GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 04:48:27 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: VC's Laboratory 100205: Goldfinger, First Draft  (Read 30562 times)

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
Re: VC's Laboratory 100205: Goldfinger, First Draft
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2010, 09:01:08 pm »

How about upon picking up a Gold Brick, the player gets a Golden Gun with three extra rounds. The only way they can get additional ammunition is to pick up more gold bricks (1-3 rounds per pickup), and if you run out of GG ammo you lose all your bricks.

This forces players not to spam with the GG, and makes it a precious item to have.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010, 09:22:44 pm »

Is this any different from Control on MWtGG?
Yes it is, because with the MWtGG you only have one player with the GG and he/she cannot on forehand predict where players are going to (which is away from you if you chose a good campspot) so you can shift aim camp at a certain spot while taking cover.

And then with MWtGG the player with the GG is highlighted on the map (you can't do that with GF because it would get too complex to manage) and he is attacked by everyone. In GF a person which has a GG is not the center of attention (for bullits).

However, if you would equate the goldbar with the amount of bullets in your gun, you could make an investment with your goldbar in killing people more easily and thereby increasing your score, which makes it kinda financial and gold is finance.

Soooo... getting a GG with three bullits when picking up a goldbar would be realy interesting to play. However, getting goldbars wouldn't be the main focus of the gameplay anymore because it would only be interesting for players without a GG to grab a goldbar to get it and then the people that do have it might camp for the players who want to reach the goldbar. That in turn would probably make people without a GG go after the person with the GG and thus rendering the gamemode irrelevant. It would turn it into MWtGG mode with multiple GGs and making the aquiring of the GG just more difficult, which would imbalance the mode even further.

OK, just playtest it first and then we (or you, VC+devs) will see if it's fun.

Kinky

• Level Designer / Environment Artist
  • Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Kinky has no influence.
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 09:30:56 pm »

Or have it so the gold bars ARE the bricks. And to use the GG you have togive up a "brick" per shot. Then youd probably need more "bricks"...

Anyway its got a lot of potential.

Currently in Progress - ge_jungle

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2010, 09:46:02 pm »

Or have it so the gold bars ARE the bricks. And to use the GG you have togive up a "brick" per shot. Then youd probably need more "bricks"...
Then there would be no use of getting the GG, other than denying another person to obtain a goldbar,..

Anyway its got a lot of potential.
That I can totally agree with ;)

Sergeant Kelly

• Deus Ex Fan.
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2010, 11:53:35 pm »

Ooh, I like the gold brick/bullet idea. If you want to use your gold gun, you have to sacrifice your score.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2010, 03:14:52 pm »

Then there would be no use of getting the GG, other than denying another person to obtain a goldbar,..

That is the perfect use for the GG then. This same strategy is involved in Living Daylights. You carry the flag whose only use is to deny other players from scoring (while increasing yours). It's a fundamental part of competitive gameplay.  :-)

I really like the idea of the GG eating your gold reserve, will have to add a python callback for when you fire a shot though (currently only have one for when a shot hits). Although we could just do it so you have unlimited GG bullets, but when one hits (and kills obviously) then you lose GOLD.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2010, 04:21:11 pm »

Would it be possible to change ammunition types of other weapons to Golden Bullets?

IIRC correctly Auric Goldfinger had a Golden revolver... perhaps you could have tiered Golden guns? If for instance a Golden skin was made for the Cougar and you could change the bullet types you could do this:

Tier 1: Golden Gun
Tier 2: Golden Magnum
Tier 3: Golden PP7

Perhaps based on your score? Or how many people you've killed? I don't know, just a thought really.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2010, 04:27:17 pm »

Feel free to add that callback support, it may be useful in the future.  However, the scenario designer is becoming quite worried at what will happen to GES servers when people with a text editor get carried away like this so easily, though he is flattered that an idea that popped into his head while jogging gathered so much attention.

Seriously, though: I'm not going to publish my drafts anymore.  A scrap of notebook paper will do fine as a reminder to myself of what I was thinking about henceforth.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 04:29:16 pm by Viashino Cutthroat »
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2010, 04:30:59 pm »

Sorry VC  :-X

You excite us too much...
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2010, 05:19:17 pm »

The feedback is crucial though because you aren't the only one who is going to be playing the gameplay. And yes, anyone can edit our scenarios, but a big fat (CUSTOM) tag will be emblazoned on it with even one addition of a space or new line.

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2010, 06:07:48 pm »

Feedback like this shouldn't deter you from posting VC. Everyone deals with this kind of thing. Look at he mappers for instance, they get people saying "this is shitty, this is shitty, you need to fix this, I think you should do this blah blah blah" but that is what separates the awesome maps from the ok maps. I mean look at KM..he has had to redo so many things as well just because of critique from everyone. This isn't just trying to beat up on you. This scenario might become the greatest scenario of all of them JUST because it was REALLY thought out before put into action. Gotta be able to take constructive feedback man. :)

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2010, 07:24:37 pm »

Feedback like this shouldn't deter you from posting VC. Gotta be able to take constructive feedback man. :)

Theres a bit of a difference in all fairness.

No one is critiquing a detailed concept, because there isnt one yet. They viewed the initial thoughts (notice : FIRST DRAFT) and are excitedly or skeptically throwing their ideas into the hat that wasn't offered up in the first place. In essence this aims to drive it elsewhere when nobody has even played, much less viewed it working in a test phase.

When this kind of early input is allowed, the final product can likely dissapoint those people who thought their idea was better, even though without having been given the insight, theyd probly think the the full concept VC creates is great.

Its like a book guys, lord of the rings first draft was probly mostly crap, but the entire world werent given the chance to be "editors" to getting it to be how successful it became.

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2010, 07:52:04 pm »

Seriously, though: I'm not going to publish my drafts anymore.  A scrap of notebook paper will do fine as a reminder to myself of what I was thinking about henceforth.
Why so? Is it the critic?

I, for one (and I am not the only one), have not only expressed great confidence and potential for your idea, but also did some constructive critisism and this turned out to come to the conclusion that one brick per GG bullet would result in competetive gameplay.

We are not bashing your idea, VC. This discussion convinced KM for example that it would lead to competetive gameplay, which is great, right? And I didn't thought about it.

I also said it should be playtested because obviously it was hard/impossible for me to manage to predict if all the variables would, or would not, lead to a great balance of the mode.

Critisism, as long as it's constructive and not bashing instead, can improve your idea, as long as you are fine with being the main inventor and not the complete inventor.

And that is hard, because I always project my ideas really early on on forums and having to deal with the fact that somebody points out that some part has already been (partialy) done before, or something else will not work, kinda makes it steal away your 'baby'. But then things can leads to things that do work and in some cases makes me rethink things and end up with something way better than the original draft, which is why it is called a draft; it's subject to change ;) And this also makes me have to thing outside of the box and in other ways I would have never thought.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 07:54:09 pm by V!NCENT »

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2010, 08:19:20 pm »

I really don't agree with the idea that feedback deters from the original.if anything it helps vc see all the possible options his idea and then some. To be honest I like vcs idea but I also like hearing everyones idea. Plus isn't the point of posting something like this to get ideas and thoughts from the community? Vc you come up with awesome ideas and have always been a master at gamemodes. Don't let this thread discourage you

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2010, 03:21:11 pm »

I laid out my thoughts clearly.

The feedback people are saying, those people are expecting VC to agree and insert those changes/ideas ; Wether he likes it or not, because theve convinced themselves the concept is flawed without their wisdom. I dont believe he did set out to have a love-in of feedback, seems he was more creating a sense of hype and transparency about HIS proccess. Quite frankly i dont think he cares if anyone retorts his concept because its the first draft.

Since he is more a mastermind of these matters than anyone else here, he would have troubleshot any flaws in the draft by the time any of us even saw the final thing.

Look at my book analogy. Thats all there is to this matter. Seriously.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 03:24:31 pm by Wake[of]theBunT »
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up