GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 29, 2024, 05:24:22 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I'll show you mine, if you show me yours..  (Read 8753 times)

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
Re: I'll show you mine, if you show me yours..
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 10:51:44 pm »

Yeah man, ever since I realized the magic of Steam I haven't bought a hard copy of anything since and never bought a sixth generation console.
I'll never do that. Valve said that if/when Steam goes down for good (bankrupt or something) they will release patches that lets you play your games without connection to a Steam server. You can then backup once and install everywhere. They also said that these patches were already tested inhouse.

I would never allow DRM to kick my ass 8)

Just imagine that you bought GE64 through Steam at that time and the service would shut down :-X

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 10:58:57 pm »

I'll never do that. Valve said that if/when Steam goes down for good (bankrupt or something) they will release patches that lets you play your games without connection to a Steam server. You can then backup once and install everywhere. They also said that these patches were already tested inhouse.

You just fought against your own argument there dude, and I trust Steam to stay up for quite some time (especially since they released the news that they've doubled in size in the last twelve months).

I would never allow DRM to kick my ass 8)

Steam games usually have no DRM in comparison to their retail counterparts. Most Steam-distributed games including the Valve ones (the COD Series is also a good example) use the built-in Steam DRM. A few shitty console ports have Securom and other bullshit programs attached to them (GTA IV, Far Cry 2) but they're clearly stated on the game's store page and therefore easy to avoid. You just can't go wron with anything in Steam. :)
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 11:06:38 pm »

You just fought against your own argument there dude, and I trust Steam to stay up for quite some time (especially since they released the news that they've doubled in size in the last twelve months).
Probably. And no I haven't fought against my own argument because these patches only apply to Valve games :P

Steam games usually have no DRM in comparison to their retail counterparts. Most Steam-distributed games including the Valve ones (the COD Series is also a good example) use the built-in Steam DRM. A few shitty console ports have Securom and other bullshit programs attached to them (GTA IV, Far Cry 2) but they're clearly stated on the game's store page and therefore easy to avoid. You just can't go wron with anything in Steam. :)
So ewr when you buy 3rd party games then you can unlimitely download them and they do not require Steam?

But this is why I hate DRM:
When the service goes down, it takes your ability to play your games with it...

Oh and I do have some Securom games... It is just that if I install it under Wine I can backup once and reinstall till I drop, without the intarwebs, like with Red Alert 3 :D So uh... what are these 3x installs? :angel: ;)

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 11:17:50 pm »

Steam is a form of DRM btw..

Anyway, when you buy games you should be printing off the receipts or saving the emails.  With that you can go to the original company (if activision didnt shut them down) and they will reissue you a key.
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 11:26:33 pm »

Steam is a form of DRM btw..

Anyway, when you buy games you should be printing off the receipts or saving the emails.  With that you can go to the original company (if activision didnt shut them down) and they will reissue you a key.
EA games has the policy of 3-5 times installs without complaining.
EA: Hello EA games customer 'service'.
You: Yo I bought <insert title here> in the store and my computer died and I want to reinstall <insert title here> but I can't. I could do it on my previous computer and so there shouldn't be a problem!
EA: Bla bla bla.
You: Bla bla bla.
EA: Okey we restarted the counter.
You: Kthnxbye

But in my case it goes like this:
Securom: Hey Windows, what's the time and date
Wine: It's 19 dec 2009
Securom: Oh Rly?
Wine: Yarly.
Securom: Can I ask the intarwebs?
Wine: No.
Securom: Ewr... are you really Windows
Wine: Yeah dude, totally
Securom: You, like, totally fooled me into believeing that dude.
Wine: I know... Did I also tell you that I am not a debugger?
Securom: Wow dude... let's game
Wine: Totally *rofl*

olileauk

• Last vestige of [L[T]K]
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • olileauk has no influence.
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2010, 01:36:13 am »

(I bloody hope this scales...)

Yay, it scaled!

Right click, view image to see fullsize.
Been here since Alpha 1.1... Those were the days.

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 05:26:24 am »

I sense an erotic image on that desktop of yours.....judging from the bottom.........

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 05:33:09 am »

I sense an erotic image on that desktop of yours.....judging from the bottom.........

Maybe its him lol!

Gabbo

• Cate Archer's secret lover
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 24
  • Gabbo might someday be someone...Gabbo might someday be someone...Gabbo might someday be someone...Gabbo might someday be someone...
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 06:41:21 pm »

I hope there are two people in that image or someone has bent their legs the wrong way.
As for Steam folder size, I'm around 73gb with half my games installed. Couldn't be assed after going to Win7 and not backing them up. Thankfully there hasn't been a Steam sale that raped my wallet since Tropico3 so it'll be easier to get it back around 130-140
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up