GoldenEye: Source Forums

• October 01, 2024, 04:34:16 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I want to make mods for the Source and GoldSrc Engine. Where do I start?  (Read 7524 times)

Conmore

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • Conmore has no influence.

I have no Experience whatsoever. However I know I can program, as I have done very little C++ programming in the past, and enjoyed it. The problem for me is art. I have no artistic talent. At all. I can get a team online of course, but I have a friend who can model very well. I can always get help with textures from someone online. That's all I need for what I want to start with.

What I want my first mod to have is Quake III: Arena weapons and sounds. Not even a mod really. Just a testing room with random dummies that I can test weapons and sounds on. And after that, I want to make the game feel like Quake 3 by modifying gravity and speed, I guess. Then move on to characters and animations, then maps.

I know this will look stupid and unprofessional to REAL modders. But hey, that's what I am. Thanks for the help, and feel free to reminde of things I missed. Please keep note of the fact that I probably won't go very far with the mod, but who knows? Also tell me challenges and obstacles I will run into. (Probably too many)

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage

Why don't you play Quake3 in the first place?
Or why don't you base your mod on Q3A?

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.

Or Open Arena, if you don't own a copy.
I mean there's really no reason to do Quake III on Gold Source or Source, if you can have the real deal other than getting some modding knowledge. But then again I wouldn't mod on Gold Source (because the engine is really dated, so you've got to put in a lot of unnecessary effort to make something really cool) , although there are mods, that look pretty good for Gold Source. (http://www.moddb.com/mods/naruto-naiteki-kensei , http://www.moddb.com/mods/cry-of-fear)
Therefore, I suggest you start either on Source or UE. (though I, myself, have no experience in modding either, but it just seems the more sensible thing to do)

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage

If you have only a little experience in programming, maybe you should try working with UnrealScript.
I'm not a programmer but AFAIK programming for a engine like source is a task for advanced and professional programmers.

Conmore

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • Conmore has no influence.

If you have only a little experience in programming, maybe you should try working with UnrealScript.
I'm not a programmer but AFAIK programming for a engine like source is a task for advanced and professional programmers.
Thanks, I knew it would sound out of reach, and I guess it is. And the reason I wanted to do Quake 3 is for 3 reasons: It's never been done before, I can actually know what I'm doing when it comes to creativity, and I think it's not just me who would rather spend $5 rather than 15. And like I said, thats just to see if I can do anything. But about what you said, I can definitely try that, and see how it goes, thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up