GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 03:32:00 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Little Introduction  (Read 3518 times)

cloud9nine

A Little Introduction
« on: January 22, 2010, 10:34:12 am »

I'm a fan of GoldenEye, needless to say I found myself interested GES. I've played the game since I was a young'n, like most of you it was my first game for my first console (man do I love my mom!) and over the years I've always held it to high esteem.

Anyway, I've been involved in the GoldenEye emulation scene, online as well and have even ventured in modding the original game, like adding maps/weapons/models through patches. For those of you not familiar with what I'm talking about, I'm referring to the goldeneyevault & goldeneyeonline movements (no shameless promotion, just clarifying any doubts).

So yeah, just wanted to say hello to the community which I feel a lot in common with despite having just joined. Nostalgia goes a long way. I've been out of the loop though when it comes to hardcore competitive playing and since GES is pretty much all about that, what kinda tips/advice or warnings should I be aware of.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
Re: A Little Introduction
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 01:08:14 pm »

Other than hold on to your ass when VC joins the server, just play it like Goldeneye and you're 90% there.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 02:57:10 pm »

The best advice I can give is use Left Shift to bring up your crosshair in all ranges of combat, and you should always be aiming for headshots.

Keep those in mind and you've got a good few weeks head-start over other new players who pay less attention.

Everything else is about making good tactical decisions, for instance: depending on the weaponset you might prefer to opt for picking up armor rather than going for the most powerful weapon there is, especially if you can see someone already there on the radar as chances are they already have it.

Knowing the map layouts and where the armor and weapon spawns are goes a long way, you can use choke points and doors to your advantage, particularly if you have a powerful/penetrating/explosive weapon.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 04:00:31 pm »

Penetration doesn't roll out until 4, of course.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

cloud9nine

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 04:43:38 pm »

Yeah, the crosshair is very useful this time around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up