GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 10:21:19 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Really pathetic issue that I can't figure out.....  (Read 11261 times)

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
Really pathetic issue that I can't figure out.....
« on: June 07, 2009, 07:11:44 am »

Hey guys,

Ok, so this could be either a really noob question or it could be something I never figure out..ahhaa. Anyways, I decided that I wanted to start doing some more mapping again tonight and set the whole sdk up for beta 3 and so on (finally got it all done). However, as soon as I loaded it up and made a couple of walls with the tool I then decided "hey, lets go look at my walls and see how they look" right? Well wrong, as soon as i hit "z" on my keyboard to go into "free camera mode" I get stuck in this eternal spinning in the window either looking down or looking up. No matter what key on my keyboard I hit it doesn't stop it from spinning as soon as I try to move anywhere. On top of that, I have restarted hammer and tried it on the left 4 dead authoring editor and they both continue to do that. Both are stuck in an endless spinning. I never had this problem with the ep1 engine when I used to map. Anybody have any ideas how to fix this so I can make a block wall and look at it and actually start mapping again? :D It would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys,
Saint

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
Re: Really pathetic issue that I can't figure out.....
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 02:39:11 pm »

I used to get a problem similar to this where the camera would start flying in one direction and couldn't be stopped until I smacked my keyboard enough for it to stop out by the outskirts of the grid. Try doing something like that, hit every key on you keyboard from left to right until it stops (I know it sounds stupid, but it works). Restarting Hammer usually can fix the issue too.

Anyway, I usually use the little buttons on the left side of hammer instead of keyboard shortcuts to avoid messing anything up.

Once you make the spinning stop, select the camera tool, and click in one of the 2D views to place it. Then use the 3D window to navigate to your brush.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 02:40:57 pm by The SSL »
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

CCsaint10

• CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 04:25:01 pm »

well that is the thing man...I have restarted hammer multiple times and it still does this same shit. It is really getting on my nerves. I can't navigate at all. I guess I will try your suggestion of hitting the keyboard (sounds fun) but other than that, can anyone else be of assistance?

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 04:27:50 pm »

do you have "-engine ep2" in the start up commands?

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

CCsaint10

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 09:15:03 pm »

yep, tried that with you man. Still doing it....it also did it in the episode 1 engine now. I don't get it.... Anyone else have any ideas?

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 03:05:11 am »

type this into the console: format c: -f

Should fix your problem ;-)

Kujo

• Tester
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Kujo has no influence.
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 04:55:09 am »

type this into the console: format c: -f

Should fix your problem ;-)

And by console, km means your windows command line :) I also happen to agree, sounds like its time for a format.

CCsaint10

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 06:28:00 am »

no way man. I just got this computer and did a reformat about 6 months ago. I keep it maintained and up to speed/running really well to where it should be. There has to be another solution. Someone has got to know why this happens....anyone else have any ideas?

jjmusicnotes

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 08:46:32 pm »

I have no idea if this would help, but have you tried refreshing your SDK content?  Or resetting the mod configurations?

Have you tried opening up something in hammer that wasn't configured for GES?  Because if it doesn't do that for a map for CSS or HL2 or something, then it might be the way you configured GES - just a thought.

Could it have something to do with your graphics card?

Since you mentioned that you haven't mapped in awhile, are you sure you're putting the camera in the level correctly?

I don't know much about hammer at all, but it would make sense to try and troubleshoot as much as possible before you reformat.  I mean, what would you do if you reformatted and the issue still occurred?

Hope it helps.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 02:41:38 am »

HAHA, Saint I am kiddin bro. However, I do suspect you have a problem with your settings in Hammer. There are settings in the options menu that control the speed of the camera and such, make sure that those are valid. Your gameconfig.txt could have become corrupted in the SDK folder (happens all the time, thanks Steam) and it set some invalid options, namely max turn rate 100000000 :)

EDIT: So max turn rate doesn't exist, but there is an option to disable mouselook navigation. Have you tried that?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 02:59:19 am by killermonkey »

CCsaint10

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 05:10:32 am »

So I was able to disable the mouse navigation, however, how is that going to help me to move around...that makes it so I can't see anything or move, and using the keyboard is a pain the ass....there is no reason why my mouse shouldn't work...

CCsaint10

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 07:02:26 am »

well, sorry to bump this tread...but I haven't gotten a single response from the steam community forums about my problem...and there doesn't seem to be anything else suggested here. Anything else I could do that you guys know of? Should I reformat my computer as a last resort?

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 01:59:06 pm »

LOL don't reformat. Have you tried to completely uninstall, wipe out, copy 0's over 10 times the sourcesdk folder and the gcf? If not try doing that and do a *fresh* install of sourcesdk and make sure you are not opted into the beta sdk program.

CCsaint10

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 01:40:06 am »

so sorry but what do you mean exactly by copy over 0s and 10 times...not sure if I am getting that. I have tried deleting my whole steam folder and reinstalling everything (except for goldeneye source and _release) and it is still doing it.....GRRRR. For some reason though, even after deleteing the whole steam folder, it still managed to save some settings in my hammer when i loaded it up (like the smoothing groups poped up when i opened it) so it must have not gotten ALL reset. There are most likely registry entries. Anyways, could you clarify that thing or give me any other ideas. I am thinking it is my video card though....I used to have a Nvidia card and it worked on but now i have an ati card...and it hasn't worked so far. I tried updating my drivers and such (which are the latest) and that didn't help....any ideas would be appreciated before I reformat. :D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 01:42:34 am by CCsaint10 [bklax23] »

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 04:10:38 am »

Deffinately need to reinstall completely (including GES)! Also, deleate those registries! If you dont know where to find them, VC does!

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up