GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 10:07:10 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Linux Client  (Read 27578 times)

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
Re: Linux Client
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 12:20:35 pm »

I hope this doesn't mean starting from scratch again.

From what i've read about it so far, the 2013 build has also a slightly better shadow rendering, Multicore support + the stuff you allready mentioned.

So it should be somewhere up to par with L4D2, but still behind CS:GO with it's CSM.

foul_owl

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • foul_owl has no influence.
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2013, 11:50:08 pm »

I want to be clear: I was in no way implying that you could simply type "make" and have everything work with the new version of the SDK! I was just excited that a Linux version of the SDK exists now.

Major cheers to you and all the devs for your hard work.  ;D

kidx

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • kidx has no influence.
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2013, 01:56:41 am »

My question is will we see a Linux version of this any time soon cause I miss playing no joke even know I had my issues in the past.

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2013, 05:05:50 am »

v4.3 might see linux. Any time soon? No.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

kidx

• Secret Agent
  • kidx has no influence.
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2013, 01:15:35 pm »

As long as i know you guys have plans for Linux I am happy cause every other mod is not releasing on Linux or mac, at all from what I see.Also what is the point to this linux support if no other mods are being released on here by the way if you guys do Linux 2013 sdk could be green light ready ill vote for this.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2013, 09:38:40 am »

Greenlight will never happen, simply because it's not our own IP and Greenlight doesn't allow this.

As for mods beeing ported to Source 2013 sdk, i think this will only be a question for mods which are still active.
Lots of the "finished" and abadoned mods won't see an update.
Since Valve constantly breaking stuff even on the older SDK versions, some of them are allready broken.
Especially multiplayer mods are affected by this drastically, since they require a user base.

While some things might be fixable with little workarrounds (like using the steam.inf), it's not easy to communicate that to everyone who'd like to play the mod.
So no new version means the community is dead without a chance of reviving.

On the other hand, the ones that are still active and updating their mods have to considder if it's worth the effort to update to the 2013 SDK.
Some might have not made this decission, some just don't made it public yet and some don't want to update.
And the most clever ones are waiting till valve is done with breaking stuff, fixing, braking it again and evenually fixing stuff somewhen.

kidx

• Secret Agent
  • kidx has no influence.
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 09:29:36 pm »

Well its not like any one on Linux can help port it since valve left all the SDK tools on Windows so this is similar to Unity, If you wanna develop for Linux you need to have windows I know it sucks.

soupcan

• Lead Systems Administrator
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 214
  • soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, 03:30:30 am »

Just so you guys know, it looks like SDK Base 2007 will support Linux, and possibly OSX after the Steampipe update. Currently, selecting the "steampipe" beta allows you to install it under Linux. Can't say how functional it is at the time though as I haven't tried it, but I know SDK Base 2007 seems to crash at launch under Windows with Steampipe; you can't even do the Lost Coast demo.

I can't say I didn't expect it to arrive, all things considered. Especially with an out-of-the-blue port of SDK Base 2006 to OSX.

Edit: It appears it ships with the Windows binaries at the time. D'oh. I'm not sure it means nothing though; Valve wouldn't mess that up so easily.

Well its not like any one on Linux can help port it since valve left all the SDK tools on Windows so this is similar to Unity, If you wanna develop for Linux you need to have windows I know it sucks.

Dual booting or using virtual machines isn't exactly a foreign concept to Linux users. Just about all Linux gamers have been doing it for years. But I agree, it still sort of sucks.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 01:43:57 pm by soupcan »

kidx

• Secret Agent
  • kidx has no influence.
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 09:52:23 pm »

Well let me know if you find more info on valve extending the support for SDK Base 2007.

zeonicore

• Agent
  • zeonicore has no influence.
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2013, 11:56:15 pm »

I see that Source SDK Base 2007 is now available to install under Steam for Linux. Is there anything else needed here besides recompiling/porting and testing the code base for Linux? Does the currently available sdk released for Linux allow compiling for 2007?

Edit:
It appears that it merely allowed me to download the Windows version of SDK Base 2007. Also, I was unable to find Source SDK 2007 on their git page. I'm not sure if this means that they plan on sdk 2007 games being supported through wine only, or if they accidentally offered the option to install SDK Base 2007 on Linux with the Windows binaries instead of the Linux ones. I suppose we'll see. In the meantime, I'm going to see if I can install the windows version of Goldeneye Source in such a way that it can be played through the Linux steam client so that I don't have to have two separate steam installations.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 12:42:15 am by zeonicore »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2013, 04:05:14 am »

I don't have a compile pipe to get us to Linux on Source SDK Base 2007. It's not worth my time to create one either since SDK 2013 has that compile pipe built-in.

In due time padawan. Christmas might come early...

foul_owl

• Agent
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2014, 01:16:05 am »

Hi folks,

Just wondering how this is going. Anything like https://www.bountysource.com/ for motivation?  ;D

RobbeR49

• Agent
  • RobbeR49 has no influence.
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2014, 11:10:42 pm »

I was able to compile the git version, couldn't figure out how to actually run it after that, and haven't had a chance to look at it again since.

I think the next release would surely have a linux version, whenever it occurs.

cdoublejj

• Agent
  • cdoublejj has no influence.
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2014, 06:01:29 am »

well Valve has released A/Some tools to help aid in linux ports if not mistaken. some talk about a tool for assisting in porting from Direct X to Open GL or something or other.

I also wonder how possible it would be to slip GES in to the steam workshop for easy 1 click installation? That's probably just wishful thinking if any thing.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 03:17:40 am by cdoublejj »

foul_owl

• Agent
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2015, 07:15:31 pm »

Hi folks,

I was wondering if there was any news on this front?

I'm definitely down to post a bounty for porting to Linux, if this is something the devs are ok with. Maybe a few hundred $.

Thanks!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up