GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 16, 2024, 10:38:51 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using N64 controllers  (Read 6638 times)

Stvjamesl

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Stvjamesl has no influence.
Using N64 controllers
« on: August 19, 2016, 05:24:22 pm »

If I get some USB adapters, can I use N64 controllers with the game?

Has anyone done the same?

Thanks

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
Re: Using N64 controllers
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 05:32:19 pm »

You probably can, buttons on a PS3 controller can be remapped as far as I know so it shouldn't be too much hassle (hopefully), but don't play in a pub because you'll get utterly destroyed.
The N64 joystick just isn't that reliable.

russhowells

• Agent
  • russhowells has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 02:29:15 pm »

Any luck getting your N64 controllers working?

MetaMind09

• Agent
  • MetaMind09 has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 11:24:22 am »

I ve tried it yesterday with the "N64 Retro USB Controller" : https://www.amazon.com/Retrolink-Nintendo-64-Classic-Enabled-Controller/dp/B008L3UUPS

The main problem is that you cannot assign the c buttons for looking up and down, this needs to be fixed!

Also you cannot assign the B button for reloading AND interaction(open doors etc), only one assignment is possible. The aiming with the R-key is totally useless coz the hole charackter moves not the weapon/arm only like in orig game.
I really hope they fix this coz playing GE:Source with the n64 controller in my hand kinda transported me back to the glory times.

edit: got it working...use the antimicro program:  https://github.com/AntiMicro/antimicro/releases
then assign c buttons with mouse up & down. The only problem really is the missing autoaim the orig. had...without it its kinda hard to hit someone...they should enable slight autoaim for controller input users only.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 11:58:00 am by MetaMind09 »

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 12:56:02 pm »

I was just about to post that from another thread about controllers. You can't go wrong with Antimicro, better than any of the paid softwares out there.

As for the lack of auto aim, you could try the Goldeneye 64 "Solitaire" control method of looking with the ananlogue, and moving with C buttons... May take a little getting used to, but it's gotta be a dam site easier than trying to aim with C buttons.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 01:00:20 pm by markpeterjameslegg »

El Dudereno

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • El Dudereno is working their way up.El Dudereno is working their way up.El Dudereno is working their way up.
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 01:02:39 pm »

If you don't get the N64 controller to work you may want to try a wireless xbox360 controller with the usb wireless adapter.  Every key can be mapped on it.  I use this with a mouse at the same time.  Mouse is used for looking around, shooting, reloading, opening doors, changing weapons and the controller for moving, aiming, jumping, ducking and the rest is mapped to the buttons and d pad.  You get the precision of the mouse and easy movement with the stick.  I've been playing this way for years and years.  I think its awesome but I'm sure other people prefer their keyboards and mouse.  I also have that kontrolfreak stick extender which is nice.

If you recall the original game had an option to use two controllers at once which is similar to my style.

MetaMind09

• Agent
  • MetaMind09 has no influence.
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 01:48:47 pm »

@markpeterjameslegg
Thank you for this suggestion I will try it out , I think Turok also used this controller setup but the GE64 style is much more iconic imo :)

@El Dudereno
 I try to archive the orig feeling N64 feeling and therefore I wont use any other gamepads etc. but thx for your input too.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 07:19:48 pm »

I think Turok also used this controller setup but the GE64 style is much more iconic imo :)
The Solitair control style is the one i used all the time, much more aiming precission with analoge input.
I won allmost every match when playing against my friends.
Oh and autoaim is the first thing that was turned off in multiplayer.
We played a lot of LtK with pistols or DM with automatics, power weapons and explosives.

Stvjamesl

• Agent
  • Stvjamesl has no influence.
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 09:01:58 pm »

Have my N64 controller adapter coming tomorrow.

My friends and I love the game, we still play on the N64,  ideally we want the original controller with Goldeneye source, so let's see how I do!

I have Xbox 360, Xbox one and PlayStation 4 controllers, so might try them if it fails.
Pages: [1]   Go Up