GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 09:43:48 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Saint is Building a New Computer!  (Read 11225 times)

Excidium

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 11
  • Excidium barely matters.Excidium barely matters.
Re: Saint is Building a New Computer!
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2012, 12:15:42 am »

on the water cooing subject   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835209054   I have this...its a dream Ill tell you.   User control panel that monitors your temps and you can control the fan and pump speeds. Maintenance ... ABSOLUTELY NONE whatsoever Id really go for this....  I use it with an AMD phenom II 1090t 6core and its oced to 4.0 and running about 24c idle and 48c load   nice temps!!!   This set up is the easiest water cooling to get and the safest.

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2012, 02:01:41 am »

on the water cooing subject   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835209054   I have this...its a dream Ill tell you.   User control panel that monitors your temps and you can control the fan and pump speeds. Maintenance ... ABSOLUTELY NONE whatsoever Id really go for this....  I use it with an AMD phenom II 1090t 6core and its oced to 4.0 and running about 24c idle and 48c load   nice temps!!!   This set up is the easiest water cooling to get and the safest.

Does it use distilled water or special type of liquid?

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2012, 10:48:46 am »

It's a closed-loop cooler, you don't change the liquid in them.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2012, 02:53:13 pm »

Just finished installing windows on my SSD.

HOLY FUCK

This is fast, I might update my previous statement..... maybe get a 250 GB SSD so you can store more (BUT NOT ALL) of your programs on the SSD. SSD's are still not necessary or even suggested for storage of more mundane files like videos, images, etc.

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 07:41:18 pm »

....  lol @ KM

Anyway I am using a 240GB.  To be more effective in space you can still put steam on the SSD,  but for the games you don't use as often check out the Steam Mover
http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2012, 06:14:51 am »

Just finished installing windows on my SSD.

HOLY FUCK

This is fast, I might update my previous statement..... maybe get a 250 GB SSD so you can store more (BUT NOT ALL) of your programs on the SSD. SSD's are still not necessary or even suggested for storage of more mundane files like videos, images, etc.

LOL km, have you never used an SSD before? They are a thing of beauty when it comes to access time.
I am doing exactly that now after reading your article. It isn't really necessary to have ALL SSD, especially with the higher prone to failure rate. I'm just going to do 250gb SSD + 1tb western digital caviar black. Should be more than enough for me.

Excidium, thank you for the water cooling suggestion. I will have to buy a cooling solution anyways since the 3930k intel processor doesn't come with stock cooling. Might as well get this since it works well. Thanks!

EDIT: Updated the first post with current things I have been considering and changes. Everything is still tentative and I am more than willing to hear suggestions from you guys about the parts. Especially if performance and price is much better going for another solution. Anything I can do to get price down without compromising a substantial about of performance lose would be nice.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 06:42:29 am by CCsaint10 »

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

CCsaint10

• CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2012, 06:50:02 am »

Ram, anything 1600MHz, it is quad so go for 4x4GB,  its cheap and if you get a mobo with 8 you can still easily upgrade.

Enzo, in order to run the sabertooth in quad channel, is there any way of doing it with 8-12gb of ram? I don't need 16gb but I would still like to get the performance benefit with quad channel. I wouldn't mind talking to you on steam about this whole thing if you get a chance. Have some questions that I am sure you could help me with.

PS: When looking at ram, is there a significant performance difference or a better brand when comparing types of ram? I see a lot of people get the CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 and then the G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900). Should I even go for these brands? Is there one that would offer better price and performance or performance in general?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 06:59:17 am by CCsaint10 »

mbsurfer

• Inactive Tester
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2012, 04:06:42 pm »

G.SKILL Ripjaws are cheap, and they have never failed me.

CCsaint10

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2012, 07:34:16 pm »

Does it provide any performance advantage over the corsair series? They are exactly the same price.

Currently there is a seasonic on sale with newegg. Anyone have this psu or do you guys think it will support/be good enough for my set up? Thoughts?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087&nm_mc=EMC-EXPRESS082512&cm_mmc=EMC-EXPRESS082512-_-EMC-082512-Index-_-PowerSupplies-_-17151087-L08C

Comes out in the end to be 119.99 but it ends today. Think it is worth snagging for the build?

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 01:12:36 am »

G.SKILL Ripjaws are cheap, and they have never failed me.

That's what I got, A+ RAM

Make sure the Frequency is the same, RAM is priced base on marketing (GAMER RAM) and speed (1600 MHz) and type (DDR3). Don't buy RAM based on marketing. Buy RAM that matches your motherboards Front Side Bus (FSB) speed.

Kratos

• Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2012, 05:44:55 am »

yea
Does it provide any performance advantage over the corsair series? They are exactly the same price.

Currently there is a seasonic on sale with newegg. Anyone have this psu or do you guys think it will support/be good enough for my set up? Thoughts?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087&nm_mc=EMC-EXPRESS082512&cm_mmc=EMC-EXPRESS082512-_-EMC-082512-Index-_-PowerSupplies-_-17151087-L08C

Comes out in the end to be 119.99 but it ends today. Think it is worth snagging for the build?

Yea Seasonic is kickass!

1 x Main connector (20+4 Pin)
1 x 4-Pin ATX 12V
2 x 8-Pin EPS 12V
8 x Peripheral
8 x SATA
2 x Floppy
4 x PCI-E

Your all good to go!

CCsaint10

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2012, 08:08:20 am »

Well shit. Missed that power supply deal before i could buy it. :( Anyone else have any recent coupon codes or discounts for any parts I am looking at? That coupon page above is expired now :(
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 08:12:54 am by CCsaint10 »

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2012, 09:41:30 pm »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

Fully modular, +12V@54A, 80 PLUS GOLD Certified

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2012, 10:07:26 pm »

Don't skimp on a power supply. Size or quality. $2k machine can be fried in weeks. Gold cert. is also really good. Can go little smaller size with a good cert. But I always like to over build, so a quality 850/750 would be good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139011

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 10:11:20 pm by major »
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Kratos

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2012, 10:15:16 pm »

Don't skimp on a power supply. Size or quality. $2k machine can be fried in weeks. Gold cert. is also really good. Can go little smaller size with a good cert. But I always like to over build, so a quality 850/750 would be good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139011

Seasonic kicks corsairs ass! HAHHAHA

no but seriously like major said,  a better quality power supply is required.. no one should buy a cheap ass dynex power supply.

Seasonic is quality stuff. Its like the mercede benz of power supplies. Excellent build quality.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up