GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 06:47:34 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom sounds  (Read 7103 times)

Angelsx10

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Angelsx10 has no influence.
Custom sounds
« on: October 26, 2016, 11:39:01 am »

I searched for a post about putting in custom sounds and there was a link, but it was a dead link.  I have figured out somehow to put in two .wav files and get them to work.  The problem is I want to add more sound files of my own to put on the server so everyone can hear it, just like the two I have created.  I have a custom folder for the two sounds that DO work, but any other custom sound I put in doesn't work and it just uses the defaults.  Is there a work around this?  Share some knowledge?

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
Re: Custom sounds
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 04:18:43 pm »

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to do, would you please explain more detailed.

Are you trying to replace existing sounds or do you wanna add additional sounds triggered by certain events like gamemodes or admin plugins?

If it's the first case, we strongly recomend not trying to change existing sounds for users that connect to your server.
Every client that wants custom sounds has the ability to download and install these manually.
By forcing them to install these custom sounds (not sure if this is even possible), you alter their game experience on other servers as well.

In the second case, i'm sure there's someone who can help with that.
But i'd recomend you to keep it reasonable.

Every additional file has to be downloaded the first time you join a server.
So if you have lots of custom sound effects on your server, people will have to wait till these are downloaded.
This makes the waiting time for joining your server longer and also eat up some bandwidth,
which may cause higher latency for every player on your server everytime new player join.
(ofc. the second issue can be adressed by using external download url like many servers do for custom maps)

Angelsx10

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Angelsx10 has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 08:28:34 pm »

Okay, so for example I took the "GES_Level_Up.wav" and "GES_Level_Down.wav" (for Arsenal) and used my own files called, "GES_Level_Up1.wav" and "GES_Level_Down1.wav"  and they work great.  The custom files I have working are located in "player/custom/tested".  I understand about altering the gaming experience but it's only a slight change, nothing major.  The two sound files I have made are less than 150KB in size.

JohnRDVSMarston

• Insania est arcanum
  • Agent
  • Reputation Power: 34
  • JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 06:39:54 pm »

What I got from you said, you want to increase the number of sounds in one thing (like, for example level_up1, level_up2 and so forth). If that, you will have to program a bit, changing parts of the game to allow more than one sound. I did that on musics on maps, but I didn't tried that out on level systems... It's possibloe, but I don't know how. I could check up that, but I deleted the game quite a while ago (depression reasons 'n' such, it doesn't matter...), so I'll have to wait almost an entire day to download the game and check that. Sorry...
Working around to be programmer, voice artist, designer, compositor and writer. If you want help, I'll be much obliged in helping you.

P.S: No, I'm not behind you with a bloody screwdriver. I'm a nice guy! >:D
Pages: [1]   Go Up