GoldenEye: Source Forums

• October 19, 2024, 11:37:50 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: GoldenEye: Source Achievements  (Read 182407 times)

terps4life90

Re: GoldenEye: Source Achievements
« Reply #210 on: October 20, 2010, 12:37:03 am »

Here is one i think is pretty good. You "MUST" be oddjob and slap/kill bond 50 times to get the Achievement. The achievement will be called  "judo-Chopped"! Got the idea from the Goldfinger movie where bond gets judo-chopped while he is looking in the fridge for more wine.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 12:44:22 am by terps4life90 »

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
« Reply #211 on: October 20, 2010, 02:10:36 pm »

Oh please...
it's just another "do it like x times/play enough to do it x times"-thing and the deed itself is neither fun nor challenging.

I'd like to see more like "Russian Roulette", "Shaken, But Not Disturbed", "Domino Effect", "The World Is Not Enough", "The Man Who Cannot Die", "Scaramanga's Pride", "Target Practice", "Bond, James Bond", "Viashinowned" and "Number One With The Bullet", but that's just me.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #212 on: October 20, 2010, 04:21:19 pm »

The mod has a lot of achievements already, and I think there is such thing as 'too much'. Whilst I'm certain there is room for more achievements, I feel that remaining capacity for achievements should be reserved for purposeful, skill and gamplay based achivements.

Grinding weapon achievements like Pking Soup and RCP 4 Death are okay in moderation, but really serve no purpose other than encouraging the use of specific weapons. As cooldisguise said they're neither fun nor challenging. Some even work against the concept of the gameplay like Break A Leg and ultimately don't work.

Also something has to be said for naming achievements, because I see a lot of examples of people who don't seem to 'get' the idea. Most of the achievements already in GE:S have pun names which reference the Bond universe, not only that but they also have relevance to the achievement itself. So when I see name suggestions like Parkour or Quad-Kill... I have to say I grimace because it's just so literal and unimaginative it makes my brain hurt.

Anyway...  :angel:
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

terps4life90

« Reply #213 on: October 20, 2010, 05:06:38 pm »

I do believe mine was well thought out, it references bond in some way, and yes i understand the whole "do this 50 times with whatever" is boring but really what other kind of achievements are there? The majority of the achievements in Goldeneye source are like that or in the same form. If my achievement ideas where ever used metaphorically speaking I would name it because it was my idea. I like to think ahead hence why I usually have a name for the achievement.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 05:09:53 pm by terps4life90 »

WNxEuphonic

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 106
  • WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!
    • Euphonic.dev
« Reply #214 on: October 20, 2010, 05:59:06 pm »

I do believe mine was well thought out, it references bond in some way, and yes i understand the whole "do this 50 times with whatever" is boring but really what other kind of achievements are there? The majority of the achievements in Goldeneye source are like that or in the same form. If my achievement ideas where ever used metaphorically speaking I would name it because it was my idea. I like to think ahead hence why I usually have a name for the achievement.

I see two problems with your achievement: The first is that it isn't something that would come up through normal gameplay (You have to be playing as Jaws, startarmed has to be set so you have slappers instead of knife, they have to be playing as Bond, then you have to kill them using slappers, then repeat 50 times)...it's ridiculous to expect someone to do that. This is in the same group as some other poorly thought out achievements -- it'll be an achievement you can only get by farming achievements with friends.

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 372
  • Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #215 on: October 20, 2010, 06:12:35 pm »

Quad kill was named after that near impossible to get award in GE (Titled Quad Kill (Doh!)) that you could only get by killing yourself plus the other 3 players.  Makes sense it wasn't an award in GE:S as there are more than 4 players and it would confuse people when it came up, but i always wanted to see it referenced in some way.

But, in hindsight, i guess it really doesn't work as an achievement name for the reason Mangley specified, as well as the fact people would confuse it for some uninspired quake ripoff or the like (since I'm doubting most people ever saw that award in the first place).

Also, I really would like to see more, and more difficult achievements, but please, PLEASE, stop with the unnecessary character based ones.  Killing Alec with timed mines 25 times took me a month of playing bond because of how infrequently a good timed mine opportunity comes up where the other player just happens to be Alec.
"By reading this, you’ve done more than you can imagine." - Adrian

terps4life90

« Reply #216 on: October 20, 2010, 06:15:22 pm »

I see two problems with your achievement: The first is that it isn't something that would come up through normal gameplay (You have to be playing as Jaws, startarmed has to be set so you have slappers instead of knife, they have to be playing as Bond, then you have to kill them using slappers, then repeat 50 times)...it's ridiculous to expect someone to do that. This is in the same group as some other poorly thought out achievements -- it'll be an achievement you can only get by farming achievements with friends.

If you believe that this was a poor idea then you and i have 2 totally different understandings. It's called an achievement for a reason, achieving isn't always easy.

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #217 on: October 20, 2010, 08:40:42 pm »

Do you know the Torchlight achievements? I have all those - it sucked pretty much doin things like selling too much stuff or drinking too much potions on purpose. So I'd totally try to do that Slapper achievement, too - although I don't think it'd be fun.

Quad kill was named after that near impossible to get award in GE (Titled Quad Kill (Doh!)) that you could only get by killing yourself plus the other 3 players.  Makes sense it wasn't an award in GE:S as there are more than 4 players and it would confuse people when it came up, but i always wanted to see it referenced in some way.

But, in hindsight, i guess it really doesn't work as an achievement name for the reason Mangley specified, as well as the fact people would confuse it for some uninspired quake ripoff or the like (since I'm doubting most people ever saw that award in the first place).

Also, I really would like to see more, and more difficult achievements, but please, PLEASE, stop with the unnecessary character based ones.  Killing Alec with timed mines 25 times took me a month of playing bond because of how infrequently a good timed mine opportunity comes up where the other player just happens to be Alec.

Still haven't got all those timed mines kills because hardly anyone plays Alec. Character based achievements can be fun -  as long as only YOU have to be a specific character.

If you believe that this was a poor idea then you and i have 2 totally different understandings. It's called an achievement for a reason, achieving isn't always easy.

But it should feel like you achieved something - not like "farming", doing the same thing (which in itself is easy) over and over again till you hit twelve billion times or something.

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 372
  • Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #218 on: October 20, 2010, 09:30:08 pm »

Still haven't got all those timed mines kills because hardly anyone plays Alec. Character based achievements can be fun -  as long as only YOU have to be a specific character.

Oh, of course.  When i said "Unnecessary character based achievements" i intended that to be seen as "Achievements involving too many characters/specific characters when there is no need".  I enjoy achievements like "I AM INVINCIBLE", or "You can't win" because they encourage players to behave a certain way and and those players are prevented from getting the achievement accidentally as they must be a specified character.

But, then we have achievements like "As bond kill Ourumov 50 times with the pp7 while he is about to kill Natalya while Xenia and Alec are in the room but on the opposite side of you" which take eons to get and aren't something you aim for, but instead just play as the specified character and hope occur.  Sure, there's a corresponding scene in the movie, but one of the nice elements of Goldeneye is that it didn't follow the movie closely if it meant compromising game play.  We should follow the same rule here and adapt the name to the nature of the achievement and not the other way around.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 09:49:44 pm by Entropy-Soldier »
"By reading this, you’ve done more than you can imagine." - Adrian

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #219 on: October 21, 2010, 01:25:07 am »

You all know that you can get the bond / alec achievement with ANY mine, right? I believe there is a typo in the description, but the code accepts all three mines.

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #220 on: October 21, 2010, 01:20:12 pm »

Well, frankly I didn't know. Since I play Alec myself, I only changed to Bond if there was another Alec AND timed mines. That information should really speed up the process, thank you.

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #221 on: October 22, 2010, 02:34:34 pm »

I just edited "For England Alec" in the english source file as well as the german translation. Furthermore "Hayday Mayday" has been updated in the german translation, since it wasn't before.

Ruone Delacroix

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Ruone Delacroix has no influence.
    • Nexus of Gaming
« Reply #222 on: November 09, 2010, 09:46:25 pm »

^^go and play CoD: Goldeneye on Wii.

You really hit the nail on the head with that before it came out. I've been calling it that since release.
Admin of {TLP} Tastes Like Pants

Proud player of Goldeneye: Source. Keep up the great work, team!

WNxEuphonic

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 106
  • WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!
    • Euphonic.dev
« Reply #223 on: January 11, 2011, 10:53:26 pm »

Key Player
Criteria: Win a round of Team CTK with only capture points (No kills)
Icon:

That !Voodoo that You Do
Criteria: As the Baron, use your voodoo powers 30 times in LaLD
Icon:

Bye Bye Baron
Criteria: Kill the Baron with the Golden Gun 50 times in LaLD
Icon:

Flag Tag
Criteria: Whack a fellow flag carrier with your flag 70 times in LD
Icon:

Emilia

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #224 on: January 12, 2011, 12:07:39 am »

I think for Flag Tag it should be kill, not whack. Killing someone with the flag is a lot harder because of the low damage the flag does. Just giving them an nice old slap is way too easy.
MaJoR: "This is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo getting to be awesome"
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21   Go Up