GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 29, 2024, 05:29:33 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sparking conversation:  (Read 6814 times)

djzeratul

• 60% of the time, it works every time.
  • Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • djzeratul has no influence.
    • DivX.com
Sparking conversation:
« on: December 30, 2010, 07:51:57 pm »

What kinds of crazy stories do you have from your N64 days of playing Goldeneye?

I'll start: Goldeneye came out when I was in middle school, and we were a bunch of complete nerds, so my friends and I started a club where the main focus was to play Goldeneye. We called it the Communist Club (this didn't go over too well at school, when we were talking about it in front of teachers...) We thought of objectives to retain officer positions... President had to retain the top seat during a multiplayer tournament, VP had to get 50 or more headshots in Statue park after meeting Janus (the guards just keep rolling out after he disappears), etc etc.

My mom had a laminator and my dad had a lot of cardstock so we made club cards. If someone was found not carrying the club card when the president asked, they could challenge them to a multiplayer duel to strip them of their position.

Players could also stage a coup, and a successful coup (beating the president in a multiplayer duel to 20 kills by more than 5 kills) would become the new acting president until such time that the old president was able to retain a 10 kill lead over the newly empowered president, or a new candidate was able to beat them by the same points rule as before. This made it harder for an old president who was ousted to become president again... and kept their power in check. There were about 20 coups in the history of the club's existence... and the president was only ousted once. He was not able to regain presidency. I was VP for pretty much the entirety of the clubs existence.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: Sparking conversation:
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 09:05:49 pm »

I used to play GoldenEye with my friends from Noon to Noon (all nighter). We would mainly do MWGG and straight deathmatch. Of course there was some Perfect Dark, Wrestling, and Mario Kart thrown in the mix.

My favorite weaponset was definitely power weapons. I still feel like we don't capture that same RCP90 sound in GES that was so distinct in N64.

Bashe

• Uppercut, oh yeah
  • Retired Developer
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 73
  • Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!
    • GoldenEye: Source Homepage
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 10:23:36 pm »

I remember playing with my friends, my brother, and his friends all the time. It was usually me and my friends (the pipsqueak 5-7 year olds) vs. my brother and his friends (the high schoolers) we usually we got raped. We'd always to LTK though. Never knew why, I guess it was just easier.

There was one mode that was fun that we liked to call Tank Boy. They would set my handicap to +10 and my brother and a friend would set theirs to -10 and they would basically try to stop me. Their best bet was to destroy and hide the armor and get remote mines and make the now-legendary (between us anyway) "mine wiener" - a destructive stack of mines that could kill even the most handicapped player. It was always too much fun and many laughs were shared and still are whenever the topic is brought up.

I also remember a so-called "100 yard shot." One of my brother's friends killed my friends with the golden gun on Library (Stack?) by shooting him in like the very bottom of his foot from the highest point on the top level when my friend was close to one of the ramps that led up, two rooms over. Hysterical.

djzeratul

• Agent
    • DivX.com
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 10:36:16 pm »

Haha, mine wiener. We used to stack remote mines too. I kind of miss not being able to do that in GE:S.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 11:10:41 pm »

Haha, mine wiener. We used to stack remote mines too. I kind of miss not being able to do that in GE:S.

That's a good point, you could do that in Beta 1.x but you can't anymore...
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

TwiggyTwink

• Secret Agent
  • TwiggyTwink has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 11:11:03 pm »

I used to play GoldenEye with my friends from Noon to Noon (all nighter). We would mainly do MWGG and straight deathmatch. Of course there was some Perfect Dark, Wrestling, and Mario Kart thrown in the mix.

My favorite weaponset was definitely power weapons. I still feel like we don't capture that same RCP90 sound in GES that was so distinct in N64.

Absolutely!

WWF: Wrestlemania 2000 got me into wrestling as kid! WWF No Mercy is still in my holy trinity of gaming! Lita and the Hardy Boyz FTW!

Anyways, my crazy GoldenEye64 story was that all my friends asked me why I did I always play "the girl character"... I was always MayDay.

Everyone else chose the Helicopter Pilot, the Siberian Commando (the white camo dude), and Oddjob.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 11:15:30 pm by TwiggyTwink »

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 11:21:08 pm »

Absolutely!

WWF: Wrestlemania 2000 got me into wrestling as kid! WWF No Mercy is still in my holy trinity of gaming! Lita and the Hardy Boyz FTW!
Yeah, i'm pretty much godlike at WrestleMania 2k.

djzeratul

• Agent
    • DivX.com
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 11:57:54 pm »

My asian friend always called dibs on oddjob. He claimed the "ancestry" clause every time someone else wanted to play as Oddjob.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 12:51:46 am »

This was removed after we found severe physics issues with doing this, not to mention the stacks could get outrageously large if everyone in the server decided to be silly.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 01:27:54 am »

I built a mine rainbow over the big room in Control.  I passed the timeout limit, so the ass end was fading away as I kept it going.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."
Pages: [1]   Go Up