GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 21, 2024, 10:47:21 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LAN Party  (Read 9824 times)

gckid333

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • gckid333 has no influence.
LAN Party
« on: March 15, 2010, 03:30:31 am »

I am part of the FIRST FRC Robotics team at my school, and needless to say, we love LAN parties. And I love GE: Source. I've been trying to convince people to play it all year long and I think this would be my best chance. However I do have some questions and concerns...

I know that to play this game, you need to have at least one Source game installed, along with Steam. I don't think everyone will have this (and well, some of the people *cough* acquire *cough* their games using different methods). Is there any way to get around this? I am assuming that Steam is required to play online, but this is just LAN.

And I know this is a dumb question but can you play GE: Source on LAN? Has anyone tried it before?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
Re: LAN Party
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 04:19:24 am »

You have to have Steam and a Source game to play GES online or over LAN, no if's, and's or but's. However, you can log into Steam on one account online with the Source game installed, then disconnect that computer from the internet but have it remaining on the LAN, then log in another computer to same computer and do the same thing, and so on. I think you can play LAN that way, but it will boot everyone off of the account except for the last person to log in after reconnecting to the internet.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 04:37:28 am »

Tell them to buy HL2DM for $4.99. Seriously.

gckid333

• Agent
  • gckid333 has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 05:05:21 am »

I have orange box for the PC. Can I just install it on every PC, and do the thing where I log onto my account and then connect to LAN?

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 01:01:45 pm »

No guarantees it'll work. I used to host LAN parties back in the 90's when you could share an AOE CD among 4 people and that was LEGAL. However, times have changed, and I am sure Valve has something in there to prevent the same steam id / login name / whatever from joining a LAN server even though you are in offline mode.

Trust me on this one, if you want it to be a success have them purchase HL2DM for $4.99 and avoid all this mess.

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
  • keefy is looked down upon.
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 07:36:13 pm »

I ahve managed to get 2 players using the same account to play on LAN only, but it was a while back.  Here is how I did it.

1 Login on first computer make sure remeber PassWord is checked
2 Update any games you want to play and start them once
3 restart in offline mode and disconnect form internet.
4 do the same for all other computers
Pages: [1]   Go Up