• April 28, 2024, 07:27:36 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Statue  (Read 9455 times)

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
Statue
« on: June 01, 2009, 01:59:56 am »

I think that most of us can agree that Statue was one of the worst, if not the works level in GoldenEye 007, but why is that? Why is this one level regarded so much lower than the other levels?

Personally I think it suffers from "Caves" syndrome. The level is too dark, and there is no obvious path to follow, even though it is quite linear. Another thing that brings down the level is the fog. With it, you can't see that far in front of you, and you might not realize that you are traveling in circles. Lastly, even though we are dealing with Multiplayer right now, I hated how it seemed there was an endless supply of enemies, just popping in beyond your field of view.

What are your views of Statue? What did you like, and what did you hate? Currently I don't think there is any development on the map, so anything said here could be usefull in the future.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: Statue
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 02:50:25 am »

Lets see....

on 00 Agent you get a BARELY legit time limit to run your ass back to the choppa (couldn't resist) in the worst fog ever (worse than George's Bank??) while some cracked out Russian scum fucks try to mow you down every 5 seconds!

Yes it is the worst level...

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 08:45:54 am »

Well, even if your familiar with the map you'll still have problems to find your way through.
The Guards are armed good, very dangerouse and spawning endlessly.
Last but not least the fuckin Blackbox from the Helicopter likes to drop at a random location so you can be lucky and find it nearby or you'll have to travel back the half statue park to find it, which isn't really good when you're low at health.

As for the caves syndrom, i was hating caves on the original game, but when i played the caves on GES a while i got familiar with it and now i don't hate even the original map anymore.

So i guess if there would be a good remake of this map, it could cause the same effect as caves.

jjmusicnotes

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 02:49:53 pm »

It always bothered me playing statue because I consistently forgot where I had been, and was turned around often.  Sometimes it took me 4 seconds to find Valentin, other times it took me probably 20 minutes.

It was also obnoxious to find the hill where you met Janus, and if you didn't do everything in the right order (e.g - put your gun away, and not move until they start shooting at you,) you failed that part of the mission.

Meanwhile, Natalia's yelling you from the choppa, you've got like 15 seconds to find the flight recorder, and sometimes the game glitches and throws it way out in the middle of nowhere (or at least it felt that way.)

I think people don't like it because the entire level is high-stress oriented.  Most levels offer breaks from combat, allowing Bond to sneak around and follow secret routes that most people develop.  I don't think Statue offers any "resting" time for the player to explore the level - making all the more confusing as you're trying to accomplish your 15 objectives.

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 07:52:36 pm »

I didn't dislike it as much. It was not my favourite, though. After I learned my way around (it took me about 4 tries), I even kind of enjoyed its frantic nature. The guards were tough, that's for sure and the random-spawning black box was a big pain-in-the-ass, but you could use the automatic shotgun and that was a plus.

On 00 Agent mode it was more of a "run like hell" mission, but still accomplishable.

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 08:31:14 pm »

There could be plenty of fixes for this, specific colored lights in different areas to show where you are. Fog, no fog for specific parts, models that say cirtain things like "Area ABCD", even decals of the parks layout saying "you are here". There should be no real problem with this map other than the fact that everyone hates it...

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

Storm101

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Storm101 has no influence.
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 09:18:18 pm »

I think this would make a great map. With the darkness and all the statues to use as cover, it would be really fun. You would learn the map over time, so navigating it wouldn't be much of an issue. It's not like you regularly played this map on the N64, so of course you wouldn't know it very well.

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 03:02:15 am »

Other than the random black-box, I didn't really find the level to be a pain in the ass at all. The damn guards were a pain cause they would spawn everywhere, but overall, I was able to navigate the level no problem and I never had a problem making it back from the chopper on 00 Agent. All I would do is strafe the whole way back and shoot guys as they came and I wasn't that rushed for time. It was a pain to get down the level layout, but once you got it, it was just making sure you kill the guys in a timely manner and didn't get hit, the rest was cake. But yeah, not my favorite level at all. :D

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up