GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 05:52:04 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GE:S won't get past valve/source splash screens  (Read 6785 times)

corsellus

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • corsellus has no influence.
GE:S won't get past valve/source splash screens
« on: May 06, 2015, 08:12:51 pm »

Hey guys.

Long time ago, I installed this and played for about 15 minutes. One reason or another, I no longer have that computer and information, so I decided to get going again. I installed Source SDK Base 2007 and then the GE:S full installer (v4.2.4), restarted Steam, and tried to play. It went through the Valve splash animation (dude with a spigot handle on his head) and the "powered by source" animation, then it crashes. I'm left with a dialog box that titled "Engine Error" that reads, "Could not load library client."

I tried reinstalling GE:S, but nothing changed.

Does anyone have experience with this or a solution to fix it?

Thanks!

TriDefiance

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 78
  • TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!
Re: GE:S won't get past valve/source splash screens
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 04:19:39 am »

Doing some googling led to people having problems with a Windows update. They claim installing this fixed the issue.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26999

It is up to you whether or not you would like to update using Microsoft's software, but before you do that try reinstalling Source SDK 2007 and GE:S to make sure you didn't download corrupt/missing files.

corsellus

• Agent
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 01:55:28 pm »

Just finished the process. I updated Visual C++, uninstalled Source, uninstalled GE:S, reinstalled Source, reinstalled GE:S.

Still same results. Gets through the splash screens, then "Engine Error - Could not load library client."

corsellus

• Agent
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 02:06:17 pm »

Slight progress.

I followed these instructions: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Cannot_load_library_client

It got me to a generic menu with some Goldeneye-sounding effects when I roll over and click on things. But it's decidedly HL2-themed (graphically). Clicking "New Game" brings up an olive drab window like HL2 would, but there are no game chapters listed.

corsellus

• Agent
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 02:10:47 pm »

On a hunch, I checked the size of the gesource folder in my Steam directory. 445 MB seems pretty small for having a 1.2 GB installer. So I'm going to try reinstalling off the v4.2.3 installer, then patch up to v4.2.4.

corsellus

• Agent
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 06:10:04 pm »

Okay. I have the game up and running. Thanks for the help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up