GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 29, 2024, 04:18:06 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First Impressions are always important  (Read 3489 times)

FT2k4

First Impressions are always important
« on: March 04, 2010, 09:35:08 pm »

Heya, new here and new to the mod, but have been a GoldenEye fan since it first came out. When I heard of this mod a while ago, I thought it was the most awesome mod ever to be thought-up for the Source engine, but then felt put-off by the fact that it was multiplayer-only (I'm glad to see single player is also being discussed!). I'm not the biggest fan of multiplayer games, except for TF2, but that can be bothersome as well...especially with class stacking. However, I decided to at least give this mod a try last night since I was feeling nostalgic and hooked up my N64 to play GE64. And after less than a day of playing, all I have to say is:

WOW. I was completely blown out of the water with how awesome and fun the mod is. The weapons are pretty-well balanced and nothing makes me smile more than taking down a spray-n-prayer with an RC-P90 or an AR33 with a few well-aimed PP7 shots, and the maps are overall impressive and I still haven't played them all yet! You guys have done an awesome job of re-creating the maps based on both the game and the movie, and I especially liked Facility Backzone with the gas tanks set up as they were in the movie. Almost felt like I could take a KF7 and shoot open a gate to have all those canisters fall down like in the movie X3

The game certainly brings back a lot of memories of chasing friends down in maps, only this time I don't have to worry about them looking at my screen to see where I am XD The game-modes are fun and getting my hands on the Golden Gun in MWTGG feels like an achievement all in itself. I saw some posts saying it's over-powered, but if you get your hands on it, especially after taking down someone who had it first, you deserve to get a little payback with a one-shot kill! Gun Game is also an interesting mode and it gets rather challenging when you're down to the weakest of guns and all around you are people who've still got the power weapons. XD Live and Let Die is also an interesting mode and on my second try as Baron Samedi, I managed to win the round. ^^

I'm still getting used to the "new" maps with all the hidden sections and new areas, as well as re-familiarizing myself with the older maps with hidden passages like Archives and Library, and still getting used to all the weapons (Sniping people from one end of Runway to the other with a PP7 or Cougar Magnum feels awesome, especially since in other games, you'd be accused of hacking XD), but my first impressions of the mod are very positive, and I look forward to playing for a long time to come!

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
Re: First Impressions are always important
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 01:10:50 am »

Happy to hear you like Live and Let Die, it seems to be rather hit-or-miss on the comprehension factor.

You'll still get accused of hacking.  Happens to me almost every night I play, even though the game itself identifies me as a DEV.  :eyeroll:
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 02:38:56 am »

I have to say, VC, Live and Let Die has grown on me and I'm rather fond of it now. I think it takes time to really get the feel for it. Like a B-side that takes a few listens to really even begin to explore.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

FT2k4

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 03:12:41 am »

I rather like the idea of Live and Let Die, as it gives players more than just one target (aside from each other) to focus on: Baron, and Golden Gun (or the man with the Golden Gun). It's like a little free-for-all competition to get the Golden Gun so they can be the one who finally takes down Baron Samedi, and all the while the Baron has his own objectives as well. It's a very interesting mode to play!

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 05:12:00 am »

(Sniping people from one end of Runway to the other with a PP7 or Cougar Magnum feels awesome, especially since in other games, you'd be accused of hacking XD),

Haha yea I love doing that on my map, Makes me feep special :P even though I cant play my own game!!!

L-i-f-e is rough

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

FT2k4

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 05:14:53 am »

Hehe, I was doing that earlier with the D5k against people spraying while I just sat back and aimed towards their heads. Got about 8-10 kills in a row before someone flanked with an AR33 XD

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 05:19:07 am »

Hehe, I was doing that earlier with the D5k against people spraying while I just sat back and aimed towards their heads. Got about 8-10 kills in a row before someone flanked with an AR33 XD

Where were you camping? the sniper tower? or the area next to the garage, those are "alright" places IMO. I will add more sniping spots in the versions to come.

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

FT2k4

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 05:31:55 am »

Actually...I was going back and forth in the open on the runway itself AND shooting people trying to camp in the tower XD I only go up in the sniper tower if I have a sniper or an AR33 XD

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 09:28:51 am »

Welcome to the community.

Glad to see you are in favour of our game in light of the fact you like almost no MP games. That is a big coo for us i'd say.

Keep playing we can use all the thousands of players we can get for a big MP experience and i look forward to running into you :D [GE:S Dev] Wake ; in game.
Pages: [1]   Go Up