GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 07:21:07 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: More Bonds  (Read 18803 times)

DrDean

• Model Man
  • Retired Developer
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 51
  • DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.
More Bonds
« on: February 20, 2014, 03:09:48 pm »

I made this mod for myself as an experiment in adding new characters to the game, but I may as well post it here. Very very easy to add characters, kudos to the developers. Only issue being is that the character select screen isn't currently made for having extra characters meaning there's no way to scroll down if some are added - although technically all the default characters included with the mod are there. No idea if it works online, I'm having a common error that prevents me from joining games on some Source mods. Bots will occasionally pick the new characters, though! Not entirely sure if you'd be able to download new characters from servers, even with something like SourceMod. If you did, they would stay permanently with your game until deletion much like custom maps.

Models are not my property, Pierce and Sean are from the 'Everything or Nothing' and 'From Russia with Love' games respectively. I think I'll be playing around with this some more, hence the work in progress. Anyway, I attached the download for what I have right now. Just copy the 'models' 'materials' and 'scripts' folders into your 'gesource' folder.

UPDATED:

No longer are new characters, they are skins for the default Bond. There are also options included in the update to replace the default Bond with either Brosnan or Connery to avoid error model issues for other players. I didn't take new pictures for the updated version so the ones you see below are old.

If you downloaded the previous version, I recommend you delete 'allbonds.txt' inside of gesource/scripts/character

• Replacing Bond with either Connery or Brosnan will get rid of the issue of other players seeing error models, but you may only have one replaced at a time.
• Adding Connery and Brosnan to Bond will keep the error model issue, but remove the issue of missing characters in the character select menu (Ourumov).

To install, copy all folders inside the option folder you've chosen and paste it inside of the 'Steam/steamapps/sourcemods/gesource' folder.

I've also attached the source files (SMDs + QCs) for those interested in looking at how these were compiled for GE:S. They aren't necessary to use or install the mod.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 03:44:12 pm by DrDean »

Peroxwhy?gen

• GE:S Lifer
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...
Re: More Bonds
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 08:13:55 pm »

You might want to replace models rather than add them, people will see a giant error sign coming at people that don't have it.

I SHOOT YOU FUCKING 16 PP7 SHOOTS AND YOU DONT DIE MAN

Jonathan Dark

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Jonathan Dark has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 12:46:41 am »

You might want to replace models rather than add them, people will see a giant error sign coming at people that don't have it.
Yeah got that too.... Leaded me to the Download ;D

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 03:58:33 am »

Hmmmmmmm.... you did a great job hacking around the characters!

I never implemented the page scrolling on the character select screen... will have to look into that for the next release.

As for adding characters... they shouldn't cause error signs, but if they do that is a bug.

You can likely just add these models as additional "skins" to the bond definition. You can define both a model and a texture set for each skin.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 04:22:26 am »

We need more character modelers/riggers, you should apply for the team (please!) ;)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 09:15:09 pm by Jonathon [SSL] »
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Troy

• GE:S Coder
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 260
  • Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 04:47:16 am »

Very cool!
Complete - Arsenal, One Bullet is Enough, Tournament DM v2, TurboDM
Defunct - Agent Under Fire
VC - Being such a dick, KM must be stroked before springing into action.

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 05:09:15 am »

Very rad, sir.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 05:48:11 am »

That is awesome!

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 08:31:07 am »

This is so awesome

Now all we need is Roger and Tim and then the collection is complete :)

Rick Astley

• Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 08:47:23 am »

i just got invisible characters....

Peroxwhy?gen

• GE:S Lifer
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 09:03:31 am »

i just got invisible characters....

I've noticed that it only happens on dedicated servers, but if you run a LAN game or play on Non dedicated servers, that you can select the models.

I SHOOT YOU FUCKING 16 PP7 SHOOTS AND YOU DONT DIE MAN

Rick Astley

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 09:42:23 am »

I've noticed that it only happens on dedicated servers, but if you run a LAN game or play on Non dedicated servers, that you can select the models.

i was playing with bots offline...so yeah not sure

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 01:18:30 pm »

The only time i experienced an issue with invisible models was when i included custom ammo boxes into a map file.
During map transition from a map with regular ammo boxes to a map with custom ones or vice verse, they were invisible.

I don't know exactly, but i guess during map transition, a few things like models that are always used are keept in memory to save loading time.
Now if a change occures on this model, the engine cannot fully load it due to conflicts with the allready precached one.

Custom textures on the other hand will work even if they're included into the bsp.

While adding custom characters to your client is easy in GES, the difficulties come with online play.
(note that i'm not talking about model sweps here)
If you'd add a brand new character to your client, let's say Xenia, you might wanna use her online.
But other clients and even the server don't have the neccessary files to display the model.

Even if a server would distribute the model files via download:
1. there are certain files that cannot be modified by a server download
2. the precaching of scripts and gui elements might cause issues too,
at the very first connection for sure.
3. what if there's a server running without the custom models?

I'm not a programmer, so i don't know if there might be a solution for all these things.
Then again, it's not only a question of time and effort that needs to be put into that,
but also a question of the benefits vs the risk.

Let's say there would be a system that allows the user to add their custom characters to the game in a way that everyone is able to see it on his client too.
I bet we'd soon see a lot of stuff unsuitable for the mod but only a few characters that are really worth adding, if any at all.

We're not GMOD, so anyone who wants to see giant walking penis and nude Alyx, should go there.

If anyone has a character that's really worth adding it to the mod, it can be also posted here. Just like DrDean did.
(the guard model ofc. since the others are property of EA)

PATRIOTA

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • PATRIOTA is looked down upon.
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 07:45:48 am »

My dream was to see one of these guys in goldeneye source. you managed to put the two in the game. without overwriting the original  this is fantastic!!!
however... unfortunately our friend Ourumov has disappeared    O_____o???
I hope you can solve this little problem. so the community can add this mod in the next update (if everyone to agrees) 
excellent work Dean. I hope to see in future characters like  dr. Doak, Natalya Simonova, Xenia Onatopp   8)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 07:49:06 am by PATRIOTA »

DrDean

• Model Man
  • Retired Developer
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 51
  • DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 03:34:30 pm »

unfortunately our friend Ourumov has disappeared    O_____o???
I hope you can solve this little problem. so the community can add this mod in the next update (if everyone to agrees) 
excellent work Dean. I hope to see in future characters like  dr. Doak, Natalya Simonova, Xenia Onatopp   8)
These specific models are off limits for being officially added to GE:S as they are not property of the GE:S team, like kraid mentioned. However, there's no reason one couldn't use these models as reference when making one's own characters.

Ourumov's not gone, just hidden like the UI bug I mentioned in the first post. No matter, I updated the first post's attachment which should fix this: it replaces Bond's suit skins with Connery and Brosnan. Not sure why I didn't do that before. There is also an option to replace the default GE:S Bond with either Connery or Brosnan, for those who do not like the error model issue. A tiny easter egg that nobody will ever notice if you replace Bond with Connery as well. If you downloaded the last version I highly recommend you delete the old 'allbonds.txt' file in gesource/scripts/character

You can define both a model and a texture set for each skin.
This isn't related to anything in this thread, but I noticed there was an option for a viewmodel skin in the character scripts. Are there different first person suit sleeve colors depending on which skin you took? I've never noticed before. You should look into using $color and alpha channels ($blendTintByBaseAlpha) for the sleeves if you have separate textures for them. It will cut down on texture space and would allow you to use different colored hands/sleeves for the other characters as well without having new textures. Heck, model out the rest of the arm and make the sleeve a bodygroup so you can switch it off for people like Boris or Mayday. Of course it would stray from 007 N64's consistent viewmodel hands and may not be worth it for the small amount of time you see the sleeve, but I figured I'd bring this up anyway.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 04:37:10 pm by DrDean »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up