GoldenEye: Source Forums

• October 18, 2024, 11:26:52 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: n64 controller with GE source?  (Read 14806 times)

daveykinetic

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • daveykinetic has no influence.
n64 controller with GE source?
« on: February 03, 2010, 10:28:19 pm »

hi there. does the n64 controller work ok on this game via usb converter?  If so can buttons be mapped out to n64 pad the same as the original version on n64?  this would be ideal as i would like the original feel to the game.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
Re: n64 controller with GE source?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 10:37:40 pm »

It is possible to use an N64 controller, but GE:S has more buttons than Goldeneye 64.

For instance.. Reload and Action/Open Door are separate buttons and Crouch didn't exist on the N64 as it was Aim + C down.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

daveykinetic

• Agent
  • daveykinetic has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 07:18:29 pm »

which controller would you recommend?

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 07:27:22 pm »

I wouldn't recommend any controller to be honest, I play with mouse + keyboard like most others. I recommend mouse + keyboard.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Cybertronic

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 07:32:12 pm »

It is possible to use an N64 controller, but GE:S has more buttons than Goldeneye 64.

For instance.. Reload and Action/Open Door are separate buttons and Crouch didn't exist on the N64 as it was Aim + C down.

I am sure there would be a way to map both reload and action to the same button but I do agree with you that the Controller would be a poor choice. Crouch Did to exist in Goldeneye... I used to Crouch and move around and laugh at the lack of crouch walk animations.... the person would slide around on their knee.

For More info on control schemes...
http://goldeneye.wikia.com/wiki/Control_style

I am fully aware that crouch is not actually listed but thats because it was a button combo... You pressed the aim button and then C-Down

Btw it would be cool if we could reincorporate this watch menu system.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 07:41:47 pm by Cybertronic »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 10:41:40 pm »

The watch menu doesn't fit with multiplayer at all that is why it wasn't implemented, although it may make an appearance at some point...

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 11:02:53 am »

If you really would like to get pwned for playing with a controller than you should get a DirectInput controller like the Xbox360 controller for Windows. Picking a USB HID controller is probably better for all non Games for Windows titles, but Source sucks with USB HID and a wrapper isn't realy working with my Logitech USB HID Rumblepad 2 (which is a kickass controller btw...)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 11:23:50 am by V!NCENT »

daylecman

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 12:48:31 am »

I tried it with a USB connector once, and to say it simply, it didn't go too well. The stick doesn't work that well with the game, and aiming is almost impossible.

LuckySeven

• Agent
  • LuckySeven has no influence.
    • The harlequin
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 01:10:01 am »

If you use xPadder im guessing it would be possible because i think you can map the same key more then one to a key on the keyboard so you could for example have  "R" and "C" on the keyboard as like "A" on the N64 Controller.

It might work if... if that's what you want.

http://postdownload.filefront.com/13862974//4691e0915ac6991fd1aad77c89a7138d3fa738c4b269ff0ddddde2653443a64a7b7fb04065890f23

Thats a link to the version i use i think the newer versions you have to pay for but anyway good luck :D
~Harlequin~
       Australian multi-game Clan.

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
  • keefy is looked down upon.
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 06:43:04 pm »

I recoemnd you use the same controller you use for typing posts in this forum.

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 05:48:25 am »

QFT

Gabbo

• Cate Archer's secret lover
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 24
  • Gabbo might someday be someone...Gabbo might someday be someone...Gabbo might someday be someone...Gabbo might someday be someone...
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 06:16:40 am »

While I agree completely, mouse and keyboard 1st and foremost, it's not a bad idea to see how the controller plays with the mod so changes can be made if something goes tits up when its used. This goes for any mod really, not just GE:S

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 08:19:19 pm »

It would be nice though if there was a way to have controller only servers and that these servers whould have an N64 controller icon displayed in the maps display...

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 07:54:52 am »

Last time i tried a controller with GES, i was still able to use Mouse+Keyboard.
So even if there's a way to detect the presence of a controller, i don't think it's possible to make absolutly sure the client is using it.

So the only possibility remains: get some friends together you can trust that they'll be using a controller and host your own password protected server.

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
  • keefy is looked down upon.
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 10:43:48 am »

If you use xPadder im guessing it would be possible because i think you can map the same key more then one to a key on the keyboard so you could for example have  "R" and "C" on the keyboard as like "A" on the N64 Controller.

It might work if... if that's what you want.

http://postdownload.filefront.com/13862974//4691e0915ac6991fd1aad77c89a7138d3fa738c4b269ff0ddddde2653443a64a7b7fb04065890f23

Thats a link to the version i use i think the newer versions you have to pay for but anyway good luck :D
Just noticed this.
Its already possible to bine 2 or more actions to one key in engine without any external programs using scripts.

Code: [Select]
alias +reuse "+reload; +use"
alias -reuse "-reload; -use"
bind "r" "+reuse"
Pages: [1]   Go Up