GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 27, 2024, 02:40:19 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about GoldenEye Source and a Source Engine game purchase on Steam  (Read 4658 times)

EnglandIsNotEnough99

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • EnglandIsNotEnough99 has no influence.

Hi everyone, I just have a quick question about GoldenEye Source. I am new to PC gaming and I just recently downloaded TF2 off of Steam (the free to play version), and I was just wondering if anyone knows if TF2 would meet the specified requirements in order to have GoldenEye Source run on my PC? I looked at the list of Source Engine powered games from the GoldenEye Source ModDB page which linked me to Steam showing the different Source Engine games on Steam that work. TF2 wasn't on the list for some reason but I noticed that The Orange Box was one of those game which includes TF2. If that game is compatible and works with the mod, would the stand-alone copy of TF2 work as well? And one last thing, do I need a Source SDK to run the game on my PC as well?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 08:03:09 pm by EnglandIsNotEnough99 »

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
Re: Question about GoldenEye Source and a Source Engine game purchase on Steam
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 08:23:14 pm »

If you can run TF2, you can run GES. However, I am pretty sure that you need to purchase a copy of a game to play GES. The free to play TF2 I don't believe will work...

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 08:44:30 pm »

It will work. You no longer need to buy a game to get access to the SDK as of a few months ago.

We need to update our wiki.

In your Steam library > tools tab you should see Source SDK Base 2007. You just need to install that.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

EnglandIsNotEnough99

• Agent
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 09:05:01 pm »

Are you absolutely sure that it will work with the free to play standalone copy of TF2 and a copy of the Source SDK? I don't really want to try it out unless I am guaranteed that this will not mess up after loading on my computer. If the game does require an actual purchased game I will buy one compatible. Does Half Life 2 Deathmatch require the original Half Life 2 game to play? If it doesn't I'd be willing to buy that off of Steam to allow me to download GoldenEye Source.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 09:21:06 pm »

Nothing will mess up :) Valve released the SDK for free shortly after they released TF2 for free... Try it out and if there's any trouble just holler.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

EnglandIsNotEnough99

• Agent
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 09:57:22 pm »

Alright, will do. Thanks so much for the help  :)

EnglandIsNotEnough99

• Agent
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 11:09:07 pm »

Hey there, I've got a question already for ya  :P I just downloaded the Source SDK Base 2007 on Steam and it automatically downloaded Source SDK Base 2006 (or maybe I accidentally clicked it, I dunno), I decided to look at the other tools and I noticed that they had the original Source SDK on there and a Source Multiplayer Dedicated Server tool on Steam. Do you recommend that I download those or just use what I have downloaded already?

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 01:05:55 am »

You don't need the tools unless you want to make your own mod. Likewise, you don't need the dedicated server unless you are going to host your own server (dedicated).

You are good to go with what you downloaded. Just double click GoldenEye: Source (v4.1) in the games menu to play.
Pages: [1]   Go Up