GoldenEye: Source Forums

• October 19, 2024, 10:32:54 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: GE:S Fan Promotion Initiative  (Read 11587 times)

IHateThisMap

• 00 Newbie
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • IHateThisMap has no influence.
GE:S Fan Promotion Initiative
« on: March 29, 2013, 03:39:25 pm »

Hi all I have just started playing GS:E again but I have noticed the player numbers are dwindling and sometimes there is no one to play at all. I would like to promote a fan project in with the goal to garner more mainstream attention to the game. To do this I recommend that we do a number of actions to make more people aware of our favorite source mod and build our multiplayer community. 

First of all I think we should start forum posts on popular forums and sites talking about the game and making more people aware of it. You should post links to the threads you create on other site here so that existing fans can join the discussion and make the threads seam more active.

Secondly you should tweet, Facebook and comment on the Steam Community about the game and friend member of this forums who can then help promote your posts.

You may also want to make some videos about the game, you could do reviews, “let’s plays” and fan made trailers then post them here so we can like and share them.

Finally we should email or message mainstream gaming press and popular You Tubers and recommend that they write articles and make videos about the game. Relay here which persons in the press you have contacted so that other members can contact the same people. If they get a few messages at the same time about GE:S the maybe more likely to pay attention.

I have already taken the lead on this project by emailing some of my favorite You Tubers but I can’t do anything alone. I will try to contact more soon and I hope everyone will do the same. Remember that we all have to work together and make it look like there is a sudden burst of interest in the game.

As fans we should take an active role in building and maintaining a strong multiplayer community, it’s the least we can do for the great people who have donated the time to creating such a great game for us. Thanks I hope everyone will come up with great ideas on how we can promote this great game!

I have contacted:
http://www.facebook.com/LazyGameReviews
http://classicgameroom.com/

Friend me on steam:
IHateThisMap
http://steamcommunity.com/id/uglycracker/home

XtremeWRATH

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • XtremeWRATH has no influence.
Re: GE:S Fan Promotion Initiative
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 01:44:31 pm »

Just started playing this recently, im sure a few of you have seen me in the servers already. Well i already have brought over two of my friends LeonLeonHeart and Abraham and they both love the game and im trying to get more of my friends to play it too. We all love the game and can't wait to see what comes next

Bashe

• Uppercut, oh yeah
  • Retired Developer
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 73
  • Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!
    • GoldenEye: Source Homepage
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 07:30:06 pm »

It's good to see new players wanting to expand the playerbase. To me, the biggest problem this mod has, aside from its somewhat higher learning curve and problems with hit detection, is the fact that nobody sticks around. Having played the mod more-or-less consistently since summer of 2009, I have seen countless faces come and go, usually not sticking around longer than a month - I've been lucky to see some people stick around longer than a few weeks or even DAYS really. I don't know what the big deal is either, because most of the people who end up never coming back are like you, in that they're really excited about how cool and fun and nostalgic the game is, and then they just vanish.

The mod unfortunately doesn't get a lot of exposure, and attempts have been made to fix that, and are still being made. Vinesauce, a reasonably notable streamer, streamed the game to his fans on Traitor's Gate (my server) and we were hoping it'd make a splash, but unfortunately it kind of petered out before long, in that nobody affiliated with the stream stuck around for longer than a few days, except for one recent newcomer. Some of my friends have made attempts to plug the mod in other places, but often times it just doesn't work out. We either get players or go away almost immediately, or NOTHING happens at all. We're also kind of stuck in an unfortunate lull that tends to happen several months after a new version comes out. These are usually the worst because at times like this, just about nobody is playing, and that hurts the mod. I do what I can to play, but even with as persistent as I've been, I can't just hang around by myself waiting for people to join all the time - that gets old quick.

If you're looking to play, the best times are usually to wait until around the evening (eastern time). During the day, especially weekdays, there's barely any activity, but at night, more people come out to play. You can usually find me on my friends playing on Traitor's Gate ({{TG}}) at those later times, and we have fun on there. Whatever you do - don't give up! Keep telling your friends and spreading the word about the mod. It would be very disappointing to see you disappear like so many others have before you. The mod definitely deserves more exposure and is a blast to play after all this time, and we need more new faces who will stick around. You don't have to play every day, but make an effort to play maybe a few times a week or so - that's good enough.

(Just as a side note - on the ingame server list, if you can only see like two servers at a time, untick the "show map list" button and refresh. Then all the available servers should appear. Make sure you tell others about this too, since this could be an issue in finding servers over than WNx, which is always available.)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 08:21:47 pm by Bashe »

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 10:10:03 pm »

I think another problem is that a lot of people just aren't into Goldeneye like they used to be. I'm one of the younger developers/players, and none of my RL friends are familiar with GE007 or even HL1 and can't stand the slower pace of their gameplay. It's really disappointing.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

terps4life90

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 12:32:16 am »

It's good to see new players wanting to expand the playerbase. To me, the biggest problem this mod has, aside from its somewhat higher learning curve and problems with hit detection, is the fact that nobody sticks around. Having played the mod more-or-less consistently since summer of 2009, I have seen countless faces come and go, usually not sticking around longer than a month - I've been lucky to see some people stick around longer than a few weeks or even DAYS really. I don't know what the big deal is either, because most of the people who end up never coming back are like you, in that they're really excited about how cool and fun and nostalgic the game is, and then they just vanish.

The mod unfortunately doesn't get a lot of exposure, and attempts have been made to fix that, and are still being made. Vinesauce, a reasonably notable streamer, streamed the game to his fans on Traitor's Gate (my server) and we were hoping it'd make a splash, but unfortunately it kind of petered out before long, in that nobody affiliated with the stream stuck around for longer than a few days, except for one recent newcomer. Some of my friends have made attempts to plug the mod in other places, but often times it just doesn't work out. We either get players or go away almost immediately, or NOTHING happens at all. We're also kind of stuck in an unfortunate lull that tends to happen several months after a new version comes out. These are usually the worst because at times like this, just about nobody is playing, and that hurts the mod. I do what I can to play, but even with as persistent as I've been, I can't just hang around by myself waiting for people to join all the time - that gets old quick.

If you're looking to play, the best times are usually to wait until around the evening (eastern time). During the day, especially weekdays, there's barely any activity, but at night, more people come out to play. You can usually find me on my friends playing on Traitor's Gate ({{TG}}) at those later times, and we have fun on there. Whatever you do - don't give up! Keep telling your friends and spreading the word about the mod. It would be very disappointing to see you disappear like so many others have before you. The mod definitely deserves more exposure and is a blast to play after all this time, and we need more new faces who will stick around. You don't have to play every day, but make an effort to play maybe a few times a week or so - that's good enough.

(Just as a side note - on the ingame server list, if you can only see like two servers at a time, untick the "show map list" button and refresh. Then all the available servers should appear. Make sure you tell others about this too, since this could be an issue in finding servers over than WNx, which is always available.)

Your server is a joke. Nothing but nonstop mic spamming. You and your farts stink up this great game.

Bashe

• Uppercut, oh yeah
  • Retired Developer
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 73
  • Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!
    • GoldenEye: Source Homepage
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 01:28:41 am »

Pay no attention to the poster above me. This particular user has done nothing but spread negativity and treat users like garbage for some time now, then has the gall to play victim whenever he gets called out or otherwise. He goes by RogerMooreSucks ingame generally and likes to cause problems, including impersonating me - beware.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 01:30:56 am by Bashe »

terps4life90

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 02:06:31 am »

Pay no attention to the poster above me. This particular user has done nothing but spread negativity and treat users like garbage for some time now, then has the gall to play victim whenever he gets called out or otherwise. He goes by RogerMooreSucks ingame generally and likes to cause problems, including impersonating me - beware.

If i wanted any shit from you I would squeeze your head. This game is dead... In the next 10 years the player base of this game will still be the same....very small. Sorry developers but i don't bead around the bush. I call it like i see it. This has just came from my observations over the years of playing this game. Bashe you picked on a 10 year old kid and made fun of him...i wouldn't be surprise if the kid killed himself because of what you did to him. If you did that kind of shit to me i would be at your doorstep the next day with a baseball bat. You need to grow the heck up. Your like in your late 20's but act like a 5 year halomasta.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 02:12:20 am by terps4life90 »

Troy

• GE:S Coder
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 260
  • Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 02:16:27 am »

Roger, why are you acting like this...?  I'll agree that the TG's server does get a little out of hand sometimes, but it's their server and they can do what they want.
Complete - Arsenal, One Bullet is Enough, Tournament DM v2, TurboDM
Defunct - Agent Under Fire
VC - Being such a dick, KM must be stroked before springing into action.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 02:42:48 am »

Tone is down terps. Opinions can be stated - outright slander is not tolerated. No one can verify your claims in the post so it's nay pointless to recount a tale.

First warning.

XtremeWRATH

• Agent
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 04:01:22 am »

Thanks for the headsup on the uncheck for the map list gonna pass it around to my friends

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 10:05:12 am »

Shit man... This forums getting like YouTube, always an argument, cut it out all of you I say, what the hell is the problem, this is not a commercial made game with developers being paid a healthy wage each month, this is a fan made modification of Half Life 2 and has over 6 or 7 years taken up the lives of a few dedicated Goldeneye fans that deserve in my opinion a bit more respect.

This mod may not be popular, but there's more heart and passion gone into this project than most commercial games I've played so think about that next time your being negative, and this is not aimed at you Terps, this is for anyone that reads this post.

:)

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 04:46:58 pm »

Shit man... This forums getting like YouTube, always an argument, cut it out all of you I say, what the hell is the problem, this is not a commercial made game with developers being paid a healthy wage each month, this is a fan made modification of Half Life 2 and has over 6 or 7 years taken up the lives of a few dedicated Goldeneye fans that deserve in my opinion a bit more respect.

This mod may not be popular, but there's more heart and passion gone into this project than most commercial games I've played so think about that next time your being negative, and this is not aimed at you Terps, this is for anyone that reads this post.

:)

QFT. This forum's friendly, Don't turn it into a bunch of drama and make it die, Keep the helpful and friendly community.

XtremeWRATH

• Agent
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 10:49:22 pm »

Being new to the mod im loving the game and try to get on as often as i can and even with a small community im perfectly fine with that, it means dealing less with people who just want to trash talk, troll and ruining the overall experience with the game.
The last few nights i been gaming i can see that the community is a tight group and are used to each other and respectful to new people not matter how many bad games they have lol  :P

Maybe Mr Grouchy just needs a hug or two.

terps4life90

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 11:38:08 pm »

Being new to the mod im loving the game and try to get on as often as i can and even with a small community im perfectly fine with that, it means dealing less with people who just want to trash talk, troll and ruining the overall experience with the game.
The last few nights i been gaming i can see that the community is a tight group and are used to each other and respectful to new people not matter how many bad games they have lol  :P

Maybe Mr Grouchy just needs a hug or two.

HAHAHAHAHA...do you give out free hugs? If so can you meet me behind the burger king later tonight?

XtremeWRATH

• Agent
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 02:29:00 am »

Someone thinks they can have it their way.  ;)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up