GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 08:48:59 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: ge_qlab  (Read 12565 times)

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
ge_qlab
« on: August 30, 2009, 11:11:40 am »

Yeah, that's right, I'm going to make my first map ever, if we don't count with the tutorial on the Valve Developer's Wiki and my huge cubes with yellow lighting.

For this task I've chosen to do Q's Lab, as presented on GoldenEye. I'm still in the phase of collecting info and coming up with ideas but one thing is certain: if I find the porp of a sandwich, I'll include it.

I'll post more information as soon as I have it.

The Cy

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!
Re: ge_qlab
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 02:22:19 pm »

yeah, that´s great  :D 
finished: ge_funhouse v4 Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?urjfs3ra2zdslcz

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 02:51:54 pm »

I sense an opportunity to make a promo video using this, our Scientist models that should be done by months ago, and GMod.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 03:18:20 pm »

I actually tried making a Q-lab map a year or so ago (back when my mapping skills weren't so good). I'll be curious to see how you do your map.

our Scientist models that should be done by months ago

The hands and feet don't fit the rig, stretching UVs ftl.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Maxaxle

• ge_paintball 1
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Maxaxle has no influence.
    • My site
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 09:18:44 pm »

Please, please PLEASE have lots of traps and such! Maybe even add a few things that Q gives to 007 in Goldeneye! And, if you can, add that one spiked door that crushes you if you use the knocker (I saw it in a Bond movie that I forget the name of)

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 11:37:09 pm »

ha, I have been wanting to jump on the mapping train again for a while..can't quite find the time for it yet....if I can help you at all PPK, I will do what I can. My mapping knowledge is pretty basic though. :(

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

Josh [SLX]

• Wrestling game designer
  • 00 Agent
  • Josh [SLX] is looked down upon.
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 04:18:53 am »

I think just the Q-lab itself will be a little small for a map, but a large lab with some other hallways of MI-6 will give the map some breathing room. Use the N64 version of The World is Not Enough if you need an Idea of how MI-6 is laid out.

Digging this idea though.
Current Projects: Runway, Bunker, Aztec Textures

Ruone Delacroix

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Ruone Delacroix has no influence.
    • Nexus of Gaming
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 04:52:48 pm »

Good luck on the map, PPK. Too bad you can't make that phonebooth with the body-sized airbag!
Admin of {TLP} Tastes Like Pants

Proud player of Goldeneye: Source. Keep up the great work, team!

Maxaxle

• ge_paintball 1
  • Secret Agent
  • Maxaxle has no influence.
    • My site
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 10:34:21 pm »

Good luck on the map, PPK. Too bad you can't make that phonebooth with the body-sized airbag!
Oh yeah. That was awesome. But not as awesome as the couch trap or tea tray railgun.

CCsaint10

• CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 09:36:57 pm »

Soooo..PPK...How is your mapping coming? :D I smell phail...... :D :D :D

PPK

• PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 12:33:58 pm »

Soooo..PPK...How is your mapping coming? :D I smell phail...... :D :D :D

Yeah, I smell fail too, but my scanner phail. I had put up a floor plan of the map, but my scanner isn't coping. Maybe later today I can edit this post with the scan, if it works...

EDIT: I'm gonna have to draw it somewhere other than paper since my scanner doesn't want to cooperate. In the meantime, eat biscuits. I'll get an update soon.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 02:49:11 pm by PPK »

CCsaint10

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 09:02:24 pm »

No prob :D Just curious since the tread died. I have been considering doing a map myself since I got my hammer set up FINALLY working. Damn vista DPI settings fuckin it up...anyways, have any suggestions of what to make since all goldeneye maps are pretty much underway and I am not super advanced. Maybe start out with something mediocre to work my way up/expand as I get my skills down...anyone?

PPK

• Warrior Nation
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 09:07:56 pm »

Yeah, it died because I'm slow on the updates. And I'll be slow from now on as well. Why? I'll let you guys know why:

1. The map I'm making is not a recreation of an original GoldenEye map, nor from any other game. Therefore, before I start meddling with Hammer, I need to get the layout done right.
2. This map is probably going to require some custom third-party work in terms of textures and decals.
3. I want to get this perfect before I release it, even if it takes forever.

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 12:41:03 am »

Might wanna take a look at the heavy sandwich from TF2 ;)  As a temp till you get a sub.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

PPK

• Warrior Nation
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 12:50:56 pm »

Might wanna take a look at the heavy sandwich from TF2 ;)  As a temp till you get a sub.

Good thinking... GES maps do lack the nom nom.

PPK

• Warrior Nation
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2009, 08:15:27 pm »

Bumping for updates.

Goodies: a draft of Q's Lab lower floor plan.

Note: not all the secret passages are signalled and there's still one floor to show. No props are signalled either, hence this being a floor plan. Keep in mind this is a WIP, so some changes may be made, like rounding the corners :).

CCsaint10

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 04:43:50 pm »

Nice floor plan. Quite a project just looking at the floor plan. Hope you keep at it. :)

mookie

• Idiot
  • 00 Agent
  • mookie is looked down upon.
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 05:39:31 pm »

Thoughts:

The spawns in the water closets seem bad because there's no weapon handy.

The observation area seems useless. If it's a dead end, and no items spawn inside, and you can't shoot through the glass, it may as well be locked off.

It doesn't seem good that you can see clear from the elevator into the experiments room, for gameplay, optimization, or logic.

It seems like there are already too many secret passages, and this is only half the level. It might be better to just have a tight hallway running from the warehouse to the stairs/security and leave R's office a dead end.

There should be another way out of the experiments room, or the hallway between there and the wind tunnel. As it is, a player can seal off those two areas just by controlling the hallway. If the upper level goes this far south, this area might be a good place for a third stairway.
5 2 3 7 1 4 6 0

PPK

• Warrior Nation
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 05:54:24 pm »

Thoughts:

The spawns in the water closets seem bad because there's no weapon handy.

The observation area seems useless. If it's a dead end, and no items spawn inside, and you can't shoot through the glass, it may as well be locked off.

It doesn't seem good that you can see clear from the elevator into the experiments room, for gameplay, optimization, or logic.

It seems like there are already too many secret passages, and this is only half the level. It might be better to just have a tight hallway running from the warehouse to the stairs/security and leave R's office a dead end.

There should be another way out of the experiments room, or the hallway between there and the wind tunnel. As it is, a player can seal off those two areas just by controlling the hallway. If the upper level goes this far south, this area might be a good place for a third stairway.

I see what you mean. Keep in mind that BP glass can be shot through and just because you see an opening on the map doesn't mean there will be an open-able door. It's just for convenience; to tell me where to put the doors.

The building will probably go that far south since I want it to be a more or less big map (there are 11 spawns on the lower level only). Still, you gave me an idea: I may use the Observation area as a weapon spawn or an ammo spawn, discarding the bathroom spawns problem you pointed out. I might use it to spawn the level 6 ammo and leave the level 6 weapon spawn where it is (they are close to one another).

I may also move the elevator a bit left for optimization purposes, as you pointed out. The experiments room will have another way out, don't worry. I've stated not all the secret passages are shown, right? :)

Thanks for the feedback, mookie.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up