GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 29, 2024, 08:25:15 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Beta 4 - First Impressions.  (Read 8907 times)

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
Re: Beta 4 - First Impressions.
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 04:21:18 am »

@Olileuk:
about that alpha one days... I have been the anoying teen under the name Vin :P It was also in the days before the forum crash when the even more annoyong WeClock was still around and the gay Polizei was around posting shameless gay pics xD

Jesus so much time has passed since then... So much shit I've been through and so much I have experienced it is just crazy!

Good to see you BTW... your avatar is still the same ^^,

The Cy

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 11:49:38 am »

The different gameplay modes:

pro:
1.Live and Let Die: I love this gameplay the most. whoever had the idea - it´s genius ! it´s just pure fun to run away from the baron and kill the mwtgg and then try to kill the baron with the gg. the only enoying fact: most people don´t know how to play. they constantly ask questions like these: what´s a baron ? how do I kill the baron ? I can´t respawn, why ? why does the baron not die after shooting him ? he will be more powerful instead, why ? - so they kill anybody except the baron and wonder why they don´t get points........ arghhhhh !!!!!! ( press x, press x, press x, oh please, press x :( )

2.gun game: love it, quick gameplay, it´s funny, it´s frustrating sometimes ( arghhh, I want to kill you with the knife, die die die, you little fucker!) , but hey, that´s life  ;D

3. capture the key: like it very much, although you have to run a marathon sometimes. ( egyptian, aztec)

contra: 
4. the living daylights: I can´t help it, but I don´t like it. in my opinion  it´s just boring running around with the flags while watching your score and catching ammunition. and people doesn´t care. some of them just hide in some lonely corner and nobody ever touches them. and you feel useless while holding the flag, ´cause you can´t drop it and shoot somebody. all you can do for a little action is punching some people to death with your flags. but that should not be the intention, I think. 
maybe you can reduce the number of the flags.  what about three or two ? or just one, hoho, what a great chaos. and fun !
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 11:54:26 am by The Cy »
finished: ge_funhouse v4 Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?urjfs3ra2zdslcz

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 01:42:51 pm »

My ideas generally are genius.  At least, the ones that I allow to manifest a publicly-consumable form.

ld_playerflagratio.  Default is 4.  1 = everyone can have a flag. 32 = one flag forever.

Living Daylights' problem is that people don't know that they don't know how to play it.  Especially on Team, where people are DM'ing instead of making priority #1 to get the other team's flags on the ground, and #2 to get the flags under their own control.  I almost reached L4D levels of rage when I looked at the mini-score and saw the other side picking up about 4 points per second while I was the only carrier on my team because no one else on my side was in it to win it.

I never feel useless while holding the flag.  When I have a flag, I have a method for stealing the other player's points while increasing my scoring rate by beating the hell out of them with it.  Every flagpole strike is +1 for you and -1 for the sucker.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • keefy is looked down upon.
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 02:42:06 pm »

I think you will find the same problem in any CTF type game, most people tend to just play it as DM and no amount of score tweaking will change it :( and with GES being the way it is with random gametypes each map it makes it more confusing especially when you were playing TDM the previous map.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 02:45:49 pm by keefy »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2010, 03:18:11 pm »

Give it a week and you'll fall into the gameplay scenarios. They really arn't that confusing.

Also how is that any more confusing then going from TF2 Badlands to 2fort?

czarofthefrozentundra

• Agent
  • czarofthefrozentundra has no influence.
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2010, 05:01:42 pm »

Love the new mod.  I was wondering if there would be the ability in the near future to run the old maps as well as the new ones.  I love the new designs, but I also like playing the old maps.  Would be great to do both, but I am aware of some differences that don't allow them to be played.  Will there be some way to change this?  I guess the answer will depend on how difficult it is to make the old maps work, since it is probably a low priority.

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2010, 05:06:54 pm »

Living Daylights' problem is that people don't know that they don't know how to play it.  Especially on Team, where people are DM'ing instead of making priority #1 to get the other team's flags on the ground, and #2 to get the flags under their own control.  I almost reached L4D levels of rage when I looked at the mini-score and saw the other side picking up about 4 points per second while I was the only carrier on my team because no one else on my side was in it to win it.
I call this... the Counter-Strike effect.

CT:
"Stick together team"
-"Negative"
-"Negative"
-"Negative"
-"Negative"
-"Negative"
-"Negative"
-"Negative"
-"Negative"
-"Negative"
-"Go, go, go!"

"Terrorists win!"

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUu-

@Czar: There are already classic maps in the game! Create yourself a server ingame and check out the maps ;)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 05:08:49 pm by V!NCENT »

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2010, 05:41:04 pm »

I think he means OUR old maps, from previous beta's. Correct?

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2010, 05:51:59 pm »

I'm pretty sure he mean ripping the old maps and using them. Not only is that inefficient and next to impossible (although I know how it can be done), it would be highly illegal. Wait for VC to get his magic tools finished so we can get our exact replicas the legitimate way.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2010, 10:19:20 pm »

Working on it some more tonight/tomorrow.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

czarofthefrozentundra

• Agent
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2010, 10:50:50 pm »

Yes, I was referring to the maps that we used for beta 3.14.  The old cradle map, archive, etc.  Just like complex has two different versions, I was referring to having the ability to play with the older map versions, which I read was not possible in beta 4.  Thus my question.

If this is illegal, then how come we were able to play with them in the first place?  I thought they were all user-created maps.

engineer

• Retired Developer
  • Secret Agent
  • engineer has no influence.
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2010, 12:16:36 am »

He thought you meant ripping the maps from the console game and porting them to GE:S.
Quote from: basstronix
If sounds had taste, those explosions would taste like bacon.  I love it.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2010, 12:57:02 am »

Why would we bring back obsolete versions of maps from previous betas? That would defeat the entire purpose of updating or in some cases completely redoing some of them over the past year.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

asco33

• Agent
  • asco33 has no influence.
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2010, 01:20:06 am »

Well, since this is the Beta 4 first impressions thread, I'll share some with you.

First of all: thanks to the developers, they did a great job. Beta 4 is such a huge leap, incredible! So, here's my impressions, some of them might be "placebo", some of them might concern server owners or be very subjective, also I didnt read the changelog, whatever:

+ great graphics
+ movement & weapons seem to "just work", there's a certain "feels right"- feeling to it that I didnt fully get in 3.1
+ new maps are cool, I (& others) don't really understand aztec until now, but thats gonna work out
+ laser works fine, and although it's very powerful, I dont think its overpowered
+ rocket launcher feels exactly like i remember the N64 original - great work on that
+ playing with or against a high ping now seems to be more accurate; big plus if you still can play decently on eastern US (me being from EU)

- dunno if it's just me, but I can't skip the intro. The hl2.exe freezes as soon as I hit any button during the intro.
- glitches in new maps: "magic white door" on silo, on aztec you can sometimes quickly slip under opening gates/ doors
- having no weapon on "full" servers can be a real vicous circle: respawn->kill: repeat. Server admins gotta take care of their selection of weapon sets and number of players.
- also server admins: don't create weapon sets that include mines, rocket launchers and grenades; thats just VirtualBarbecue with nu fun involved.

In general:

. as much as I like the 16- player action of public servers, I hope that there's also a clan- 1v1/2v2/etc- scene evolving. Perhaps we can have a "get- together" thread somewhere?

. tbh this is the first release of GE:S that I would recommend to anybody who never played GE on N64... it's not just nostalgia anymore, it's a full grown game on it's own. Let's "lure" people into it, so we have full servers all around the world at any given time.

Yea well, my opinions on that (again) great release!

czarofthefrozentundra

• Agent
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2010, 12:05:21 pm »

Why would we bring back obsolete versions of maps from previous betas? That would defeat the entire purpose of updating or in some cases completely redoing some of them over the past year.

I don't think this defeats the purpose at all.  It gives variation.  It allows people to be put in a familiar environment with new weapons, but not having to figure out how to get around.  The first day I spent most of the time just trying to navigate my way around and find the weapons.  It took a couple of days.  Some of the old levels were simpler, and I find that attractive for newer players.

The maps were good to begin with, albeit maybe not what some people wanted in the end.   Since we run different version of other maps already ("classic" vs. not), I see no reason not to make available all the maps that were already worked on that were not issued in the new release.  There was one in particular that I came across that wasn't even a goldeneye map, but it was a very fun map to play on, small, with access to every weapon.  I think it was user-made. 

Since the maps are already made, barring difficulties with compatibility, I see no reason not to have more maps and more options.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up