GoldenEye: Source Forums

• October 18, 2024, 12:30:49 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hard to kill people in GES  (Read 6062 times)

TLoV

Hard to kill people in GES
« on: November 11, 2010, 03:03:14 pm »

Just a few moments ago I stood in place shooting someone in the head and abdomen several times with two clips of PP7 rounds before they finally died. soon after that I shot two people directly with a rocket launcher. I had to shoot them with two rockets before they would actually die, while one grenade launcher round killed me instantly. I felt like there was something wrong with this game, but I didn't want to say anything about it until I was absolutely sure. Now I am. It takes me a considerable amount of time and ammo to kill one person, while it's quick and effortless for them to kill me off. Is it something I'm doing? Is something wrong on my end?

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
Re: Hard to kill people in GES
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 03:40:59 pm »

Best advise is to just keep playing.

This game has a minor learning curve. You really need to forget some of the things you are taught with other FPS.

Don't spam: Take slower more accurate shots. if you spam 20 shots as fast as you can, only like 10 of those might do damage. This is the Goldeneye invulnerability system.

Find a server with good ping: There might only be one server with people playing, but its in the UK or something. Join a server with best ping for you, and run around in it for a little while. People will join you, people are always looking for a better ping.

I would really give the game a good month of playing before giving up or anything. After you've logged in some good time, please come back and give us a updated report, we strive on reading the reviews of all: good or bad.

If your still not to impressed, then come back after our next release and try again. Every release gameplay and game mechanics are improved on; of course all based on user feedback.

See you ingame.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 03:43:21 pm by major »
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 04:03:03 pm »

Use shift to go into aim mode, you will get a crosshair and your weapon accuracy will be increased whilst your movement speed will be reduced.

Aim for the head, different parts of the body have different damage multipliers, the head is always the most lethal by far.

Use your radar. All the best players spend most of the game watching their radar, with it you can quickly form a strategy, see where your opponents are and where to expect them. Players who are oblivious to their radar will often find themselves running into ambushes or being chased down from behind.

Try to keep moving, new players often forget this and just stand still whilst trying to aim at people, it makes them a sitting duck to headshots from powerful weapons.

Keep these things in mind and you should do alright.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

TLoV

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 04:22:26 pm »

does the invulnerability system include explosives? Because you still haven't explained the rocket launcher problem.

I do use the cross hair to aim. I'm not really good at aiming without one.

And what exactly is ping, and how do I determine how good it is?

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 05:47:50 pm »

And what exactly is ping, and how do I determine how good it is?
Ping is a computer network administration utility used to test the reachability of a host on an Internet Protocol (IP) network and to measure the round-trip time for messages sent from the originating host to a destination computer.

I'd say the max ping I would want to have is 85, anymore and I'd switch servers.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 05:51:54 pm »

Explosions are very different to other games. There's no splash damage and explosions deal damage over time rather than all at once. If you're in or near the fireball you will be damaged. Explosions cause damage in waves, if you linger in an explosion you will be damaged more than if you quickly get away from it. Most explosions don't kill instantaneously unless you are right at the center of it and have no armor, so direct hits from rocket launchers and mines or grenades detonating right in your face will usually kill you very quickly.

Ping is in laymen's terms a measure of how good your connection to the server is and how 'delayed' your actions are on the server as well as how delayed events on the server are recieved by you. The lower your ping, the better your connection to the server is, generally speaking you want to play on servers with less than 100 ping for a good experience. Higher than 160 and the game becomes considerably less playable. It's the same in all internet games.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 06:43:35 pm »

Use your radar. All the best players spend most of the game watching their radar, with it you can quickly form a strategy, see where your opponents are and where to expect them. Players who are oblivious to their radar will often find themselves running into ambushes or being chased down from behind.

Try to keep moving, new players often forget this and just stand still whilst trying to aim at people, it makes them a sitting duck to headshots from powerful weapons.

Keep these things in mind and you should do alright.

QFT.
If you have a Phantom and it's about the best weapon in the loadout, you might stay still and shoot, but most of the times you're better of moving and dodging bullets. While your accuracy decreases, your chances of survival increase as well.

About the radar: it's mostly about knowing the map and simple mathematics. So basically while you're moving you're looking for a position where you can be seen by as few players as possible, which maximizes your chances of survival.
E.g.: there's a T-shaped hall (-> like in Caverns) and your standing at the bottom of the T, while you know there's a firefight going on from left and right. Just don't move out in the open, or you'll be fired at by both players. Wait until one is dead or comes to you - then he'll be the one sandwiched between two players.

I do use the cross hair to aim. I'm not really good at aiming without one.

Try to use your crosshair less often - it's good for long distance shots or shots with the golden gun, if you really need it because you can only hit a pixel or something. Instead try using the bullet tracers as a guideline (pick up an RCP 90 and you'll know what I mean). Play some rounds of LTK and you'll be improving, at first hitting "at least something" until you're good enough to give headshots with the golden gun while running around.

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 11:46:45 pm »

Ping = Latency, guess I should of said that instead. So on the server browser, look for a low latency.

Or just look at the server name and it sometimes says where the server is ran. Like Chicago, Dallas, UK, and so on.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Emilia

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 03:50:25 am »

In terms of ping, it means nothing. I am from Australia and the lack of Australian servers means I have to play on American servers. I get a ping of 300+ when I play and this does not stop me at all.

I have been playing for a while now and as everyone has said before me, GE:S is a very different style of FPS. Just keep playing and you will get there. If I can kick ass with 300 ping, you can do anything ;)
MaJoR: "This is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo getting to be awesome"
Pages: [1]   Go Up