GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 20, 2024, 03:55:34 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hit Registry is off  (Read 15871 times)

terps4life90

Hit Registry is off
« on: May 10, 2010, 11:36:53 am »

I have noticed the the hit registry is off, i have been spectating alot to see if it was just me, and it wasn't, so if you guys to please check out that problem that would be great, Thanks. Love the mod.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 11:39:18 am by terps4life90 »

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
Re: Hit Registry is off
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 12:56:11 pm »

There are several things to this issue. One is our hit boxes are way smaller than other ones in TF2 or HL2:DM. The way they are currently it is roughly perfectly around their body. Another factor to this issue is no other mod really had a Licence to Kill style, where one shot is supposed to kill you. You shot, and on your end you get the hit and see blood, but on the other players end, your shot has missed the hit box, thus letting a kill blow go un-noticed.

Lastly, there is a hit delay between shots. If you fire away into a person, not all bullets are going to count. Lets say that you start shooting someone, aiming at the floor and moving up. You are going to get the limb shot first which is 1/4 a head shot, as your shots continue to hit, they do no damage because the other player is immune for a short while, thus letting him place a well timed shot to your face.

If we increased the hitboxes, it would help the LTK problem, but you could hide behind a wall and still die because the dude was shooting at you managed to get your hotbox first. Also, when a player spawns, they have a immunity for a few seconds unless thay press the shoot button within that time.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 01:32:06 pm »

Watching in spectator mode is the worst way to tell if there are hit reg problems. You are basically watching client-side predicted players shooting at other client-side predicted players. This means their shots will almost NEVER line up with reality.

Trust me, there are no hit reg issues besides the unavoidable prediction error issues that are inherent in every multiplayer game on Earth.

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • keefy is looked down upon.
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 02:34:22 pm »

That and the invulnerability period  ::)
Hl2DM hitboxes fit the models quite well apart from the head, if at a certain angle the area to hit is massive making headshots very easy indeed. Was a similar problem in Quake Live so not they use cylinders instead of boxes.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 02:42:02 pm by keefy »

SoFGR

• Agent
  • SoFGR has no influence.
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 12:25:52 pm »

I always put these settings in my  autoexec.cfg

fps_max 101
cl_cmdrate 66
cl_updaterate 66
rate 30000
cl_interp 0.03
cl_interp_ratio 2

never had any problem with the hit registration and i'm really picky about it, even in the wn chicago server  ( where i ping about 180ms ~ ) 

Pyroguy

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 03:44:43 pm »

This really pissed me off the other night. I had 20ms of latency to the server, but half the players were 100+. They were literally unhitable. This was after 8 or more rounds that had some hiccups here and there, but were mostly pretty good. But on my last round of the night, they could literally stand still, and I could pump a full magazine of whatever automatic weapon into them, and barely any damage registered at all. Something is off, I don't know if it's fixable or not, but it's not reliable like Source usually is.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 04:52:38 pm »

Hitreg is still awful.  I've suffered as many as three consecutive blood-no-kill Golden Gun attacks in 4.2, and I'm not able to use my fire-and-forget technique because every time I kill someone I have to re-target and kill them again just to be sure, which often leaves me exposed to taking damage.  As aforementioned, Source sucks, but frankly I think we need a way for the game to detect when it is screwing the pooch so it can pull out and get its pants on before the player opens the game's bedroom door asking to kill the guy his AuG or LTK pistol is precisely targeting.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 04:54:23 pm by Viashino Cutthroat »
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 06:53:06 pm »

I honestly don't have that many issues with hitreg.....occasional golden gun unregistered hits...but it is generally consistent for me...

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 372
  • Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 07:30:10 pm »

I've just gotten used to it.  It's pretty common in all source games and most people die in 1, occasionally 2 golden gun hits that are dead center. If i miss the center of their body by the slightest margin i usually don't rely on the kill (though i get it often enough).  Of course, there are people out there with ISP hacks who take anywhere from 3 to 5 golden gun hits every time i meet them, but for the most part i don't take too much damage from them for the same reasons.

The thing to keep in mind about bad hit reg is; you probably get saved by it as much as it saves other people from you.  Though i can say that's hard to keep in mind when that guy standing still in aimmode is taking several golden gun hits to the face without showing any discomfort.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 07:35:57 pm by Entropy-Soldier »
"By reading this, you’ve done more than you can imagine." - Adrian

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 08:08:46 pm »

I have 300+ latency to most servers i go in. and you know what? I don't lead anymore. I just aim right at what I see.

Goldengun kills everytime I see blood, they drop. Never once in the last few months have I seen blood on a one hit gun and it not translated to a kill.

You guys must have bad luck, or bad isp. Either way there are those of us who don't even get hurt by supposed hit reg. To me is amazing. Go in CSS with a 300 ping and lag like a fuck trying to kill anyone is a bitch.

GES > commercial source games

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 02:53:30 am »

i still get hit issues here and there, but its a hell of a lot better than most games.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

TwiggyTwink

• Secret Agent
  • TwiggyTwink has no influence.
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 09:06:30 pm »

I'm giving this a healthy bump because I'm starting to lose patience with this issue. It's been my biggest issue with the mod since I started playing it in December of 2008.

Lets say that you start shooting someone, aiming at the floor and moving up. You are going to get the limb shot first which is 1/4 a head shot, as your shots continue to hit, they do no damage because the other player is immune for a short while, thus letting him place a well timed shot to your face.

THIS IS DISTURBING. Why does this occur? Why aren't my shots giving damage? Why do they get this special invulnerability period? I have never heard of such a situation like that.

I'm not trying to add salt to any wounds, but I have SIX friends on Steam who refuse to play this mod because of the "hitboxes."

For those of you who aren't having any issues, that's great. But it seems to be folks associated with the mod that are claiming no issues (well, besides VC) -- and I'm not insinuating you guys are "trying to cover up" something. My guess is you've been at it so long, you've kinda adjusted to the issue.

I am so grateful that all of you (who've put countless hours in this mod) have dedicated your free time to making a game for thousands to enjoy but I feel this one glaring issue is really hurting the mod.

Literally 3 weeks ago, there were over a hundred people playing at the same time. Obviously, it was due to the new patch. But I think the sharp decline is largely contributed to the hitboxes. I'm basing this off of friends who downloaded the new Version under the impression that the hitboxes were "fixed" but found that they were still having the same issue.

There are other mods that will NEVER come as close to GE:S in terms of visual polish and team dedication. Hell, you guys are Top 5 on MODDB. But other mediocre mods like ZPS are beating GES's playerbase by the hundreds. Not bashing ZPS or its Devs -- that mod was excellent back in the day but has severely fallen off in terms of dedication and actual in-game content.

Anyway, I'm starting to sound like a whiney-fanboy-"know-it-all" -- and I'm not trying to at all. I just want to voice my concern because I know that so many of you have dedicated so much time to this mod for it to be so bare in terms of playerbase.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 09:20:08 pm »

It's not an issue, it's how the original gameplay worked. Everyone in GE64 was just too busy shooting walls with the very occasional hit thanks to the joystick imprecision and not even noticing the invuln period.

What I think could really help is if we could somehow add some sort of visual feedback to indicate when players are invulnerable after taking damage, since nobody seems to understand how it's supposed to work otherwise.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 09:30:39 pm »

Everyone in GE64 was just too busy shooting walls with the very occasional hit thanks to the joystick imprecision and not even noticing the invuln period.
Automatics and/or auto-aim made it pretty obvious to me when I was 14, which is why I don't understand how so many people who have played the game don't understand the invuln time...
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 10:20:54 pm »

They haven't played the original game.  That should be one of the first things you notice if you listen to conversation any time the original game is mentioned.

"I have never heard of such a situation like that."

Turn on any Mega Man game.
Get hit.
See him flashing?

That situation has been standard in nearly every platformer that uses any HP system since the 80's.  Spam shooters are pretty much the only genre that doesn't use it in some fashion.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up