GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 11:09:27 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Level Designer Application - Rob Howland  (Read 6526 times)

Obsidian1269

Level Designer Application - Rob Howland
« on: December 08, 2009, 09:17:23 pm »

Name: Rob Howland
Position Desired: Level Designer
Relevant Experience: http://www.robhowland.net/gg_de.html
Programs Used: Hammer, Maya, Photoshop
Email: Obsidian1269@gmail.com
AIM: Obsidian1242
Additional Experience: http://www.robhowland.net/tanker_trouble.html
Demo Reel: http://www.robhowland.net/demoreel.html

Note: I will be in Japan until the end of 2009 but I should have sufficient e-mail access while I am away. I will be available for work in 2010. Money is nice and all but I'm here for the experience and the opportunity to work on a strong motivated team of talented individuals so I do not expect this to be a paid job. I look forward to hearing from you.

-Rob

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: Level Designer Application - Rob Howland
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 02:53:21 am »

I am going to be blunt, because I think you need this criticism at this stage.

When you show a Demo Reel that has 90% of the maps being all developer textures, you are NOT presenting yourself as a professional mapper.

When the first map of your demo reel has absolutely no lighting, detailed texture, or flow, you are NOT presenting yourself as a professional mapper.

Tanker trouble did not even come close to selling me that you progressed from your CSS days. There was absolutely no atmosphere, just a red light in one room and NO LIGHTS in the rest of the ship. The ship itself, be it a tanker, is absolutely too large to be of any good, especially for Left for Dead (4 players!!).

I don't think you have the skills that we require for this team. Compare any one of our maps with yours and you instantly see a huge rift in the level of talent and skill.

de_thai2

ge_aztec

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 04:38:20 am »

Shh, dont show that yet :P

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 04:48:37 am »

KM, I actually see some great potential out of his CSS maps. I would like to bump him to trial, for a map. He is familear with outdoor settings, let me double check the avaliable maps.

Can someone bump him please.

@KM, I do not want to override your work, I just feel like with some proper guidance from myself, he could be come a great mapper. As i said, I do see potential in him.

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 05:24:57 am »

also your site for me felt a bit difficult to navigate.

if your trying out to be a level designer, employers don't give a shit about your web designing ability's, they are not impressed with flash, music or anything like that.

make the most simple and straight forward presentation of your work, that requires the least amount of clicks to see your portfolio.

the way you have things organized right now is a bit weird i thought.

i agree with monkey though that you could use a bit more practice.
but since sharp is willing to take you under his wing, its basically on his shoulders now to train you lol.

ill bump you to trail
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 05:29:20 am »

It would have to be Jungle or caverns_classic...

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 06:04:57 am »

He didn't do any of his own prop or texture work for the maps (as stated on his site) so I am unsure of his abilities in all aspects.

He can trial, but I hold my reservations.
Pages: [1]   Go Up