GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 07:46:35 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Unreadable text in options, server listing, etc.  (Read 8323 times)

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
Re: Unreadable text in options, server listing, etc.
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2016, 09:34:28 am »

HL2 is on a newer Source engine version these days and Valve also does small updates to it, so it might not be the best candidate for comparision.

pcman312

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • pcman312 has no influence.
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2016, 09:53:17 pm »

The workaround I found is what others have described: have it run at a different resolution. 4k completely screws up the text, but any other resolution is at least readable. This is what I did (instead of the command line options others have mentioned):

• Start game
  • Click "Options"
  • Select 4th from the left (3rd from the right) tab - this is the video options tab
  • Click on the top left drop down (this is the resolution option)
  • Select any resolution other than the bottom one (the bottom one being 4k)
  • Click rightmost button in the very bottom of the options window (Ok/Cancel/Apply)
  • Wait for resolution to adjust. The text will likely look scaled wrong at this point.
  • Select resolution from drop down of your choice
  • Restart game

You can insert a "restart game" step in between steps 7 and 8 to make it easier to read, but is not strictly necessary.

This has worked for me. I've been using 1080 as the 1440 option scales the text in a way that makes it difficult to read (though not impossible like 4k).

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2016, 10:53:54 pm »

Come to think of it, this might be solvable with a tweak to the UI resources (.res) files in gesource/resource

Towards the bottom of the files they define various font sizes for different resolutions. I'll look into this and post tweaked files to this thread for you 4K's to test out.

pcman312

• Agent
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 03:01:02 am »

Come to think of it, this might be solvable with a tweak to the UI resources (.res) files in gesource/resource

Towards the bottom of the files they define various font sizes for different resolutions. I'll look into this and post tweaked files to this thread for you 4K's to test out.
Is the code still open source? I'd love to take a look and help out if I can. I went to https://github.com/goldeneye-source/ges-code but that repo hasn't been updated in over a year.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 03:11:03 am »

This isn't in the code it's in the .res files in the resources directory of the mod. You already have them and can tinker at will.

pcman312

• Agent
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2016, 05:07:18 am »

I found a workaround in the .res files for the options window and the server list, though there are still a few things that are scaled poorly: the "hints" that show up in game (in the top left when you join and when you die) are not sized well (either too big or too small), and the crosshairs when aiming are huge.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up