GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 01:44:16 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A Decade of Goldeneye Source  (Read 19395 times)

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
A Decade of Goldeneye Source
« on: March 21, 2015, 12:41:16 pm »

Well This year marks 10 Years since Goldeneye Source was born

just thought that would be news and something worth celebrating :)

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
Re: A Decade of Goldeneye Source
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 01:36:36 pm »

Geez we're all old.

Sounds like we need a meet up haha. Wonder what's the most devs/dedicated players that have been in the same room in the past 10 years.

I've only met one dedicated player/team member this whole time.

All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 04:10:23 pm »

If we count from the first release, there's still a little time ahead, so don't get the party hats out right now.
If we count from the day where a few ppl talked together an said: hey, let's do a Goldeneye Mod on Source,
we allready missed out that aniversary last year i think.

However, i'm sure we'll find an appropriate way to celebrate our first release.

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 05:17:08 pm »

My god, that feels weird.
I remember playing the alpha all day long with some french guys, age 12 in my dad's basement on a P3 with a Geforce MX400. It ran at 12fps, but boy did I ever have a blast. Back then, I thought the mod would NEVER reach the state it has today and I was never aware that such a dedicated team was working on it. Then beta 3 came out and oh boy, was it revolutionary!

This is without a doubt one of the best mods around due to the fact that it has kept alive and well throughout all those years, thanks to the wonderful GE:S team, past and present.

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 06:14:44 pm »

I first heard about mod when a old friend got the alpha on a PC Gamer demo disk. We played that a bunch then I saw beta tester sign ups a while later and been here since (mid-'07).
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Rick Astley

• Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 11:34:16 pm »

i probarly heard about the mod in 2006 and yeah listened to the soundtrack...i didnt join the forums until late 2008/2009 (i think)

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 03:47:48 am »

Ah yes, to look back..

Nickster and I were working on a different Bond game/mod..  Project XX7
I was in college..  wasted a ton of lab time...

I am very glad we made the choice to make GE:S
We went through many rough patches.  Usually due to someone saying the would do something and never did (it was a "coder", he doesn't even deserved to have his name mentioned).  But then slowly building up a team of people who all have the same passion.

I wish I was able to focus and spent more time working on the mod like I used too.
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

RogerMooreSucks

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 06:02:32 pm »

You developers should be proud of yourselves. This is a quite a milestone any way you look at it. Go out and buy some pints and some ice cream cake.
Troy, get back on that treadmill

El Dudereno

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • El Dudereno is working their way up.El Dudereno is working their way up.El Dudereno is working their way up.
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 02:43:39 pm »

Yea I'm one of the old farts here.  I played Goldeneye64 in college like it was my job.  We had so many drunkin 4 player matches.  When I first found GE:S sometime right before beta 3 I couldn't believe it.  My all time favorite game had been resurrected.  10 years later and it's still fun.  Love you guys!!

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 04:52:11 pm »

We could do a google hangout.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 03:57:24 am »

I'd love to be part of a google hangout. If we can get a couple the older devs like Baron, like spider, like loafie, like fourtecks. These guys were part of the first months. Along with Semedi, fonfa, turboracer, and of course bass. I'm sure theres more btw. Question is could you get em ;)

I regret not having a proper emailing list to contact all these old folks at a moments notice. Something that everyone would stay on top of, if nothing else to do with the forum/community.

I did this dev interview audio Q&A as head PR many years back. It might still be on our moddb? It was an informative piece for the latest release (Beta 4 if I recall) but it was also a milestone of 5 years development and so took on a retrospective element. In one segment of the Q&A I gathered bass, and spider, and enzo and others who also were around pre alpha to give us a really open and quite beautiful recollection of their time in the Nickster days.

Can't believe it's been 5 years more. Wow

edit : We are still 80th most popular mod on moddb. As far as I know we haven't been higher than the 100-250 range. Even after the deadzone that is now hl2 modding.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 04:07:24 am by Wake[of]theBunT »

Rick Astley

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 07:09:19 am »

and a Happy Easter to every one :)

click4dylan

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • click4dylan has no influence.
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 10:21:47 am »

Ah yes, to look back..

Nickster and I were working on a different Bond game/mod..  Project XX7
I was in college..  wasted a ton of lab time...

I am very glad we made the choice to make GE:S
We went through many rough patches.  Usually due to someone saying the would do something and never did (it was a "coder", he doesn't even deserved to have his name mentioned).  But then slowly building up a team of people who all have the same passion.

I wish I was able to focus and spent more time working on the mod like I used too.

This. So much this. We at the nightfire source team have had the exact same problem. We are two years into development and still early alpha because we cant seem to get developers to stay. Its been basically a one man job, with a music producer and a sound fx dev, and a few extra one time mappers, and a web developer. I just wish more of the GE:S team would be interested in the project. Not saying goldeneye is 100% done or anything but it would be nice for players to have more than one fully developed bond remake out there. Honestly im not so sure how much more of my time i can devote to it. You know, life and all. Sorry for any punctuation or grammer issues, i typed this on my phone

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 04:51:32 pm »

I spend very little time on GES,  used to be A LOT..  I was in college when we started this.  The amount of free time I once had no longer exists, this is just a fact of life.

For any MOD, even us.  You do have to be willing to take on the new talent of high school students or any one that shows skill and be willing for them to grow during their time on the project.  We restricted our selves to putting more of a focus on more mature minds, age didn't really play a factor on it. 
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 05:41:57 am »

Unbelievable, the decade has come. I remember joining back in the end of 2005, beginning of 2006-ish... Pretty sure It was Nickster, Spider, 4tex, enzo, fonfa, lo/fi, baron, and myself... If I forget anyone I apologize!

I used to be extremely active on this Mod, but had taken the last three-ish years, off. Very glad to be back around here! (I have one more week of this semester!!)

So proud of this team, from where we were, 10 years ago, until now. I still remember the news of Nickster. It is bitter-sweet, to see how fast time has passed, and how far this development has come.

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up