GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 25, 2024, 05:55:49 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Call me crazy...  (Read 13052 times)

graz11

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • graz11 has no influence.
Call me crazy...
« on: April 12, 2011, 05:53:15 pm »

but me and everyone of my buddies who were hardcore 1.1h fans can't really get into the newest versions (3.0- present)

Now, I'm not bashing the newest versions in the least bit. it looks great and I know many of you worked many hours on it.

my question is this...
are there any 1.1h server still up, if not is it still possible to load a server on my computer at home?

thanks

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
Re: Call me crazy...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 07:01:29 pm »

No servers, but there's nothing stopping you from hosting.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 07:48:28 pm »

I must admit, I've seen videos of the early days of Goldeneye Source and the gameplay looked less complicated and easier to pick up and play, but I wouldn't really know for sure cos I only found out about this mod a couple of years ago.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 11:56:57 pm »

It was less complicated and easier to pickup and play.

It had HL2DM health, five weapons, and what, four maps?
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 01:17:09 am »

I dunno about all you but deathmatch from 1.1h is the same as deathmatch in v4.1 :-/ nothing complicated about that

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 01:22:02 am »

I dunno about all you but deathmatch from 1.1h is the same as deathmatch in v4.1 :-/ nothing complicated about that

Well no, in 1.1h the only weapon able to kill people is massive spammage of the ZMG with a 3 foot lead due to all the latency and hitreg issues, with all other weapons being unbalanced and the consistency throughout being uneven.

The awefulness of the Beta 1.x era is what inspired me to begin learning how to develop for Source and eventually join the team after suffering through 2 years of playing it, I don't really understand why anyone would want to go with such an old version when v4.1 is practically at commercial level...
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 01:49:59 am »

For nostalgilols.
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 12:13:15 am »

Gabbo

• Cate Archer's secret lover
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 24
  • Gabbo might someday be someone...Gabbo might someday be someone...Gabbo might someday be someone...Gabbo might someday be someone...
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 01:11:32 am »

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 05:17:32 am »

I do call you crazy. Why have old nostalgia when you can create NEW nostalgia NOW! Then you'll be looking back on this commercial level build in 3 years time with fond memories....

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 12:19:27 pm »

Yeah, I don't believe for a second the mod could have taken any steps backwards in terms of mechanics and gameplay, and I'd bet that if anyone were to have a play with 1.1 now they would probably be surprised at how bad it was, you always remember things being better than they actually were. As for my last comment, I stand by that, but I believe it was largely due to the fact that Goldeneye Source was relatively new to everybody whereas now we have superior players that have been following the mod for the last 5 years, it takes a lot of patience and practice to be able to compete.

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 07:19:07 am »

Does anyone have the  1.1 files? and are they compatable with V4.1?

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 07:55:21 am »

Really nothing is compatible between B1 and 4.1. Different engine, even maps wont work, as weapon spawn system was changed.

All versions of GE:S links are on the wiki.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 11:38:26 am »

Really nothing is compatible between B1 and 4.1. Different engine, even maps wont work, as weapon spawn system was changed.
Liarrr!!! ;)

The bsp files are still compatible and will load.
However, you may run into several issues (I), they all got a reason (R) but there's also a solution (S) for every single one.

I: models won't load due version number incompatibility.
R: valve didn't change much on the mdl's they only changed the version number and added jigglebones support.
S1: open the .mdl with a Hex editor, the first 5 characters should be IDST,
change the , to a 0 so you get IDST0 and save the file.
now it will load the prop.
OR
S2: simply include all the ep1 props into the bsp using PakRat.
The engine will skip the version check for every prop included in the bsp and since you'd have to add them to the map anyway, you should choose this method.
Also, there are many props which were updated since beta 1, by including props and textures into the bsp you'll make sure that the original prop and texture will be used and nothing will be overwritten.

I: Ladders are malfunctioning, certain gamemodes won't load, issues with weapon- and ammospawns.
R: Beta 1 - 1.1h used a different ladder style then alpha, beta 3 - 4 and v4.1 now. Also there have been many changes and additions to the entities, in order to support all the new gamemodes and features.
S: allthough in general i don't encourage decompiling, in this case it's the best and fastest way.
open the decompiled map with the v4.1 hammer setup.
update the entities to v4.1 standart (add info_player_mi6, info_player_janus, edit the weapon and ammo spawns and configure the weapon slot parameter, add all required entities for HL2 style ladders and make sure these entities don't touch any solids, add tokenspawn entities for gamemodes such as CtK).
Compile the map under a name which differes from the original since we'll need the original map for the next step. A fast compile without HDR will be enough.
Now open both maps with a entity editing program such as EntEd. Find all the altered and added entities in the compiled version (disabling/deleting all entities which remain unchanged will speed up this process a lot).  Copy the new ones to the original map and replace the old weapon and ammo spawns with the new ones too. Save the original map and do a testrun of it in v4.1

A few more usefull hints:
- If you need to rename the map (e.g. if there's allready a new version of it in v4.1), make sure to run the buildcubemaps command to get reflections working again.
You might also need to fix the soundscape and add a levelmusic_mapname.txt to your map.
- adding, deleting, replacing entities won't change the CRC of a map, including content such as props, textures or even the levelmusic script will change CRC and filesize.
- you might need to fix up paths for some txt files such as levelmusic or soundscape when including them into the bsp, since they need relative paths but somehow (bug?) will be added with absolute paths.

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 02:15:43 pm »

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up