GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 28, 2024, 11:08:31 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Something I noticed about controller movement on the n64  (Read 3118 times)

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
Something I noticed about controller movement on the n64
« on: December 13, 2011, 05:13:19 pm »

I know you guys don't want the Perfect Dark Source movement of the guns.

However, in GE007 on the n64, even when not aiming, the weapon that is held will bend slightly in the same direction that the player is turning. This effect can best be seen when holding an RCP90, holding down Z while turning and letting go of the joystick while still shooting. (look at the bullet decals on the wall)

This will add another bit difference between the average PC pixel-shooter and GE:S. I don't think that limiting turn speed is a good idea, though.

I am also still a proponent for rail-shooter-aiming whilst holding down Shift.

Please reconsidder as this really is a GE007 gameplay mechanic (even though we're not using controllers).

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
Re: Something I noticed about controller movement on the n64
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 06:26:01 pm »

The problem with implementing this lies in the fact that as you said you don't think limiting turn speed is a good idea. This means twitch movements and quick sharp turns would have to be accounted for in whichever way this would be implemented, and most probably animated.

At the moment we use the standard HL2 arm rig and the HL2 method of the arm movements being slightly delayed behind the player movement which gives a more natural appearance of sway rather than an absolutely fixed arm position.

This is definitely something that could be looked at in the future though, I don't think it's a bad idea and it's certainly not impossible to implement.

As for rail-shooter style aiming, that's a whole other kettle of fish. Probably 90% hinderence, 10% nostalgic.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 06:28:47 pm by Mangley »
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 10:37:57 pm »

The problem with implementing this lies in the fact that as you said you don't think limiting turn speed is a good idea. This means twitch movements and quick sharp turns would have to be accounted for in whichever way this would be implemented, and most probably animated.
In GE007, it seems as if the camera follows the weapon's turning (instead of the other way around) as if the camera just lags a little behind the player model. If you set that lag, it doesn't matter how fast you're turning with the mouse; the lag stays the same and the turns speed isn't limited:
Code: [Select]
maximumCamAngleRelativeToGun == x;    /* The faster the turn, the sooner the camera gets dragged to this max angle in time */
cameraCatchupDistancePerTime == y;    /* For when the player turning doesn't cause the angle to equal maximumCamAngleRelativeToGun */
someCleverCode(x, y);
// Profit!

This is definitely something that could be looked at in the future though, I don't think it's a bad idea and it's certainly not impossible to implement.
Thanks for your considderation! :D

As for rail-shooter style aiming, that's a whole other kettle of fish. Probably 90% hinderence, 10% nostalgic.
Isn't hand-hold aiming supposed to be a trade-off? (limiting movement whilst increasing acuracy (for some))
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 10:44:52 pm by V!NCENT »

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 11:20:11 pm »

I made a mistake; code isn't complete:
When there is no more turn input (from the mouse or gamepad), the player position and camera catchup is reversed:
The camera stops and the player turns to back to the camera position with the catchup speed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up