GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 28, 2024, 11:19:55 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPv4 address exhaustion  (Read 6143 times)

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
IPv4 address exhaustion
« on: February 04, 2011, 03:07:46 am »

Oh shit, we have run out of IPV4's. Here I mark the end of the internet guys. So if your parents don't have internet at your house and they are willing to purchase an internet package, I'm afraid their fucked, because there will be no more ip addresses to give out ;D ;D ;D. jk

When egypt shut down their internet, we should've taken all of their available ip addresses  ;D

Ipv6 is going to take a long time to develop and be stable. My thoughts were ok, if IPv4 had 4 billion ips addresses and we almost were running out of addresses, why couldnt they just develop ipv6 a few years back? Didn't they think about the future? I mean were they smoking crack up their asses?

Atleast they should have worked on it back then and by now it could have been done as alpha/beta stage.

What are your thoughts?

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking/the-internet-8217s-ipv4-gas-tank-is-running-on-empty/639

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: IPv4 address exhaustion
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 03:23:01 am »

IPv6 has been in development since 1996.

The problem is it is completely incompatible with IPv4, much the same way 64bit windows is incompatible with 32-bit drivers. OK, so not the exact same, but you get my point.

So why can I run 32-bit apps in 64-bit windows? Because WOW (Windows on Windows) encapsulates the program in a 64-bit emulator for efficient machine language translation from 32-bit to 64-bit. However, this means that any 1 32-bit program on Windows x64 cannot use more than 3GB of ram (much like how the 32-bit IPv4 cannot be more than 4 Billion addresses).

Anyway, so the internet is tricky, and we have been using IPv6 for YEARS. You just aren't aware of it, nor care. Most point-to-point transmissions (think ISP to ISP) are encapsulating IPv4 packets into IPv6 packets. Thus the problem is not as terrible as you think.

The big problem is that there is very limited activation of door-to-door IPv6 transport going on, even though anyone with a computer made after 2000 has the capability to do it. So that's where national IPv6 day comes in... to weed out the bastards who are not updating their computers...

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 06:56:34 pm »

* VC knows nothing on this topic.

Why isn't the encapsulation as simple as 127.0.0.0.old.ipv4.address.digits for old shit until it can be phased out?
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Kinky

• Level Designer / Environment Artist
  • Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Kinky has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 07:37:33 pm »

*Also knows nothing

Because lots of ISPs dont support IPV6? Im guessing loads of routers dont either?

Currently in Progress - ge_jungle

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 07:47:47 pm »

Millenium bug v2.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer
Pages: [1]   Go Up