GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 08:27:49 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ge_mislab  (Read 6394 times)

Kujo

• Tester
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Kujo has no influence.
ge_mislab
« on: March 26, 2009, 10:08:32 am »

I have been working on a custom map for a little while now, trying to learn the ropes to hammer and map editing.  This is my first map that isn't just a large single colored cube of some sort :P

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3606/3387318756_52183ca8a0_b.jpg
^^ Click for bigger version ^^

The map is modeled after the MIS Lab I work in on campus, which is also where the server happens to be that I host the Bradley University GE:S games from (thus the mainframe looking "rack" in the corner of the room).

Although this map will never be very practical to play in because of its size, I might eventually expand the map to the rest of the building that the lab is in.

It's still a WIP, but I figured I would post it here, as I think I may have mentioned it a couple times in game to a few of you.

Let me know what you think and where I can improve, but don't be to harsh, as I am still learning and it is still a WIP :)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 03:40:46 pm by Kujo »

Sp1nn3y

• Local Graphic Artist
  • 00 Agent
  • Sp1nn3y has no influence.
    • Sp1nn3ys Portfolio Website
Re: ge_mislab
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 04:04:20 pm »

I like it.. Looks good, nice and clean but remember the most important thing in a map is maneuverability and i see only one way to get from under the picture to what looks like the door(thats if under the screen there is a door) :-p also it seems you have dead ends.. which cause problems esp if this is for GE:S a dm style game.. but all out i like it.. it's.. clean.

Kujo

• Tester
  • Secret Agent
  • Kujo has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 05:55:20 pm »

yeah, I wasn't really going for playability, I was mainly trying to recreate the room as accurately as possible (and when was the last time a computer lab was ever described as having maneuverability? LoL)

I'll consider stuff like that if I every decide to expand the map to more of the building and make it a playable map

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 06:51:25 pm »

universities tend to dislike it when students model their buildings for "killing" games, just to be frank. but it looks sweet

X-tra

• -
  • 00 Agent
  • X-tra is looked down upon.
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 07:32:24 pm »

Look nice. Maybe a little overdose of models, but it's ok.  ;)
Just in case, I'm French. So if you see that some of my sentences dosen't make any sens, you know why. But hey, who care anyway ?

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 10:03:45 pm »

Looks good. Lots of props (bad news for or low fps guys). You should model my University. I don't think the students (and some teachers) would mind.

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 10:14:34 pm »

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/05/02/1839251

Universities aren't as bad... but might wanna not have to much detailed, and maybe hold off on naming it after the school. Might get away with mapping a wing of the school/building.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Kujo

• Tester
  • Secret Agent
  • Kujo has no influence.
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 10:42:45 pm »

wow, that's ridiculous, arresting the poor kid? But all those things aside, I wasn't really planning on publicly releasing this.  It is mostly a learning challenge and something a few of my friends here at the University might play around with at LAN parties.  But I'll be sure to keep that in mind, as I hadn't really considered any potential consequences to making the map.

Thanks for the feedback guys, and I'm enjoying learning the ways of map making :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up