GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 29, 2024, 10:37:44 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tournament Wanted  (Read 15151 times)

El Dudereno

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • El Dudereno is working their way up.El Dudereno is working their way up.El Dudereno is working their way up.
Re: Tournament Wanted
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 03:16:43 pm »

Damn...looks like I sparked some interest.  Live commentary would be awesome.  I'm just a player so I can't help work out the kinks.  Maybe it will have to wait til 4.1 for the team chat.  People keep talking about the hit registry too possibly getting fixed in 4.1 but I haven't decided yet if they are just whinning cuz their aim sucks.  Isn't lag the real reason for this anyways? 

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 03:49:11 pm »

As far as I understand it's like this:

- the hitboxes are smaller than usual for a Source game -> you're just hitting if you're really hitting and there's no way to shoot someone already standing around the corner. (except for lag which makes it seem that way for the player being shot if he just ran around the corner)
- blood effects are local, the engine on the client guesses whether you could have hit something or not -> you might see blood even if the server didn't see your bullet hitting the victim
(this is the main cause for players being confused)
- the player walking speed is slowerthan for a usual Source game -> decreases client/server blood/hit inconsistency and is faithful to the original

After all, I think you're right about latency being the reason for complaints. Think of it like this: hit detection was implemented already in Source, so there's two possibilities: either the devs just used it (as it was in CS: S and every other game nobody complains about) or they implemented something better (who'd implement something they knew was inferior to something existing?). In any case the only 'fault' would be to have smaller hitboxes which cause blood to spill even if the victim wasn't hit, but yet there are many players prefering it over randomly getting headshots even if their supposed killer wasn't really aiming at their head but rather above it or being shot luckily because their hitbox was hanging out of their cover.

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 05:39:47 pm »

I like the idea of us picking teams ourselves.... 1v1 may be an option also.

WNxBIGBIRD

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • WNxBIGBIRD has no influence.
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 05:43:52 pm »

Picking our own teams won't be fair at all. We already have a clue as to who will want to be with who. They will just be overpowered like I said earlier if all the pros gang up.

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 12:05:54 am »

I say we just get a list of everyone who wants to be in the tourny and put the names in a random generator.

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 12:20:36 am »

Could be very unfair for some... :- /
Wouldn't it be good to have the list first and compare people to one another, rating them and putting teams together that have about the same teamscore? I guess this would make it more interesting - even if it was like one team consisting of people rated 5-5-5 and another of 7,5-7,5-0.
But I guess there shouldn't be more than 5 players per team, otherwise this system could be unfair, too.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2010, 12:56:41 am »

It should be tiered. There is no reason to group rookies with experts. That is like pairing the harlem globtrotters with your local middle school basketball team.

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2010, 01:00:10 am »

It should be tiered. There is no reason to group rookies with experts. That is like pairing the harlem globtrotters with your local middle school basketball team.
...except for having fun by slaughtering new players most brutally :angel:

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2010, 07:12:40 am »

What about qualification matches?
Something like free for all deathmatch and the first few players of each match will take part in the tourney.

Or

If there are enough participants, we could have Agent, Secret Agent and 00 Agent tourney.
So all the uebergood players will take part in the 00 Agent matches while less skilled ones are allowed to take part in Agent or Secret Agent.

Proxie

• 00 Agent
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2010, 07:19:46 am »

I still like my idea of the 1v1/2v2 randomly picked matches.

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 372
  • Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2010, 03:24:34 pm »

sv_friction -1 tourny

...but seriously, it would be pretty annoying for one good player being paired with a ton of people who do not wish to play strategically and don't get much done, just as it would be for the others as one player is taking all the kills. organizing teams and having divisions would probably be for the best.

That way, the pairings won't be so uneven and we can have actual competitive play, rather than just a normal public server match.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 03:28:21 pm by Entropy-Soldier »
"By reading this, you’ve done more than you can imagine." - Adrian

terps4life90

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2010, 03:31:10 pm »

What about qualification matches?
Something like free for all deathmatch and the first few players of each match will take part in the tourney.

Or

If there are enough participants, we could have Agent, Secret Agent and 00 Agent tourney.
So all the uebergood players will take part in the 00 Agent matches while less skilled ones are allowed to take part in Agent or Secret Agent.

That is an excellent idea, it's better than paring to opposite people together or two strong player together, or two crapper players together lol.

El Dudereno

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • El Dudereno is working their way up.El Dudereno is working their way up.El Dudereno is working their way up.
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2010, 03:36:16 pm »

I think we should have playoffs to form the tiers like Agent, Secret Agent, and 00 Agent.  The winner of Agent gets a chance to move up to the Secret Agent tier and the winner of that gets to play for the title in 00 Agent.  Maybe we could choose a day where it doesn't matter what time you get on.  You just have to score a certain amount of points that day to qualify.  So even if you don't qualify for 00 Agent you still have a chance of moving up through the tiers later when the tourney starts.  Maybe the top 2 or 3 of each tier advance.

EMH Mark I

• Earthworm Jimbo
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • EMH Mark I is working their way up.EMH Mark I is working their way up.EMH Mark I is working their way up.
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2010, 03:59:59 pm »

...but seriously, it would be pretty annoying for one good player being paired with a ton of people who do not wish to play strategically and don't get much done, just as it would be for the others as one player is taking all the kills. organizing teams and having divisions would probably be for the best.

That way, the pairings won't be so uneven and we can have actual competitive play, rather than just a normal public server match.

^^That

and also, I would hate to have a 1v1 tournament.  OWS had one about a year ago, and no one really enjoyed it.  I believe WNx is also currently on the verge of holding an intramural 1v1 tournament of their own, so making another 1v1 wouldn't be the best option.  Its a little too competitive and a lot less fun.  A bracketed 4v4, 3v3, etc would be a lot more fun and would emphasize sticking together and using teamwork.

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2010, 05:42:45 pm »

Completely agree with Jimbo on this one. I got my ass kicked my proxy on 1v1 with shotguns. :P I don't want that to happen again. :)

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up