GoldenEye: Source Forums

• October 19, 2024, 02:27:02 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom level music on dedicated server?  (Read 7863 times)

Marnes

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Marnes has no influence.
Custom level music on dedicated server?
« on: November 29, 2014, 03:52:30 pm »

Heya. I looked around on the wiki, google and in the server's files, but I can't get this to work.

I have a dedicated server set up, it works fine and people can connect. What I want to do next is put in custom music that should play while we fight, to replace the default soundtrack. It'll probably need to download around the time they connect.

I've put my custom music (mp3 and ogg versions of each, low bitrate) into the music dir with plain filenames. I've removed all txt files from /scripts/music, except for the default and menu ones. Both menu and default point to my custom filenames. When it didn't work, I added the txt file for the specific map back in and also made it point to my custom music, that didn't help.

In server_cfg, download is allowed and consistency is checked. In my client, the dropdown is set to "allow all custom files from server". I've restarted the server.

When I connect via LAN, I still don't hear my custom music, just the default.

What am I missing? I've messed around with all combinations of things, of course.

Thanks for any help!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 04:17:15 pm by Marnes »

soupcan

• Lead Systems Administrator
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 236
  • soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Profile
Re: Custom level music on dedicated server?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 04:57:22 pm »

No. The server can't overwrite files the client already has.

Marnes

• Agent
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 05:29:46 pm »

No. The server can't overwrite files the client already has.
And the server also can't tell the client to use a stream instead of local files? I could swear I was on a server once where they played custom music... :( At the very least I remember sound files downloading and custom SFX to announce stuff.

Edit: does that imply that if I rename the map to make it look like a new one, it and its related files will be downloaded though?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 05:37:23 pm by Marnes »

soupcan

• Lead Systems Administrator
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 236
  • soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 05:39:00 pm »

And the server also can't tell the client to use a stream instead of local files? I could swear I was on a server once where they played custom music... :(

With a server plugin, yes, you can do that. However, there is no way to have the server silence the client's music.

does that imply that if I rename the map to make it look like a new one, it and its related files will be downloaded though?

You technically can do that, but ultimately, the question is... why?

There is no reason the server should be overriding assets like music. If a player wants to listen to something else, they will. The server shouldn't be deciding what they listen to, especially when that means downloading the map and music all over again.

Marnes

• Agent
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 06:05:43 pm »

With a server plugin, yes, you can do that. However, there is no way to have the server silence the client's music.

You technically can do that, but ultimately, the question is... why?

There is no reason the server should be overriding assets like music. If a player wants to listen to something else, they will. The server shouldn't be deciding what they listen to, especially when that means downloading the map and music all over again.
I agree with your objection of course, but the why would be because I want that particular music to play when someone's on my server, as a sort of identity thing, and because I can (not).

Oh well, thanks for clearing that up.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 06:26:32 pm »

So you're talking about a server intro thing, not about replacing the music completly.

I guess there are possibilities for that e.g. with a admin tool like sourcemod.
The most common usage is having quake sounds played at certain events like a kill or death of a player.

Most ppl are annoyed of these things and i'd prefer to play on a server that doesn't force me to download a whole lot of additional files wasting minutes of my time i'd rather spent playing. (beside that i disable these sounds as soon as possibly anyway)

If you wanna create an enjoyable experience for the players, i'd rather think about Features like map and gameplay voting.

I guess an intro sound of let's say 10-15 seconds would be ok though.

Marnes

• Agent
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 07:39:34 pm »

So you're talking about a server intro thing, not about replacing the music completly.

I guess there are possibilities for that e.g. with a admin tool like sourcemod.
The most common usage is having quake sounds played at certain events like a kill or death of a player.

Most ppl are annoyed of these things and i'd prefer to play on a server that doesn't force me to download a whole lot of additional files wasting minutes of my time i'd rather spent playing. (beside that i disable these sounds as soon as possibly anyway)

If you wanna create an enjoyable experience for the players, i'd rather think about Features like map and gameplay voting.

I guess an intro sound of let's say 10-15 seconds would be ok though.

No, I meant replacing the music entirely. :P

kraid

• Game Artist
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 12:52:46 am »

This is impossible. Also i cannot think of any reason why anyone would want to replace them.

Marnes

• Agent
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 01:57:30 pm »

This is impossible. Also i cannot think of any reason why anyone would want to replace them.
Don't get me wrong, the soundtrack is epic, but I was thinking of putting custom music on my server to match the custom sort of gamemodes I mostly run on it. Set the right atmosphere for them.

kraid

• Game Artist
    • my Homepage
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 03:27:30 pm »

The decission on the music is always up to the client, at least the ones that know how to edit the music scripts.
All you might be able to do is offfering alternatives.
Back in beta 1.1 days we had a webmusic stream thing on the WNx server as well.
It featured several classic bond themes as well as some other stuff.

I guess it was an admin tool feature/plugin since you called it with !radio.
But i'm not sure if it's still possible.
Also note that an additional stream might worsen the players game experience by increasing latency.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 04:40:13 pm »

Trust me, if you want to replace people's music you'll have an empty server. Just abandon the idea.
Pages: [1]   Go Up