GoldenEye: Source Forums

• October 06, 2024, 08:36:20 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steam support for GE:S  (Read 7059 times)

Matteobin

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Matteobin has no influence.
Steam support for GE:S
« on: July 23, 2011, 01:58:55 pm »

Recently on Steam there are more free to play games than ever and I was thinking if GoldenEye: Source could be included as a Source SDK mod...

The question is very easy: can a free game like this appear in the Steam game list without paying any money to the Valve corporation?

Because if there weren't any kind of problems (I'm talking about James Bond rights too) I think it could be a nice way to make the game better known and maybe to have more players.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 02:00:29 pm by Matteobin007 »

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
Re: Steam support for GE:S
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 02:25:22 pm »

Can of course, if the guys at Valve like the mod. But as you recognized correctly, this is highly unlikely to happen with GE: S,
because of those rights and now with these CoD 'GoldenEye' games out in the open it's even more unlikely than it was before.
Pirates Viking and Knights II is listed as well in Free Mods, but there won't be any special advertisement beyond that. And if I remember correctly, even Desura wouldn't distribute GE: S.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 02:29:23 pm by coolDisguise »

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 02:28:48 pm »

Quote from: Matteobin007
The question is very easy: can a free game like this appear in the Steam game list without paying any money to the Valve corporation?

Yes, but not ours.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 06:53:10 pm by Mangley »
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 03:22:16 pm »

Also, I think someone from the team talked to some Valve guys at GDC once (Lodle?) and none of them had ever heard of the mod (usually Valve is pretty aware of most of the major Source mods).
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 05:15:35 pm »

even Desura wouldn't distribute GE: S.
Fuck Desura.  Traitors are supposed to be executed.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 04:28:17 am »

Even if that is true about some Valve employees not knowing about GES (I don't buy it), for sure the department dealing in approving source mods for steamworks would be aware of us and have a standing no lined up for any submission. Hence we never even tried.

We are the definition of a non-starter with any companies' legal dept. regarding any support in public.

As much as it is annoying, even if 10,000 fans signed a petition it would make no effect any fan support lobbying etc. It wouldn't do anything to prove a playerbase either. We simply cannot be supported there or Desura. We do have a Desura page it basically says like any mod not supported - how it's not available (I think)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 04:33:10 am by Wake[of]theBunT »

Matteobin

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Matteobin has no influence.
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 09:18:42 am »

Ok, got it. 8)

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 02:28:17 am »

Fuck Desura.  Traitors are supposed to be executed.

To understand the anger here..  you have to note that Desura was built for GES and then we got rejected from it :/
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee
Pages: [1]   Go Up