GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 02:36:31 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5.0 custom maps  (Read 8994 times)

crooksylawd

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • crooksylawd has no influence.
5.0 custom maps
« on: August 16, 2016, 09:05:45 pm »

Hey guys. I had updated to 5.0 and deleted all my custom maps, especially the siberia map, thinking I had a backup somewhere on my computer, which I don't. Does anyone know where I can get the surface map back? I tried a couple sources but they don't seem to support bots and some textures were missing unlike the version I had. Anyone have any ideas? Literally any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
Re: 5.0 custom maps
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 09:30:46 pm »

Siberia was made before bots have been implemented in the game if I remember correctly. As for missing textures/props, we can't do much until CCSaint or someone who has the original map file (I think one of us have it) fixes it.
As for the download link, here it is. It contains both Grid and Siberia, but Grid has been broken since 4.2.

I haven't had time to try out Siberia yet, but this is the official link. If something's missing, you'll have to wait for an update.

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 03:00:23 pm »

im pretty sure Siberia has bots in it NamajnaG i remember playing against them back on 4.2

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 10:08:03 pm »

Hello,

Siberia does have bot support when I created it but I am unsure of how well they were placed. Bots have gotten significantly better since the day they were released and it might need another working. I have not tested 5.0 with Siberia though a lot of the content was packaged into the map file (if I remember correctly). I will have to load it up here in a few days and see. Was possibly thinking of making a revision for version 5.0 of it so we will see.

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

mabeenot

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • mabeenot has no influence.
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 07:35:28 pm »

I booted up Siberia in 5.0 and it works almost flawlessly. There is a texture missing over where the power lines connect to the satellite dish building, facing both the outside and inside the building's janitor closet.

Grid is missing a few textures for floors, ceilings, and the front desk, as well as a prop in the flower pots on the second floor near the front of the building.

In answer to crooksylawd's original question, there are some custom maps littered around the forums like ge_library_halloween, ut_codex_v2, and Torn's Blockfort and Cy's Train (minor texture issue in the latter) from the 2015 Community Map Pack (Classic Archives is now in the official release).

There is also a directory of old community maps here that includes a lot of broken stuff, but I did find that these worked fine:
  • ge_desert_temple_a3
  • ge_dessert_temple_a3
  • ge_pipes_a1
  • ge_void_a1
  • nf_power_v4

Hope this helps

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 02:35:23 pm »

I've noticed that one of the Cola Factory servers is hosting a lot of the custom maps, but they didn't bother with fixing any issues before making them available for public.

If someone wants custom maps on his server, he should make sure they work before making them available.

In most cases it's just missing textures and props, which could be added to the bsp or delivered seperate with .res files.

I'd prefer the first method, since it keeps the number of download files at a minimum and won't cause conflicts with other mod files.

The downside is that it changes the CRC of the file and if a client allready has the map in it's old and broken state in his maps folder, he'll get a CRC Error.

So if a lot of ppl allready have the map, it's enforcing the second method of delivering each texture, material and the model files (which consist of several files themself) with their own download.

I won't start to argue about the downside of this, since most of you allready know about the : one big file vs. dozends of small files topic.

Just one specific issue i'd like to point out:
if a material is still used in 5.0 but with a different texture and/or parameters, the only way to ensure the original pre-5.0 version of it is to include the file into the bsp.

Example: some of the materials in ge_citadel_luch are rendered as white wireframe in 5.0 because even the shader changed from LightmappedGeneric (lightmapped material applied to brushes) to VertexLitGeneric (only used on models, has no lightmap).

Including the old material and texture into the bsp would solve this issue because included files will be prefered over external files.

At the current state of distribution, this is still very possible, but if a map has spread out in the community even though it's broken, a serious ammount of ppl would get a CRC error/map differes from the server and i think the majority won't know how to fix this.

Since 5.0 is a fresh start on the custom maps front, i'd like to suggest to make custom maps available only if they are free from issues.
Pages: [1]   Go Up