GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 28, 2024, 11:19:02 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canada needs to grow some balls  (Read 6531 times)

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Canada needs to grow some balls
« on: February 04, 2011, 12:57:03 pm »

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/02/metered-internet-in-canada-isnt-quite-dead.ars

Seriously, you guys need to riot just like in Egypt. This is horse shit. Your government is clearly in bed with the telcos and no one is doing anything about it (it seems).

I especially liked the part when he said:

Companies like Netflix are "putting a great stress on the Internet and there's no incentive for companies to invest in maintaining the Internet." Usage-based billing would encourage people to adopt more bandwidth-efficient technologies (or to forgo things like Internet video altogether, which would be terrific for cable operators).

Without a single shred of figures backing that claim up. Every I read indicates that usage vs capacity is no where near exhausted, and the ridiculous caps imposed by the Canadian Telcos would make that delta even larger.

And wtf is "more" bandwidth efficient technology? Most of the internet is GZIP'd already before it's transmitted and YouTube is about as low bandwidth as streaming video gets...

jjmusicnotes

Re: Canada needs to grow some balls
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 01:08:44 pm »

They'd never riot though, at most, they'd get together and submit a well-written, polite, and reasonable formal complaint. :P

If the government tried to charge me for internet, I think I'd flip something over.

Kinky

• Level Designer / Environment Artist
  • Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Kinky has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 01:33:22 pm »

They can go to see the Prime Minister. Which way is it? Follow the road! Which road? Why theres only one road in Canada! The only road in Canada! Follow the only road.... etc etc

Currently in Progress - ge_jungle

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 02:37:33 pm »

Always with the violence...
But in seriousness I agree, it's all bullshit.

Never underestimate the power of carefully worded nonsense. I'm sure there's a lot of people who would listen to a quote like the one in the OP...
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 05:23:01 pm »

Forgo internet video altogether??? WHAT?? waaahhhh?/?/?/??/???/????

So he is suggesting Canadians pay for internet but NOT use it for video, instead spending another 60$ on a cable plan that would enable them to watch all their shows they would have online?...oh but when the stations run them, and the only way out of that? TIVO.

This suggestion is starting to get expensive.....doesn't sound like conglomerates have gotten to these politicians at all...

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 05:54:02 pm »

The real problem is even with this ruling being put off at the moment my ISP (SHAW Cable) can still put forth the usage billing as they are planning.  Nothing can stop them.

Here are the caps I have to put up with

Before -> Current                                       Speeds,   Down/Up (no change)   
Lite 13GB -> 15GB ($2/GB overages)               1Mb/256k
High Speed 75GB ->60GB ($2/GB overages)      7.5Mb/512k
Xtreme 125GB -> 100GB ($1/GB overages)       15Mb/1Mb
Warp 250GB -> 175GB ($1/GB overages)          50Mb/3Mb
Nitro 500GB -> 350GB ($1/GB overages)          100Mb/5Mb

The only good news is that I have friends inside my ISP...

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/CRTC-Boss-Rather-Annoyed-Having-To-Defend-Himself-To-You-112578

« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 06:09:45 pm by Enzo.Matrix »
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 06:27:47 pm »

There's an online petition against that, Almost 500k signatures, But I don't think that'll do much. People's mad, A lot.

Although we are much more of a pacific country, So we let ourselves get controlled and don't do shit. I agree we should do something about it, But a riot? Seems like that's the only way the citizens can be heard, And no one is willing to do it, Except if an 'The Exploited' show gets cancelled.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 07:46:32 pm »

Remind me at what point in history did the common majority forget that governments are there to serve the people and not the other way around?
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

jjmusicnotes

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 12:48:04 am »

Remind me at what point in history did the common majority forget that governments are there to serve the people and not the other way around?

It happened when people stopped paying attention by watching tv.  Now it's when we're doodling with our fancy phones.
Pages: [1]   Go Up