GoldenEye: Source Forums

• October 19, 2024, 10:16:15 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Game Mode Ideas  (Read 7785 times)

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
New Game Mode Ideas
« on: October 14, 2011, 01:08:18 pm »

came up with some ideas for Gamemodes:

For Your Eyes Only

Gameplay Description:
One Player is selected to be a hunter while another player is set to be the target…the hunter has a special radar that can identify that player…the target and the hunter is unknown to the other players but the prey has full body armor when the prey gets close to the hunter the radar is jammed and if the prey is killed by a player that isn’t the hunter they will become the prey. The game ends when either the hunter or the preys are killed.

Die another Day
Gameplay Description:
All Players have been infected by a virus which slowly drains their health. There in the middle of the map lies the cure (briefcase) players must hold onto the cure till they are 100% healthy when the players who have the cure slowly regenerate their health if they get shot. if a player dies they still have the percentage of cure but will slowly begin to loose health (players can die and respawn but if they don’t get the cure till the end they will lose)

The World is not enough

Gameplay Description:
King of The Hill Goldeneye Source Style basically with Team and Free For All each player must capture a green area for 60 seconds than move to the next spawn area to score the player who scores the most captures within the time limit wins

Property of a Lady

Gameplay Description:
In This Mode 1 Player plays a female character against a team of other players when she eliminates a player that person switches to her team and must hunt, eliminate and collect the other players. The last few players that haven’t been killed by the lady win the round.
(It’s based on Halo 3’s Game mode Zombie Infection)

Moonraker

Gameplay Description:
Deathmatch with Moonraker lasers and grenade launchers with Low Gravity

Tomorrow Never Dies
Gameplay Description:
See Launch Code.

Goldfinger

Gameplay Description:
Collect as many gold bars as you can (from Dead Players or from picking them up) before time runs out. There is a twist each gold bar reduces your speed and leaves you vulnerable to other players.

Rick Astley

• Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
Re: New Game Mode Ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 11:51:03 am »

i also came up with some Cooperative Challenges (a test for Co-Op Single Player using Multiplayer as a basis):

Challenge #1: Facility

The Mi6 Team (in this challenge- Bond and Treveylan) must accomplish three objectives in the map):

1. Gain Acess To The Boiler Room
2. Download Data from a terminal
2. Plant Explosive Charges on The Tanks

While the Janus Team (3 or more players) have one objective is to stop them at all cost (they have low health but can respawn and plan traps while the MI6 Team cant if Bond or Treveylan die than either player must go on without them unless they both die and then when the round ends and then they will swap- its like Left4Dead's Versues Mode vs Perfect Dark's Counter-Ops Mode if that makes sense)

The Cy

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 05:14:04 pm »

I like that goldfinger idea. in the beginning of a match several goldbars are placed in the maps, indicated by the radar. the player has to catch as many goldbars he could to earn points. when someone catch a goldbar, his dot on the radar turns golden. when you shoot someone with a goldbar he would lose his goldbar and also some of his points. it´s simple and effective. sounds a bit like the living daylights, but without the stupid running away from everyone and everything. the golden boys have to kill each other in order to get more precious goldbars. a player always listens to his primitive instincts. when you see the goldbars in the map, you can´t resist. you want them  ;D
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 05:50:59 pm by The Cy »
finished: ge_funhouse v4 Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?urjfs3ra2zdslcz

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 05:58:30 pm »

Goldfinger is already taken by VC with much more detail : http://forums.goldeneyesource.net/index.php/topic,4619.0.html

In fact, most of these game modes are already done by third parties. Assassin by yeyinde, koth by badplayer, etc.

The Cy

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 06:27:09 pm »

Goldfinger is already taken by VC with much more detail : http://forums.goldeneyesource.net/index.php/topic,4619.0.html

In fact, most of these game modes are already done by third parties. Assassin by yeyinde, koth by badplayer, etc.

yeah I see, though the thread turned into a complicated discussion about earning the golden gun after catching a goldbar and getting more ammunition (gold) in order to shoot bullets.  what happened with that concept/draft? I really like it. but I also say: keep it simple. no golden gun and no golden bullets. and for god's sake no goldbar as a weapon. it depresses me when I try to kill someone with a flag in living daylights. I like this idea just having the goldbars lying around in the map and fight for it.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 08:13:50 pm by The Cy »
finished: ge_funhouse v4 Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?urjfs3ra2zdslcz

Rick Astley

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 08:50:02 pm »

wow i didnt know that :(  still i guess they could be made offical

what about the cooperative challenges?

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 12:20:41 am »

Whilst some of these may be good ideas, for official modes there is always a simple equation that needs to be taken into account which is Playerbase divided by Number of game modes.

If you oversaturate and give too many options people will be too divided. This is bad for business. At the end of the day it is better to have a smaller, concise set of different modes to choose from rather than every possible different kind of mode imaginable.

Also for every new game mode added you detract gameplay further and further away from the de facto standard Deathmatch which is overall what people tend to prefer.

One more thing, you should avoid naming game modes after bond movies because you end up with a title that fails to describe anything about the mode. It has to be relevant and modes shouldn't be constructed around a movie title. Licence To Kill works, Man With The Golden Gun works, Live And Let Die works, Living Daylights doesn't work at all and neither does On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

This is exactly why we're sticking with Capture The Key, Gun Game. and most probably sticking with 'Launch Code' for KM's up and coming game mode.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 04:39:59 am »

Living Daylights is Rareware's choice, don't be hatin'.
OHMSS I selected because the scenario is meant to be like a training mission for new agents.  Your goal is weapon proficiency and survival, not simply fragging.  Also, the title is really hard to apply to any scenario, so I jumped on the chance to use it up now. :D

Goldfinger scenario: It is still on the books, but for reasons aforementioned, I put it on the backest burner.  It feels like a good point-release addition.  Something to sweeten a future update, rather than something that "needs to be done" now.  I think it's more important that we tighten up the scenarios we already have before adding more, since new players already suffer from variety overdose when they try the game for the first time and are stuck between Live and Let Die, a bullshit lowgrav Cradle rocket arena, and a bunch of servers modded to show one player when there are none.

Your Die Another Day is begging for a clusterfuck.

You can't make a scenario with only one key item unless the key item is dangerous.  That's why Golden Gun works, but Living Daylights quickly adds flags to the field when player count increases.  If there is one "cure" item, then everyone is going to swarm it and it's a lagged-out brawl in the one room.  Respawning just means jogging to the orgy, hoping you get there before everyone else has cum to the brink of exhaustion.  If you have it, all you can do is run away, really.

Attaning the objective should be when the player wins.

Golden Gun is not the objective, it's a tool that helps you pursue the goal.  You get the Golden Gun to have an edge (one-hit kills) in the deathmatch environment.

You have holding the cure-case to be the win condition, but once you get it, you're just waiting on a clock to go "ding."  If players can die and respawn, then the draining-health thing isn't important at all since you just suicide and get the health back.  If "diseasedness" is its own counter (like you propose for cure) then heath is just a "go respawn somewhere else" trigger.

It also favors the first long carry.  Let's say everyone starts at 0% diseasedness and after a quarrel, everyone is at about 40% after brief cure carries and one guy makes off with it and gets cured back down to 20%.  Now, he doesn't even need to carry it much.  All he needs to do is camp the case after it drops since, as long as no one person holds it long enough to get 20% cure points, they'll all drop like cultists in a couple minutes and he'll win by attrition at 80% diseasedness.  I added a lot of alternative scoring to Living Daylights because if it was time-held-only, one good run would lock out some/all other players even though there was still a few minutes left on the round clock.

Okay, how can we make this work, O great and mighty VC?

Make it dangerous.

I have an idea.  Mind if I steal your inspiration and turn it into something huge like I did when Xanatos suggested we do something around Baron Samedi and the Golden Gun?
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Rick Astley

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 09:59:30 am »

you got some very good points there VC...

sure i'll give you the idea :)

just if it becomes offical...a little mention of me would be nice  ;D

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 09:37:41 pm »

Respawning just means jogging to the orgy, hoping you get there before everyone else has cum to the brink of exhaustion.  If you have it, all you can do is run away, really.

L. M. F. A. O.

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;
Pages: [1]   Go Up