GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 28, 2024, 01:19:50 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: GE:S just doesn't feel right to play?  (Read 13032 times)

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: GE:S just doesn't feel right to play?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 08:45:29 pm »

This is not the type of game where you get "easy kills" by sneaking up and pumping some bullets in some guy. I'm sorry, but it never will be like that.

I said "no changes to be made" in my reply because you were making a point that the invulnerability system is awkward and unneeded. However, as stated in the wiki article, the system was present and an integral part of N64 GoldenEye. That is why I said "no changes needed" from that perspective because we are trying to emulate N64 GoldenEye.

I concede that the ramp up in invuln time may need to be revisited and bugs fixed.

Spacedud

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Spacedud has no influence.
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2013, 12:02:57 am »

Then emulate the hit detection consistency from N64 GE. Also, emulate weapon swaying and moaning voices from gun shots. :angel: I think people remember and love such things more than something technical as a hit detection system.

I don't see how an option to turn it off would hunt anybody, though, depending on how hard it'd be to implement. There's already options to turn on/off jumping/radar. So you're not against providing options for alternating the gameplay, evidently. I don't see how this is any different. But whatever. Enough said on that. I made my point.

Edit:
So 'no radar' is a cheat in N64 GE, I found out.

I can just hope that the hit detection is made more consistent.

Also, I have another agenda. Since N64 GE multiplayer was played on the same hardware, how best to emulate it but to add a 'LAN optimised mode'? I think that'd be cool. The players wouldn't actually have to be on a LAN, rather the ping should probably be <50 for this setting to function without ping related issues.

You'd have new option available if you think about it.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 12:17:50 am by Spacedud »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 02:54:48 am »

All weapon damages and fire rates are balanced against the invulnerability system. If you simply turn it off then you would kill people in less than a second, much like in LTK. Plus the pain hurt sound would play about 4-5 times in succession causing the screen to white out.

It is not a simple thing to disable, nor should it be since this is how the game is structured.

We tested pain sounds, and they were really annoying with so many players in a server. I do not see this feature being in the game anytime soon unless someone can make a non-annoying pain sound.

Weapon sway is in the game, I am really confused by this. There is even a subtle, GE64 inspired, breath effect that moves your aim position around. Weapon idle animations may be what you mean which are entirely inconsequential and do not affect gameplay (read "for show").

I know I am not being very forthright with your suggestions, but I hope you realize that we have not done things "by accident" on this mod. We have over 5 years of testing and suggestions under our belt. Some things work, some things do not.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 03:00:35 am by killermonkey »

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2013, 03:11:14 am »

i was kinda hoping for a female breathe sound though
because hearing Mayday or Female Scientist with male breathing sounds...kinda freaks me out thinking about it...

Then again Mayday was very...ummm manly in a view to a kill
 :o

Spacedud

• Agent
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2013, 11:24:56 am »

All weapon damages and fire rates are balanced against the invulnerability system. If you simply turn it off then you would kill people in less than a second, much like in LTK. Plus the pain hurt sound would play about 4-5 times in succession causing the screen to white out.

It is not a simple thing to disable, nor should it be since this is how the game is structured.

We tested pain sounds, and they were really annoying with so many players in a server. I do not see this feature being in the game anytime soon unless someone can make a non-annoying pain sound.

Weapon sway is in the game, I am really confused by this. There is even a subtle, GE64 inspired, breath effect that moves your aim position around. Weapon idle animations may be what you mean which are entirely inconsequential and do not affect gameplay (read "for show").

I know I am not being very forthright with your suggestions, but I hope you realize that we have not done things "by accident" on this mod. We have over 5 years of testing and suggestions under our belt. Some things work, some things do not.

Well, I meant aim swaying. I don't know what it is called. Like, aim and the weapon would move independently. That'd really make GE:S feel like something unique.

I do understand these issues which you describe by simple turning the hit system off. It could be done, but I'd also prioritize working out the hard edges of the current system, too.

On sounds, couldn't such pain sounds just be an option, though? It's not a limitation, so I don't get it. You have to understand that not all players play on high pop servers. I have to emphasise this strongly. I personally only play with 4-6 players max. I like a more personal gameplay like on the N64 console.

I've no doubt that you guys have a ton of experience by creating this mod, but even so, sometimes outside views is needed, too.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 01:02:49 pm by Spacedud »

StupidMarioBros1Fan[1138]

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • StupidMarioBros1Fan[1138] barely matters.StupidMarioBros1Fan[1138] barely matters.
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2013, 02:37:08 pm »

By the screen swaying, we mean by when you turn around and stuff, not by when you're idle and the screen moves around a little, which is nice little touch by the way, but the screen doesn't exactly "move" when you turn, or atleast doesn't feel like it with the gun being still...well actually the guns do move a tiny bit, but not as much as other FPS games and especially not like GoldenEye, and really I had to stare at the screen closely to notice that the gun would turn. :P
I do agree with the ability to turn the hurt sounds on or off, because some people might get used to it (I bet I could), and like Spacedud said, not everyone plays on populated servers, plus it does make bots seem a bit more "alive" considering how stupid and dull they are. xD Plus it'll add more sounds for Graslu0 to add in his N64 Sound Pack. lol
The invulnerability system I haven't really notice that much, it's just that I hate it when I would shoot a guy and they don't get hurt even when they're weren't in the invulnerability moment, especially if I'm recording and I've got video proof that I shot a gun in the face with a magnum or Moonraker laser, where the shot is almost always a one hit kill, and the person has the blood or paint on their face and the hit confirming sound in the video to prove that I hit them. :P
I do want to ask since we're on the topic of 4.3, are the death animations going to be based off the GE64 ones, or average kind of animations like in other FPS games or real life? I've been thinking about making a GE64 animation pack (if even possible) because I'm one of the players that just loves the way the original was in the sounds and animations, and was wondering if these death animations would be anything like the original. For some time I wondered why the Grenade Launcher's reload animation was different and was going to change that until I thought about how it would mess with the time difference of the original reload and could mess up gameplay, and realized that it balances the OP-ness of the weapon a bit.
I believe that the rest of the weapons should have idle animations to make them look less static...but I've already said that in my thread which you've read I think. lol
Don't ask, Stupid Mario Brothers is a YouTube series that I love to watch, and most likely you probably read my username as "SuperMarioBros1Fan" at some point. Yes I get that question a lot since this isn't the only account with this name. ::)

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 06:56:15 pm »

This is a good discussion and I want it to continue. It has dawned on me that it would be really cool to have a simple "classic mode" toggle on the main menu that flipped all client side effects (death anim, aim sway, hurt sounds, etc) into N64 canon mode.

This would also allow me to release experimental features that you could try out without impactinging our larger audience.

Whatcha think?

I also want to tweak the dynamic invulnerability, but that will take a lot of testing so don't expect that too happen soon. I will fix the armor bug I mentioned though for 4.3.

Graslu

• You can't win.
  • Tester
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!
    • YouTube
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 07:29:01 pm »

In my opinion, at least death animations and aim sway should be there by default. Of course only when it's working right, adding that feature to the menu and/or a command while it's still a "test" would be good too.
I don't know why the aim sway should be an option, and if it's an option make it only for client-side and not the server so everyone can choose, if that's possible. It would just emulate N64 movement and shouldn't change the gameplay at all, just a visual effect, except if it affects aim mode too, then it would need a way to disable it.

Same with death animations, just a visual effect and it shouldn't change anything in gameplay but still some people will prefer the ragdolls, I guess this is harder to make a client-side option so maybe a command for the server or something.
Hurt sounds can be annoying sometimes, but it's all about find the perfect sound so you can hear it but won't be really annoying/repetitive.

Rick Astley

• Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 07:33:53 pm »

This is a good discussion and I want it to continue. It has dawned on me that it would be really cool to have a simple "classic mode" toggle on the main menu that flipped all client side effects (death anim, aim sway, hurt sounds, etc) into N64 canon mode.

This would also allow me to release experimental features that you could try out without impactinging our larger audience.

Whatcha think?

I also want to tweak the dynamic invulnerability, but that will take a lot of testing so don't expect that too happen soon. I will fix the armor bug I mentioned though for 4.3.

That would be awesome KM :) especially on classic maps like Temple and Complex :) and Facility Classic

• Secret Agent
  • StupidMarioBros1Fan[1138] barely matters.StupidMarioBros1Fan[1138] barely matters.
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2013, 08:46:34 pm »

Yah sometimes I get really funny ragdoll positions for my or other people's dead bodies, also when there's a really high knock back it can be really funny seeing the ragdoll just fly across the map. xD For the hurt sounds, there'll be multiple ones right? Because the original had like 7 different guard grunts, with a few versions of each of those, like different pitches or something. I do atleast want one based off the wilhem scream since they had made that for when you run over a guard in a tank. 8)
Don't ask, Stupid Mario Brothers is a YouTube series that I love to watch, and most likely you probably read my username as "SuperMarioBros1Fan" at some point. Yes I get that question a lot since this isn't the only account with this name. ::)

Spacedud

• Agent
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2013, 09:21:34 pm »

Whatcha think?

For me personally, I think this sounds really awesome. I'd be very excited about such a mode, indeed. ;D

I understand that some like the Source feel, but I'm a sucker for nostalgia/old school.

About armor bug, sounds good, too.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 09:26:53 pm by Spacedud »

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2013, 01:25:44 am »

Whatcha think?

Yes please!
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

The Cy

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2013, 03:04:47 pm »

this "classic mode" is the coolest idea I've read in a long time
finished: ge_funhouse v4 Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?urjfs3ra2zdslcz

• Secret Agent
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2013, 07:41:22 pm »

Whatcha think?

Wouldn't this be similar to the cancelled XBLA version where you would be able to swap the graphics between the XBLA and N64 versions, except taken up a level? :D

Rick Astley

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2013, 10:59:18 pm »

Wouldn't this be similar to the cancelled XBLA version where you would be able to swap the graphics between the XBLA and N64 versions, except taken up a level? :D

they also said the same with Perfect Dark XBLA but in the end you couldnt switch to the old graphics
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up