GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 04:59:25 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epic Bachelor's Party  (Read 7641 times)

dmocpfan

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • dmocpfan has no influence.
Epic Bachelor's Party
« on: February 09, 2016, 09:40:29 am »

OK here is the deal, my best friend just told me he got engaged. I already know what to do for his Bachelor's party. Rent out a bar, and have an epic goldeneye local LAN party. We played the crap out of this game as kids and I cant think of a better way to celebrate his wedding. However, i am a total dunce at setting this up, luckily i will have over a year to prepare. SO first off, what will i need to to be able to support as large of a LAN party as possible? Will i need 32 computers or is there a way one computer could host 32 controllers? (i realize that's probably not gonna happen) How many computers would I need to make this happen? Whats my first step??

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
Re: Epic Bachelor's Party
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 10:00:09 am »

Hot dang, I thought by the name of the thread that this was just another bot, but THIS... This is something I didn't expect. You'll need 32 computers for 32 players, and a lot of network wiring and patience to setup Goldeneye Source on all of them. Most private LANs I've done were just like 6 people playing AoE2 and UT so that didn't require much work except everyone bringing their own laptops or PCs over and getting onto the router, but you'll most definitely need a more sophisticated way to hook everyone up on the same network.

I'd wait onto additionnal replies.

soupcan

• Lead Systems Administrator
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 214
  • soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 03:39:31 pm »

You'll definitely need a computer for every player; unfortunately there's no feasible way to run multiple instances of GE:S on a single computer, and this is mostly out of our control.

As for networking, you just need enough switches with ports to support every player, with the different switches connected to one other switch so that they all can communicate, with one of the switches connected to a router if you want an Internet connection (or just use the router as the central switch). In theory, plain 100Mb switches should work fine for GE:S. If you don't plan on having an Internet connection for whatever reason, make sure the server is started with -insecure to disable VAC.

You'll also probably want to have 2+ servers capped to 16 players or less. GE:S simply will not play well with 32 players in a single server.

El Dudereno

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • El Dudereno is working their way up.El Dudereno is working their way up.El Dudereno is working their way up.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 03:44:28 pm »

It would probably be easier collecting a few old N64 consoles and having a play-off tournament.  You could get a couple projectors too.  That would be really simple to set up.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 03:57:27 pm »

Are you talking about Original Goldeneye on Emulator, GES or both?

For the second, maybe rent out a big enough internet cafe, that way you allready have enough computers and routers/switches. But make sure it is one that is usually used for gaming and not only for web browsing.

Also make sure they'll install the neccessary stuff like steam, source sdk base 2007 and the mod on all PCs.
If the setup of the PCs is nearly the same, you can simply set up on one PC make all the adjustments like controller setup and then copy over the whole gesource folder to the other PCs.

I'd also recomend having a dedicated server or maybe two set up on a seperate computer.
And it wouldn't be the worst idea if the one who's administrating it, has some source server admin experience.

RogerMooreSucks

• 00 Agent
  • RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 01:55:25 am »

Will i need 32 computers or is there a way one computer could host 32 controllers?

LOOOOOOOOOL are you kidding? Most computers only have 3-4 usb ports. You might as well buy a server that every one can connect to. They are about $25 USD and a pain to setup. If you need help setting up the server contact me.
Troy, get back on that treadmill

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 03:06:01 pm »

LOOOOOOOOOL are you kidding? Most computers only have 3-4 usb ports. You might as well buy a server that every one can connect to. They are about $25 USD and a pain to setup. If you need help setting up the server contact me.

Actually you can connect dozens and dozens of USB devices to a single computer using mutli-port adapters. My desktop has 8 USB ports and it's possible to have multiple devices connected to each port.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

RogerMooreSucks

• 00 Agent
  • RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 12:08:36 am »

Actually you can connect dozens and dozens of USB devices to a single computer using mutli-port adapters. My desktop has 8 USB ports and it's possible to have multiple devices connected to each port.

No.
Troy, get back on that treadmill
Pages: [1]   Go Up