GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 25, 2024, 12:49:05 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Is the below proposition something you would join in on?

Yes!  Been looking for this!  I will definitely play here!
Yes!  I want to help build it and be a part of the admin team!
Whatever, I may stop by but no promises.
No, your not the first to try, you will fail like the rest.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Considering New Server / Community for GE:S  (Read 4503 times)

LactoseTheIntolerant

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • LactoseTheIntolerant has no influence.
Considering New Server / Community for GE:S
« on: August 20, 2014, 04:57:42 pm »

Hello Community!

I am new to the forums but certainly not new to GE:S.  Like many of you, I discovered this game while looking for ports of the original N64 version and fell in love with it.  It strikes me as unfortunate that there is not a huge following behind the game however I aim to assist with this. 

Over the years I have noticed the big servers for GE:S are usually part of a larger gaming community.  Although this is great to introduce new players to the game, it fails in offering a focus for those really interested in being a part of it.  I would like to gauge the communities reaction to the following project.  The feedback will dictate wether or not I proceed.

1) I aim to create a dedicated server for GE:S.  This is nothing new really.  The server would run all appropriate add ons incl RTV and GE:S-Stats.  The aim would be to maintain the vanilla gameplay of GE:S while offering users the ability to cycle maps, view stats and enjoy the game in general. The server would not be branded and not offer popups about joining blah blah blah.

2) Create a first class website / forum / calendar of events (I'm a web developer btw) aimed at creating a community of like minded players.  Players could login and join the conversation, book themselves into events and make comments.  There would be a donation section to help keep me from going broke however no 'membership' level that would put you above other players.

3) Scheduled play would be organized and a regular rotation of events put into action.  From standard play to specialty games.  Each week we would have a tournament where, the winner would be granted VIP on the server, some specialty skins and coloured name in chat for three weeks.  In time IRL prizes could be offered by sponsors for larger tournaments.   Events would be chosen by community polls.

4) TeamChat would also be available to all users with a mic

What I need?

Well first of all support of the community. Would you be part of this? If not, its not worth my time to build if no one will play.  Comment below with your thoughts.  I am looking for, at minimum, 10 players interested in regular events to start this off.

My intent is not to make money or anything of the sort but rather have fun and build something people can enjoy.  In addition to players, I am looking for like-minded individuals willing to assist with this vision and help make it happen.  Wether you are skilled with admin functions on a server, web development or forum moderation I could sure use the help.  Let me know if this is something that interests you.

So again, this may simply be a stupid idea but bottom line I want to be part of this game.  I want to build something meaningful and I see a opportunity to make a positive impact here.

Graslu

• You can't win.
  • Tester
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!
    • YouTube
Re: Considering New Server / Community for GE:S
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 08:10:42 pm »

First of all, welcome to the forums! I'm the leader of WNxGES and its servers, I can give you a few tips and feedback here.

1) RTV is pretty much the only plugin (or add-on like you call them) needed for the community, others like gamemode votes, or radar votes aren't needed in my opinion since there will be admins around now and then. ges-stats is not released and only WNx servers have it for now, it was made by one of our members (using HLstatsX:CE engine) , and I'm not sure how easy or hard it would be to open it for the whole mod. Anyways, I recommend to keep the plugins limited and don't add too many of them.

2) A Steam group would be enough, I think. Unless you want to create a web and practice.

3) There are already monthly events on Troy's server, but not tournaments. I like tournaments. (also anyone can have a colored chat name if you know how :))

4) GE:S is more fun without teamchat in mics, there's nothing that requires "tactical" gameplay and most of times the mic is just to have fun.

Personally I have my prefered server (I think it's obvious which one I prefer...), but if a server is well done I would go there sometimes.

About helping, I can always give feedback. Also don't give a lot of admin access, having a few admins that are active is enough and keeps everything more easily manageable.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 09:01:56 pm by Graslu »

soupcan

• Lead Systems Administrator
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 214
  • soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 09:49:36 pm »

Tbh, GE:S doesn't need another server. If you want to make your own unique thing -- great -- but there's already plenty of servers and this won't be much different than existing servers or the random servers that pop up by people who never play.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 11:22:30 pm »

Agree. Your efforts would be better spent fixing sourcemod plugins or providing detailed feedback to one of the major servers already out there to help enhance the way the mod is played. (Not to mention this route is MUCH cheaper on you)

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 12:20:09 am »

Wnx is already popular by demand. Everything you said could be incorporated in their community. They already have the player base. With your server, you would need players. Where or how you acquire them? Cost is a important thing. What if no one donates to your server or website?

Another thing is server maintenance. If your away, who else will maintain the server if it goes down? You need a admin in the server a couple of times a week.

Not saying you are not capable, but it would be too much effort running everything by yourself. If you do continue to make it happen, I wish you best of luck. 

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 11:37:19 am »

I'm a little confused.

At first it sounds like you don't like the clan servers, but then you suggest something that is very similar to a clan.

If you want to be part of something, join a clan (with WNx and 1138 we have two clans that are rather different in their clan philosophy) or simply stick with this community here and be part of it.

You can always find something meaningfull to build within the community.

Since you're web developer, there might be some interresting tasks for you e.g. what KM pointed out.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 11:44:05 am »

As a matter of fact we could def use a facelift on our own site... That would be so immensely helpful to this mod.
Pages: [1]   Go Up