again, LTK and Arsenal (and Deathmatch, but it was overplayed at 4.2) are welcoming to newbies.
Working around to be programmer, voice artist, designer, compositor and writer. If you want help, I'll be much obliged in helping you.

P.S: No, I'm not behind you with a bloody screwdriver. I'm a nice guy! >:D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up