GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 01:31:30 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: ge_warehouse  (Read 21326 times)

Zippy

• Magic Member
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Zippy has no influence.
ge_warehouse
« on: February 02, 2011, 11:40:27 am »

Warehouse

The sole purpose of this map existing was so I could get used to the ways of Hammer. Going to Hammer from over 4 years of UnrealED isn't the greatest feeling. This was supposed to be a Garry's Mod Deathrun map at first, but then I decided that GE:S > DR. I was unhappy with my methods of design, and I tried to hone down those skills as I was making this map. Regardless, some may enjoy this map. So why not?

Also, there's a bit more to this map than what you see in the image below. If enough game breaking bugs are found, I might release a V2 of this map.

Screenshots

Mirrors

Mirror 1
Mirror 2
Mirror 3
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 11:44:28 am by major »

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
Re: ge_warehouse
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 04:42:37 pm »

Pics seem appealing, downloading :P

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 05:34:54 pm »

The map is much bigger then i thought and you made a lot of improvements since the last version i saw.
I cannot say much about the playability because i just ran arround in it alone.

Some things which could be optimized:
- weapons and ammo placement
- the textures in the toilett area are somewhat low res, better use another texture with higher resolution
- some of the places are to tight or filled up with props you can get caught on.
- some architecture makes no sense or is at least very impractical
e.g. the loading bays for the trucks are very tight and don't have a ramp, only stairs (imagine unloading/loading heavy crates)
- the bloom on lights is much to intense
- glass is penetratable by every weapon but won't break, you should either have it breaking or only penetratable by certain weapons. (CMAG, RCP90, AR33...).
- try to make the locations more distinguishable e.g. by altering the light mood of the area or having more unique architecture.
- since you're using a lot of props and stuff you should optimize your map.
- place area portals, use hint/skip and func_detail to optimize vis leafs.

...should be enough for now.

Zippy

• Magic Member
  • Secret Agent
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 08:35:57 am »

I agree with everything you said and would fix all that easily. Although naming the map "ge_warehouse_v2" may look very bad.

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 09:15:10 am »

Here is a link that won't make you wait 30 seconds ;) : http://wcservers.net/Goldeneye/ge_warehouse.rar

Gonna try it out now.

Edit:

If it wasn't 2AM I'd do a full write up, but I quickly drew some ideas I saw while running around... Yeah these are a little major changes, but you can see if you like any of the ideas.

Good luck deciphering my mind in drawing form:

http://wcservers.net/images/hl2%202011-02-03%2001-26-01-05.png
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 10:01:35 am by major »
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Zippy

• Magic Member
  • Secret Agent
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 05:43:52 am »

If I optimize this map more, will it be good enough to go on the wiki or something?

If the answer is yes, the map will be renamed to ge_<something else> after editing. I'm only asking because the map has a "Third Party Maps" section.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 07:11:19 am by Zippy »

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 10:11:44 am »

Ofc. third party maps will be listed in this section on the wiki, at least if the one responsible for updating the wiki had the time to add them.
Not every entry in the user created section might get added though, but the maps which can be found on variouse servers will get added for sure.
Your best bet is to make the map nice and playable so ppl wanna play it on the servers.

It's also not a bad idea to get some relyable ppl to test your map with you and give you direct feedback.

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 03:24:59 am »

I agree with everything you said and would fix all that easily. Although naming the map "ge_warehouse_v2" may look very bad.

Are you kidding me? That is a pretty crappy attitude man. If anything, it shows you are dedicated to taking feedback and making the map better. I would much rather play a map that says "v2" than a glitch single release map. In fact, I will then be checking and asking "Hey, I wonder if there is a v3????? to be EVEN better." Please, rethink what you said and reconsider. I would like to see this map be super sexy and awesome, so please update it.

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

Zippy

• Magic Member
  • Secret Agent
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 06:11:14 pm »

Are you kidding me? That is a pretty crappy attitude man.
What does attitude have to do with that? I just thought my map name would look bad being in a list of other maps with  no "v#" as their suffix.

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 06:23:48 pm »

IMO having a version number at the end of a third party map is better than not having one. People who join a server with the latest file on it will have a conflicting error since their file does not match.

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 06:43:29 pm »

Hey,

With the first image (top-left) why do you have the hand rails there? There is no point since they are not protecting you from falling. I would add yellow border stripe decals, instead of the hand rails indicating the storage area apart from walking space.

Secondly, the bloom is very high overall.

Other than that (from what I see), Not bad. Maybe a little over use of the black cables? I would change the size of the cables to "0.5"
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 06:45:39 pm by Jeron [SharpSh00tah] »

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

Zippy

• Magic Member
  • Secret Agent
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 11:32:29 pm »

Warehouse: Version 2

Changes:
  • No more overly bright HDR
  • Removed a few props to give more running room.
  • Added more weapon and ammo spots.
  • The walls in the bathroom have better looking textures.
  • Immense optimization added
    • The map is no longer a bunch of func_details enclosed in a hollow brush.
    • There should be absolutely 0 leaks now.
    • Many Hint & Skip brushes were placed so unseen rooms don't get rendered like before.
    • Seriously, use "mat_wireframe 1" - You will see the improvement
  • Removed the loud annoying engine sound near one of the trucks.
  • Reduced the filesize a bit.
Mirror 1
Mirror 2
Mirror 3
Mirror 4

I know this map isn't 100% fixed according to GE:S standards, but I'm gonna focus on ge_tunnel now. I'm 4% finished with that map and it's already better than warehouse_v2.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 02:02:10 am by Zippy »

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 03:10:43 am »

Awesome job zippy. I will check it out later and tell you how it goes. Thanks for making a version 2. :P

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 03:54:07 am »

I didn't even tried it yet, I've been following the thread ever since it was created but never took a look at it in-game.
I'll try it out soon.

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 05:42:02 pm »

I did a quick test through, and here are my thoughts.

1. Fan noise is overpowering in level. No noise from it is required.
2. Locker room should not have a dividing wall. Instead have a post, and have it be able to loop around.
3. No real way of telling what doors work and what don't. Use a broken sign or a do-not-enter spray.
4. The back room with the rock wall lacks flow and feels un-necessary.
5. Glass in the room with the sideways latter, broken console, and the number 4 should break easier to increase flow.
6. Lighting through out is too bland, making it hard to distinguish areas from each other.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up