GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 08:14:20 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Splitscreen] Stop the engine from capping cpu utilization when unfocused.  (Read 7517 times)

JakeArvizu

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • JakeArvizu has no influence.

I know GoldenEye source doesn't support Splitscreen and because of source engine limitations it probably isn't coming any time soon but I found a way to have two instances of the game running borderless(using sandboxie) side by side however the engine automatically limits the cpu utilization of the game that's window is not in focus, is there any way around this?

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps

No. We don't control what happens when the window is in or out of focus.

JakeArvizu

• Agent

After doing some digging around I have found there is a source engine command called engine_no_focus_sleep 0, however it is not available in Goldeneye Source, is it a relatively new feature?

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!

Split screen was built into the engine as part of Orange Box.  Which is all tied into L4D and console play.   For a while the Hammer editor even had an output option of XBox 360.

Some people did manage to enable it on the PC side, but lack of controls and NO support from Valve killed it off quickly.
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

JakeArvizu

• Agent

I found that using sandboxie you can have two instances side by side and connect via lan to pretty much do the exact same as splitscreen however the source engine by default sleeps frames and mutes the out of focus window but they added a convar to disable this engine_no_focus_sleep 0, it's just not available in Goldeneye Source.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page

Split screen works great in L4D PC, I use it for playing with family members. You have to enter like a dozen console commands, but as a Source modder it doesn't bother me.

Unfortunately I know of no other branch outside of L4D 1/2 that has any sort of splitscreen available, and sorry JakeArvizu but that work around sounds horrible...
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

JakeArvizu

• Agent

I'm not saying it would be any official idea to add but it does work for those who do want to play locally with friends which is one of Goldeneyes main selling points. It can be done and works perfect besides the fact that the source engine enables the feature that sleep frames when not in focus by default. See
Pages: [1]   Go Up