GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 27, 2024, 06:23:14 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Feedback] Suggestions and Bug Report  (Read 6262 times)

Nymph

• Mud Pies
  • Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Nymph is looked down upon.
[Feedback] Suggestions and Bug Report
« on: December 30, 2009, 11:22:40 pm »

First of all, I just want to say this is the most awesome mod ever!
I, of course, voted for it in the 2009 awards.

I know you guys are trying to keep it closest to the classic as possible.
But there's a few minor things I want to mention:

GAMEPLAY

1.) Jumping [Fixed in BETA 4]
Could we be able to jump and duck at the same time too?
The jump delay does not register when you jump from one brush to a new one.
I like it this way, but I just wanted to mention it, if it wasn't intended.

2.) Zoom/scope for Sniper [Rejected]
Could the zooming time be slightly decreased, just a bit?
And maybe also have two zoom-scales/ranges.
There could be an accelerated zooming when entering Aim Mode, but when you go to the second zoom-scale/range it will zoom instant.
Press 'Shift' to enter the Aim Mode, and while holding down 'Shift' you click the 'Right-Mouse Button' to go to the second zoom-scale/range.

3.) Remote Mines = Super-Nades [Fixed in BETA 4]
Found out how you do it, but come on, it's just too overpowered.
Could you please change it to only be able to detonate with the watch?
Seriously, you're unbeatable with Remote Mines.
My score with Remote Mine has been: 40-70+ kills and 1-15 deaths :P

4.) Bashing with the Sniper
What about bashing your enemies with the Sniper?
The Sniper could have either a secondary attack mode, or replace melee weapon.
There could also be a small advantage hitting with the rifle butt; f.ex, longer range or/and higher damage, but also disadvantages as slower attack speed.

5.) Longer range for opening doors
Increase the range for opening doors, because you have to be so close to the door that anyone can see you through the door. Or maybe remove the glitch (if possible?).

6.) Radar settings (adjust and sonar)
Able to adjust the radar, zooming in and out, so that we can have a more "accurate" positions on opponents and friends.
The maximum for zooming out could be as it is now.
And could there be a server option that make radar almost as sonars.
It scans the radar every certain time (adjustable).
Then you approximately know the location of your opponents, instead of always knowing where they are/where they're going or completely clueless where to find your opponents.
Maybe also make it very simple for players to zoom in and out on the radar by just pressing 'Ctrl/Shift/Alt + Mouse Wheel Up/Down'.

7.) Throwing Knife
Make the knife fly faster, it's super-hard to hit someone.
There was one guy pwning us with Hunting Knife while we were 5 guys throwing knives at him.
And KH witnessed it, he was one of 'em :P

MAPS

1.) Cradle
The lowest section where you go up from the house, the ladders which are divided in two.
I can't climb up from the last ladder without jumping down to the first one to climb up again.

NOTABUG

1.) Ladders
Climbing in ladders is like a ride in the roller coaster.
But this is most definetly caused by high latency.

2.) Weapon models jittering
A latency of 140 ms and you'll see the weapon models "lags" as you swing it a 90 degree direction.

That's those I can come in mind at the moment, but I'll add more as I play.
Thanks for this super-awesome-mega-cool-mod! ;D *happyhappyjoyjoy*
Much appreciated, and endless of hours of phun! (shootmepls..)

Best regards,
Nymph.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 06:55:37 pm by Nymph »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: My Feedback
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 03:15:17 am »

Hello Nymph, Thanks for the awesome comments! Since you're new here I just want to make sure you know we have a new Beta that will be hitting the streets very soon.

Anyway,

As for your crits, lemme let you know some secrets in Beta 4:

Jumping is completely overhauled with a new crouch jump scheme and improvements in player movement. The crippled Valve code is gone!

The zoom timing is actually a part of our consideration in balance. It creates an incentive not to zoom in/out really fast to cheat the accuracy / speed movement system. When the crosshair appears that means you are officially shooting in "aimed" mode and your accuracy is improved depending on the weapon you have. This is by design and a visual cue to you when you are in aimmode or not.

Have fun!

Nymph

• Mud Pies
  • Agent
Re: My Feedback
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 03:46:15 am »

Hey there, KM!

I'm thrilled to hear about the new crouch-jump scheme ;D
The zoom timing on the other hand, is actually okay, but only slightly decreased on the Sniper, would be perfect (depends on who you ask).
But I would just say that the accuracy should be increased "alot" more on the sub-machine guns and rifles.
I know it should have cons and pros, like slower movement, you get crosshair, increased accuracy and so on.
But mostly I do not use the crosshair mode, as I'm pretty much a freekill in close- to mid-combat.
I would say, IMO increase the accuracy or decrease the slow movement :)

Best regards,
Nymph.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 04:12:19 am by Nymph »

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
Re: [Feedback] Suggestions and Bug Report
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 10:12:52 am »

Hey there, KM!

I'm thrilled to hear about the new crouch-jump scheme ;D
The zoom timing on the other hand, is actually okay, but only slightly decreased on the Sniper, would be perfect (depends on who you ask).
But I would just say that the accuracy should be increased "alot" more on the sub-machine guns and rifles.
I know it should have cons and pros, like slower movement, you get crosshair, increased accuracy and so on.
But mostly I do not use the crosshair mode, as I'm pretty much a freekill in close- to mid-combat.
I would say, IMO increase the accuracy or decrease the slow movement :)

Best regards,
Nymph.

Hey there and welcome.

The accuracy of all weapons are very close to canon, minus a few imperfections (you can't get 100% precision). It's actually quite good IMO. A member of the team did the fine tuning and more is on the way, but I think accuracy is not one of the points that's going to change much.

The SMG's are accurate enough where they have to be: close quarters. You have the P90 whihc deviates a bit, but that's not a normal weapon :D...

The rifles you mentioned are also very close to the original. IIRC, there's a movement penalty when shooting a weapon (correct me if I'm wrong); that makes weapons more inaccurate.

But I guess you'll change you mind when you are killed by a Klobb from one side of the Cradle to the other...

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 01:17:56 pm »

There is no movement penalty, there is a FIRING penalty. The more bullets that sling out of your muzzle the worse your accuracy gets up to a certain amount. If you spray and pray you won't do much but maybe 2 leg shots and an arm shot.

The keys to winning in this game is short bursts and aim mode when needed. You will be a semi-pro in no time.

Nymph

• Mud Pies
  • Agent
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 03:00:52 pm »

@ PPK:
Thanks, man! :)
Yeah, I guess you're right.
Although, I didn't mean increasing accuracy in general, but only in Aim Mode.
But seems you got it:
But I guess you'll change you mind when you are killed by a Klobb from one side of the Cradle to the other...
But maybe not increase the overall accuracy in Aim Mode, only increase it a bit when you're moving.

@ KM
Indeed, it was mostly a joke about "spraying in panic".
And I'm jumping everytime I shall see where the crosshair is, since it seems like I lose no movement penalty by it.
But could something be done with the Remote Mines in Beta 4?

Best regards,
Nymph.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 04:35:54 pm »

It's allready fixed by the rolling explosions which will be in beta 4 (read the two latest media releases).

Nymph

• Mud Pies
  • Agent
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 05:48:42 pm »

Sorry, my bad; I'll keep an eye on the Dev Media.
Well, after some more playing, I realize it's not any need for increasing the accuracy, at all.
And increasing...decrease the zooming time on the scope; IMO, it's a bit too slow actually.

Best regards,
Nymph.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 09:42:02 pm by Nymph »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 08:40:53 pm »

Zooming time is remaining the same for most weapons. I believe sniper rifle got a little faster

Nymph

• Mud Pies
  • Agent
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 09:33:20 pm »

My apologize for not being clear, but I meant the Sniper.
But does it really have shorter zooming time than the Rifles?
I see it zooms faster, but not faster than the Rifles from start to end?
I mean, from you start to zoom 'till it's fully zoomed in.
Just slightly decrease the zooming time on the Sniper a bit.

On maps like Cradle, the zooming time doesn't matter, but on maps like Egyptian, I feel it could be increased a bit (not that it should be map-related).

Btw, could Sniper have a second attack mode, like in N64, where you could bash your enemies with the Sniper.
Maybe even have it a bit stronger than Slapper and the Hunting Knife.

Edit:
Forgot about what you said, KM, in the first post.
I see that because of the time you use to zoom, is to prevent to cheat the movement penalty.
But I think there's one way to cheat the movement penalty on other weapons, is by jumping right before you go in Aim Mode.
Maybe I'm wrong, but when I play, it seems I lose no/very little movement speed.

Best regards,
Nymph.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 09:47:12 pm by Nymph »

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 09:39:32 pm »

Bashing with the sniper rifle wasn't a secondary function.. it replaced the slapper when you picked up the sniper rifle... I'd love to see that in the future though!
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Nymph

• Mud Pies
  • Agent
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 09:49:49 pm »

Yeah, that's right :)
Forgot about that, but either have the Sniper to replace the primary melee weapon or it could be as a secondary attack mode.

Edit:
Shall the Grenades have rolling explosions?
I think the Grenades should be the only heavy explosion that shouldn't have rolling explosions, but maybe decrease the radius a bit.

Best regards,
Nymph.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 09:55:37 pm by Nymph »

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 11:35:08 pm »

all explosions will have the same rolling explosions look. The damage and radius IS different on all of them but the visual display is consistent for nostalgia, thats how we like it and thats how they did it!

Nymph

• Mud Pies
  • Agent
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 03:24:26 am »

I didn't mean the animation or anything (although I'm psyched about it!).
The rolling explosions such in N64, will push you miles away while it takes heavy damage; about a bit over half, if I remember right (and is a certain death if anyone continue to walk into the explosion).
But the Grenades could be as powerful as Remote Mines are now, only a smaller radius.
Since the Grenades can't be triggered to detonate.

The damage shouldn't remain the same on the Mines, are they?
Just that they are way too powerful than how they where on N64, and it doesn't exactly push you miles away...alive.

Best regards,
Nymph.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 03:32:20 am by Nymph »

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 02:55:30 pm »

Something about the rolling explotions and the sniper:
Is the aim mode of the sniper zoomable in beta 4? It was zoomable in GE64.
The rolling explosions are missing debris, from what I can see. Also a note on the particle side: in GE64 the rolling explosions where a lot of rolling mini particles, to create the illusion of a volumetric explosion. The Rolling explosion in beta 4 looks completely flat...

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 04:20:33 pm »

IIRC sniper zooming isn't changing in beta 4... Besides, it's pretty unnecessary to be able to zoom in and out manually, especially with how fast-paced multiplayer is, it's really only going to be more of a hindrance. How often did you really use manual sniper zooming in and out in GE64 multiplayer?

As for the explosion It looks flat because it is. Each frame of the animation is flat, but I expect it will appear 3D when playing, It's hard to get a feel for how the explosions really look just from the screenshots. There will be debris and smoke as was stated in the news update.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 07:03:21 pm »

As for the explosion It looks flat because it is.
Orly? If I was talking about particles then wouldn't I already know about that? No, a particle system is a mix of a shitload of flat images (yarly). BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT... in GE64 each particle was a rolling explosion it itself, but they are so... tiny... that they do visibly aka do not look like, but do) hit walls. It's a huge set of mini rolling eplosions and 'spawned' in such a way that each position combined makes it look volumetric.

In the beta4 screenies it doesn't look like it. It seems as if though (as if though) they are all spawned on three 2-rectangulair, giant squares and that's it. Totally not creating the illusion of volumetric explosions and smoke.

I still have yet to see a game that does the particles so well from an artist perspective (so not technically) that make explosions actually look volumetric!

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 09:30:38 pm »

I still have yet to see a game that does the particles so well from an artist perspective (so not technically) that make explosions actually look volumetric!

To pull that off, we'd probably have to make the rolling explosions a model with a bunch of different animations. While this would be nice, it isn't really necessary as ingame the rolling explosions look pretty good when they're moving as a dozen tiny animated sprites on top of a few large ones with heat waves, debris, and smoke coming out of it.

[Fixed first word -SLX]
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 12:37:55 am by Josh [SLX] »
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Nymph

• Mud Pies
  • Agent
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 06:56:30 pm »