GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 05:53:12 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello World! & Permission to use GoldenEye Models and Texutres  (Read 8854 times)

Pt.Jones

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Pt.Jones has no influence.
Hello World! & Permission to use GoldenEye Models and Texutres
« on: February 14, 2016, 11:55:44 pm »

Hello Everyone!

Been playing this mod for quite a while and so far I am really enjoying it! I especially like the new modern design of each classic multiplayer maps. Definitely reminds me of playing Goldeneye when it first came out as a kid!  ;D

I also wanted to know if it would be possible to use some of the models and texture of the facility map. I would love to recreate the map for Killing Floor 2. However before beginning on anything I would like to have the permission from the GES team to use such assets.

So far I was able to recreate the complex level entirely by myself (first time modding!), where all of the textures was taken directly from the game (through emulation + screenshot of each type of wall). However this was a rather long and complicated process. Just the thought of repeating everything haunts me.  :-\

That is all and cya all in-game!  8)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 01:09:14 am by Pt.Jones »

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
Re: Hello World! & Permission to use GoldenEye Models and Texutres
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 01:53:42 am »

As far as using these assets somewhere else, you'd have to get approval from the map's creator (Fourtecks) and a few other team members would have to chime in.

From a technical standpoint, how do you plan on bringing the map and its assets from Source to UE3? It is a massive undertaking to port the assets, get the scaling right, and make the brush geometry into static meshes since UE3 BSP is horribly inefficient compared to static mesh occlusion. From looking at your Complex map, it looks like you only have a very basic understanding of UnrealEd and its asset pipeline. Not to mention you pulled the textures from a screenshot instead of dumping directly from ROM which is problematic because it will have perspective warping and arbitrary upscale filtering that probably isn't appropriate for the given texture which kinda shows your current level of modding ability in a bad way.

Don't get me wrong, we all got started somewhere when we were modding, but even as a huge KF2 fan who thinks Facility would actually be pretty decent with KF2's gameplay we want anything with its external assets attributed to GES (that isn't already based in GES, like a map for the mod) to have a reasonably high quality to it.

Of course other developers can chime in, but IMO unless you can prototype something really nice that's more than BSP I'd have to say please don't use our assets. Use this as an opportunity to learn Photoshop to make your own textures. it's fun and fairly easy, you can take a brick texture, desaturate it to white, then add a green mask to the bottom half and maybe add some grime and boom, you've got that classic green/grey Facility wall texture.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Graslu

• You can't win.
  • Tester
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 10:03:56 am »

I'm not the one to say if you can or can't use the assets, but I can teach you how to take the textures (And models / map) from a N64 rom if you want to learn, much easier and faster than taking screenshots of each wall. :P

Pt.Jones

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Pt.Jones has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 01:54:28 pm »

Hey all thanks for the reply!

Well for my complex level it was first time I ever used UDK and KF2 SDK, so yeah as I was developing the map I was learning at the same time more about UDK in general. I am sorry if I didn't elaborate exactly on how I imported each texture into KF2 SDK, please allow me to explain.

I basically took a screenshot of each type of wall, and then added them into Photoshop. Here I enhanced it through the program (added missing details, made some colour adjustments, re-sized it and etc...) and finally made to sure to scale each texture appropriately to the power of 2. Finally I added each texture and normal maps to the KF2 SDK, where I applied each one to the Walls, Floors and ceilings static meshes provided by Tripwire.

So if I were to get the approval from the GES team and the map creator Fourtecks, I would first get each classic facility texture (with the thanks to VTFEdit program) export them as targa, open them up on Photoshop/Gimp and make any necessary adjustments before importing it to KF2 SDK. As for the 3D model, well I was looking at the possibility of obtaining them with DuckTape (still need to play around), but if necessary I could always try to create them through 3DS Max.

However if it is not possible to obtain the permission, then that's not a problem. I could look into how to take the models and texture from Rom as both of you have mentioned (Thank you Graslu for your availability on helping me out). Indeed I did quite similar process with my second published map were some of the external textures and models were taken from KF1 and imported into KF2 with all necessary changes (scale, UV, Normals, and etc..)

So in the end no matter the outcome I always have a plan b or c :D. I think that perhaps the best solution might be to get the textures directly from the rom.

Once again I would like to thank the both of you for your reply and possible solution. :)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 02:05:03 pm by Pt.Jones »

Luchador

• Retired Lead Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 175
  • Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 07:16:59 am »

I can help out here. Sent a PM  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up